Baron Davis Opts Out, Signs with Clippers

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I think that Nelson is gonna stick Monta at the PG and basically make it an on-the-job learning position. Of course we all know that Monta lacks the pg's mentality, and needs to greatly work on his passing and ballhandling.

There's a few possiblities as far as younger guys go, but if we had to stick with a younger guy I'd stick with CJ Watson. All in all, none of these guys fit that well with us, I'd rather go to the free agents, but maybe some of these guys could use a look in the summer league, either on our roster or if they're invited by other teams. In the NBDL, there's veteran Eddie Gill who's still not great with the ball, Earl Calloway who's basically decent at everything and a good defender, but not outstanding. There's a few undrafted guys, Mike Green, Jamont Gordon, or Jamar Butler come to mind, Green and Butler being similar players (lacking size and athleticism for the position, but very controlled distributor types) and Gordon being more of an athletic, big combo-guard slasher type. I can't even think of any European players worth bringing over.

As far as vets, there's a lot of names that make you both think and cringe, because it's really clear that these guys have obvious strengths and weaknesses. The list goes from decent to reach, though. Chris Duhon, who can't shoot but is a good defender. Same can be said for Anthony Carter. Delonte West has bounced around the league quite a bit for a young guy, although he's restricted, as well as Sebastian Telfair. Flip Murray, I really haven't followed exactly what the heck has happened to his career, but maybe worth salvaging now. Carlos Arroyo, if he's not still mired in that slumped that sent him to the Orlando bench never to return. Jason Williams, who's broken down basically. And then there's Jamaal Tinsley if he's bought out as the rumors go.

Livingston was recently cleared to play/practice, but not competitively. The knee injury he suffered was severe, and he might not be able to play in the summer league even, so measuring his progress becomes difficult. Because of this, nobody really knows whether he's worth even a chance.

Of course, there's always the trade possibilities as well. Memphis as you pointed out is a prime candidate for trading with Mike Conley, Javaris Crittenton, and Kyle Lowry, and definitely have to do something because they also have Marco Jaric and Greg Buckner sitting in the backcourt bench. Of these, Lowry is considered the guy most available. The Bulls are also in a similar crowded-backcourt position, although like us they're forced to deal multiple matters such as how to handle their own free agents first, and now have Rose, Hinrich and Hughes without even considering Gordon. Rumors and logic say that Hinrich would be the odd guy out due to his contract. There's also been rumors that the Suns' Leandro Barbosa or the Bucks' Mo Williams are available, but both out of our reach, considering the only real trade chip we have is Al Harrington. Williams is the best guy out of the bunch, supposedly available due to arguments and chemistry issues with the team as well as the incredible late-season play of Ramon Sessions.

Other teams that we have to compete with that are in dire need of a PG are Cleveland, Denver, Miami, and New York. None have the cap space we do, but there's no players easily obtainable that are worth it.

*Edit: Anyone know the Summer League roster? The Warriors play July 11, but I've heard no rumors about even the guys being invited. Hm, I guess we'll see in 10 days.

2. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlleyOop @ Jul 2 2008, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well, I'd like to offer some bulleted points on what has been going on and what currently is going on with the Warriors.

* Baron revitalized this organization. If Mullin hadn't pulled off that COUP of a deal with NO, and then the trade with Indy, where would GS be? Who knows. Baron put this team back on the map. And saved us from the downward spiral of Dunmurphy. He gave GS some credibility and excitement, and he lit a fire under many of our players. He helped Biedrins become one of the top centers in the league (yes, one of the top). He played hard for GS, and for that I'm grateful. Baron Davis changed the shape of the franchise, and we're so much better off for it.

* It was probably time to go. He would have been gone anyway next year. Davis is a weird player. He's 29 years of age but he's an old 29. His style of play puts a ton of wear and tear on that body. Who knows if he'll ever have a season like the past 1 or 2 he's had. By next year, GS would have been emerging their young players, and I doubt Mully had any plans to resign him next year for what he was asking. Davis knew that NOW was his shot to cash in and get a good deal, and he wasn't getting the offer he wanted from GS.

