Ayton

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Sep 18, 2023.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I get that he hasn't lived up to the expectations of a #1, but god people just love to have a hate boner for this guy. I really don't get it. He isn't even in the top 10 most disappointing Blazers of my generation.

2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

We knew he was a number one pick that only got a max contract because the Pacers overpaid on an offer sheet when we got him. The guy is a way better than the average starting C in this league. He's able to protect the paint while switching out on the perimeter, he makes the shots he's supposed to on the block and he rebounds the fucking ball.

I don't think he should get max money on his next contract and he won't but I hope we still have him when we're actually trying to win games because his track record is that he's a guy that starts on rosters that win games both in the regular season and playoffs. Obviously with you I'm preaching to the choir but I hope a lot of other fans get their heads on straight. This is what a solid starting C in today's NBA looks like and he's the only fucking guy who was available to play tonight that I want starting on this team in the future unless an upgrade falls in our lap.

3. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I don't think he's disappointing because he's been just about who I expected him to be

I was disappointed that Portland traded for him and seemingly over-valued him enough to chase him for a couple of years, but I guess they have to overpay somebody under the new CBA

comparing him to Whiteside may be off-base, and maybe a couple of posters have "hate boners" for him. That's extreme

but I think you guys are carrying the rebuttal praise a little too far in the other direction. He is what he is and among NBA centers, he's:

* a good shooter
    * strong rebounder
    * less effective scorer than he is a shooter
    * poor passer
    * bad screen setter
    * average defender at best
    * below average paint defender
    * weak rim-protector

as for paint defense and rim protection: Blazers are 28th in opponent FG% at rim; 23rd in the 3-10'zone; 25th in the 10-16'zone; and yes, there are other factors than Ayton, who has missed games. Last season, with Nurkic playing 52 games Portland was 7th in opponent FG% at rim

I personally prefer defense, rim protection and rebounding out of a starting C. Ayton has one of those covered. He can obviously improve in the other two areas, but he'll be 26 next season so I'm not sure how much more defensive upside he has

4. Natebishop3

It's not even so much this forum. It's Reddit and other places. There is a huge anti-Ayton movement online. Not just Blazer fans or Suns fans.

Whyachi likes this.
  5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

ok...I don't do reddit or twitter; just this place and occasionally at RealGM

Ayton is definitely overpaid compared to his impact. But it isn't one of the egregious albatross contracts floating around the NBA

Phatguysrule and blazerkor like this.
  6. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    You can't blame not winning on Ayton, IMHO. Not with this roster. He has been delivering of late and every stat on a tanking team is an empty stat in theory.

BIG Q and HailBlazers like this.
  7. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I agree with you that Ayton is definitely not a max player and I also agree with you that him being one isn't close to one of the worst max contracts in the league. I think he's a net positive out there, I think he's obviously a guy who needs to have better guys around him on both ends to show his best. Like I've said, he's the only guy on the team right now with a significant body of work that I'd really like to see on the team when we're trying to win in the playoffs again. That has two major caveats: one that by that time he's likely on a much better contract and two if someone better is to fall in our lap in the draft or somehow in a trade that makes sense, I'm not too attached to the guy to not want an upgrade.

8. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    We should have never traded Nurk for Ayton. Nurk is the better C and makes less money.

9. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Disagree. Nurk wasn't going to be happy here in losing mode. And he's older than Ayton.

Ayton actually has a chance to be a difference maker if we start winning in a few years.

I don't care how much Ayton is paid on his current contract.

10. Natebishop3

Nurk didn't want to be here. He's older now. He's injury prone. He's inconsistent.

And we got Camara out of the deal. There's no downside.

11. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Good point. Forgot about Camara.

12. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm pleasantly surprised that Ayton is producing even in the face of losing every night. While I am not a massive fan of his game (he's not a big-time shotblocker and he doesn't pass not stretch the defense as well as I'd prefer in a center) and he's overpaid, he's been at least as good as I was hoping when we got him.

It will be interesting to see if he's still around when we have a good team... I hope so, and at age 25 it seems likely.

13. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst

Disagree. I've seen nothing to make me believe Ayton is less injury prone than Nurk. I also think Ayton is less consistent than Nurk. I didn't understand the move at the time and I still don't.

14. Natebishop3

What's not to understand? He specifically said that if Dame was traded, they'd all be traded. I didn't see any indication that he wanted to be here. He didn't fit our rebuild window.

Wizard Mentor and HoopsFanAZ like this.
  15. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

I dont get how people can fuss about brogdon or grant's age not lining up with the Blazers rebuild but then not consider that Nurkic will be 30 in August.

16. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Ayton was worth the gamble. If it does not work, it's replacing one piece that did not work (Nurk) for another. If it works when this team is good, even better. Add TC to the equation and this was the kind of trade you hope a FO does for a team in Portland's situation every time.

17. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

HISTORY: Ayton wasn’t getting max years, max $$$, and max raises from Phoenix, but he wasn’t walking out the door. [Besides not deserving it, Phoenix also wanted to preserve the opportunity to trade for a young fella on a max 2nd contract, and a true max to Ayton would have nixed that possibility.]. When a trade did not happen PRIOR to the Indiana offer, it was a matter of time until Monty would want him gone. That was an easy call back then.

Ayton at $34 MM and $35.5 MM for two years is tradeable; I wouldn’t expect a wide open market, but it’s fine. I’d prefer a trade, but his weaknesses are fixable if he wants to do so. I hope for a Sarr-sized mini-miracle. Short of that, fix the forwards.

Samuel and RR7 like this.
  18. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

here's a DA highlight package from 2 years ago. He had some wheels, Ayton could book down the court.

I know he's been dealing with knee injuries. I honestly don't remember seeing Deandre running full court sprint during his games in Portland.

*on a side note, better floor spacing, more intricate play calling, and really good passers seem to help Ayton's game.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  19. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    Some people just love to hate though. Period.

BBert likes this.
  20. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    In Nurk’s 12 seasons, he has only played in 60 or more games four times.
    Ayton has played in 60 or more games three of his six seasons, with a fourth at 58 games.
    That’s pretty telling on the injury side of things.

Then there is Camara.
    Then there is the age factor.

Im not getting your take at all. Sorry.

Eastoff, Samuel, PCmor7 and 2 others like this.