* Mully has stockpiled a ridiculous collection of young talent and that doesn't really jive with such a dominant ego star like Baron. Honestly, Baron would hamper the emergent/development process of our young talent by demanding the spotlight. I know that's easy to say. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a great player if he stayed here. But, he would nonetheless control the ball for 90% of the time he's on the court, and that just never gives the young players a chance to fully jump in the pool with both feet. Yes, Monta is finally coming along, and Biedrins has been helped greatly by having Baron as the PG. But Baron is such a dominant personality, it seems to me like nobody else on the team can ever share that, can ever also feel fully dominant, fully confident, like they own the building. At least now, the stage is open for anybody on the team to step up show they are a star.

* The Warriors are not rebuilding. They are emerging. The playoffs were a taste of what they could be. It will be different without Baron. But honestly, in that playoff year, Andris Biedrins was my team MVP anyway. He was the only player on the team to play all 82 games, averaging 9/9, along with being the only interior defensive presence on the squad. Nellie would sometimes play him alongside Barnes at the PF and ask Biedrins to tangle with Boozer and Okur. The Warriors are different now. It's in the management, the coaches, the fans, the building. There is a taste of success here. It is more than any one player. It's a change in the atmosphere of the franchise, and Monta/Beans and company are ready to carry the torch.

* This is now the coach's team. Last year, even with Nellie, a hall-of-famer and one of the greatest coaches of all time, this was still Baron's team. The proof? He could jack up 5 ill-advised threes in a row and still be left on the court. For all the great games Baron had under Nellie, I still believe Nelson never had full command over the team. He knew it was a dangerous fine-line with Baron and he played it masterfully. But it was always still a bit on edge. Baron had the green light to call his own number any time, no matter the circumstances. -- Don't forget, Nellie is a genius. He's probably more to credit for the Warriors' turnaround than any combination of players. I know he doesn't like to rebuild -- but you watch -- he's going to find some gems in this roster and he's going to design some nasty plays for them.

* Jackson will be perfect for this situation. I think Jackson will be better off without Baron. Why? I don't think he'll put up career numbers like he did last year. I mean he'll be better off for this team. Because he won't have the temptation to fall into street ball like he did with Baron. When Jackson wants to be, he can be a defensive stopper and a genius when passing the ball. He can be the ideal teammate. And he loved to roll with Baron. However, he also got lulled into laziness with Baron, too. Jacking ill-advised threes, reaching instead of moving his feet and otherwise setting a bad example for the young players. Now? I think Jackson will embrace being the only real veteran leader left on the team. As great as their friendship was, he will no longer have to "compete" with Baron's ego in the subtle ways he nonetheless had to do last year. He will be the unquestioned sheriff of the team, even though he won't be the most important. A perfect "big brother" for the younger players, because in basketball the best leaders are the ones who play defense and pass well (see: SJAX).

* Anthony Randolph is the BEST potential player on this roster. For all the hype surrounding the JRich trade for Brandon Wright last year, are people not seeing how the fact that Randolph slipped to GS is not SO MUCH more exciting? It's funny to read writers like Tim Kawakami say how Wright and Randolph are nearly identical because they are both tall, skinny left handers. How sad. These two players couldn't be more different, given their similarities.
    Totally different games: Wright is an actual big man -- a PF or C type interior player. Skinny, yes, but a face-up player who gets his goodies on alley-oops, put packs and loose boards. Randolph is SO different in his game. He can handle like nobody's business for his size. He can take defenders off the dribble, cross over and hit a pull-up jumper. He looks like a guard doing it (if you didn't see him play at LSU, or haven't seen video, you should stop what you're doing and find him on you tube right now). Wright has good solid big man potential. Randolph has SUPERSTAR potential. He is an athletic FREAK. Despite being skinny, his body is already NBA ready given they type of game he plays. He can come in and play SF on opening day. He has the potential to be a Tayshaun Prince/KG/Bosh type player with some nasty handles. He can already rebound the ball and take it the length of the court as well as most SFs in the game. He has as much star-potential as anyone in that draft, and probably the most, IMO. He's only 19, still growing, and as a freshman he dominated the SEC with his acrobatic spider-like game. Plus, he's got an attitude, something Brandon Wright has not shown.

* Brandon Wright is also awesome. For all I just wrote about Randolph, Wright is finally going to have a full season to showcase his game. Even from the first time he hit the court, he looked like he was ready to be in the NBA. Many big men look shaky of uncertain, but from the get-go Wright just looked like he was in the moment, just playing basketball and not even thinking about it. That is pretty awesome for a kid his age, and he showed some marked improvement, too, in his offensive game over the course of the year.

* Cap Space -- Mullin has done such a masterful job at cleaning this organization up after his blunders with Dunleavy, Foyle, Fisher and Murphy. He has totally learned from his mistakes, it appears, and he is really playing his cards close to the vest and securing a nice position from which to maneuver. I;m sure many GMs are jealous of the situation Mullin has created for us here in GS. We are *SET* -- A ton of young talent, no albatross contracts, an exciting buzz in the NBA community, a few young emerging potential stars, plenty of cap space, and the best fans in the NBA.

It's an exciting time to be a GS fan.</div>

I have a pretty short retort to this one... Look around the west, look at Portland, Seattle, the Clipps now, and the the traditional playoff squads. This team will be a worse version of the team the Kings put out there last year. Everyone needs to get off the Brandon Wright bandwagon. It's backup QB syndrome. This team is going to be turnover prone, and lacking leadership. Hopefully Mullin can add a true leader to the squad, because I don't even see it as an entertaining team. It'll be a whole lot of trapping Ellis, and turnovers.

3. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwan1031 @ Jul 2 2008, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Man... Things went horribly wrong in just one day. We thought we desperately need a back up PG to relieve Davis' minutes. Now, we need PGs period, and PGs are being signed very quickly. At this rate, we may have to bring Hudson back for starting duty... Will we find Avery Johnson like 94? I guess only the time will tell. Another frustrating thing is that Davis really didn't sign with Clippers for unbelievable amount of money. 13 mils / 5 years aren't unreasonable amount of $ for Davis type of player, and we should have paid that much without a hesitation. Either we really lowballed Davis or once Davis realized that he can't get a close to max contract, he just decided to get a 'paycut' by going to LA.

Anyway...

First thing is first, we gotta find a starting and also a back up PGs. Arenas seems like a pipe dream, and I really don't want him for 20 mils per year. Also the way FA markets are going, I doubt we will get any proven PG either. Since, we have over 10 mils caproom, I guess we can get a decent PG via trading market or get a young/unproven PG, who is looking for an opportunity. So... Is Livingston healthy enough to play? Can we get any of 3 pgs from Memphis? Does Mullin still have Higgin's phone number for Felton? Will Philly trade Miller for basically nothing, so that they will gain extra caproom? J. Williams, Francis, or even Marbury? Although we haver over 10 mils caproom, I doubt we will replace Davis with half a good PG.

There are so many concerns, and one wrong move may sink the team for a while. Hope Mullin will navigate this situation well...</div>

The news kept getting worse because Earl Watson broke his thumb, but its not like we had a chance at landing him anyway. The other thought I had with Arenas is if Gil really wanted to come back to the Warriors, then Monta was going to become trade bait. We would have Gil at point and then Jax, Azu, and Belinelli at SG. Monta would be a valuable trading chip.

I also like the idea that was discussed about bringing MP back. Not just as a SG, but at multiple positions because that's where Nellie will play him and we know he will play him.

I also like getting Andre Iguodala to pair with Monta, but I'm not sure how we get him either without Baron as trade bait?

Yeah, I don't think Monta wants to play PG. How about sign and trade him to Philly for Andre Miller and a #1 pick?

4. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Trading Monta for the sake of landing a true PG? No thanks. Teams can survive without a great PG...look at Boston and the Lakers.

I'd like the Warriors to take their chances on Monta. I don't to lose him like we did with Gilbert.

5. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

Well both those teams have decent playmakers behind their non-great pgs. Pierce and Kobe both handle the ball a fair amount and are the playmakers for stretches.

6. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Monta is the one true legitimate candidate the Ws have to be a superstar. You do not let him go now.

Brandon Wright is a stud and will be. He's only played one year. Barkley did not become a superstar his first year; nor did Malone or Buck Williams. Give him time.

Look at the Trailblazers, with the exception of Brandon Roy, those other guys were young and green their first couple of years, they are now just starting to blossom, Aldridge, Outlaw, etc. Let's give the Ws youngsters a chance too.

7. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kensaku @ Jul 2 2008, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Trading Monta for the sake of landing a true PG? No thanks. Teams can survive without a great PG...look at Boston and the Lakers.

I'd like the Warriors to take their chances on Monta. I don't to lose him like we did with Gilbert.</div>

I'm just tossing it out there because Monta is our next most valuable trade piece. At least, Mullin has said he'd go max for him so we won't lose him like we did Gil. What Mullin has to do is be able to lure a big name free agent to pair with Monta at PG. It would be better if he's a young stud like Iggy or Josh Smith. I rather have seen that than the desperate attempts at getting Gil or Elton Brand.

8. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jason voorhees @ Jul 2 2008, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I also like the idea that was discussed about bringing MP back. Not just as a SG, but at multiple positions because that's where Nellie will play him and we know he will play him.

I also like getting Andre Iguodala to pair with Monta, but I'm not sure how we get him either without Baron as trade bait?

Yeah, I don't think Monta wants to play PG. How about sign and trade him to Philly for Andre Miller and a #1 pick?</div>
    I don't want Pietrus back at all. No reason to give him minutes when we could be developing the younger guys who actually have a future. As for Iguodala, I think the only realistic chance at getting him is to wait for the 76ers to sign Josh Smith. Atlanta claims they'll match any offer for him but with that ownership group and Horford and Marvin Williams waiting in the wings I really doubt they match a max contract. The 76ers have 11 million in cap room, if they land Smith I'd try to offer Iggy a contract at about 12-13 mils/year that's frontloaded so it will be harder for the 76ers to take on this year. Chances that we land a big name RFA are still slim though.

Putting on the GM hat here for a second. My first order of business would be to get rid of Al Harrington. Reports indicate that he didn't want to be here before, he certainly doesn't want to be here now. I don't want him here taking minutes from my young guys anyway so I'd shop him all over to see what we could get back in the way of servicable players or assets. I doubt he would net very much though. Secondly, I'd put the feelers out there for cheap young talent that we can steal away from their original teams. Speculation is that Houston can't offer Carl Landry very much, I'd also look at guys like Childress, Ryan Gomes, JR Smith (I know he seems like a headcase but dude was lighting it up down the stretch last season), Ronny Turiaf, Dorrell Wright. Chances are their teams will match any half decent offers but you never really know how these teams will respond when their players actually sign an offer sheet.

As for the PG situation. I don't see any long term possibilities in free agency. Theres some potential trade options in Raymond Felton or Kyle Lowry but what could we give to get them (we only have 6 players under contract)? I'd probably sign a stop-gap veteran for the 08-09 season then draft a guard to put next to Monta for the future in the draft (next years draft is loaded with Derozan, Rubio, Jennings, Evans, Harden, etc.). Stop-gap type PGs would be Anthony Johnson, Carlos Arroyo, maybe Tinsley if hes bought out. Guys who can start if Monta shows inability to run the PG or can come off the bench and do the basics as a PG but also bring some veteran savvy. I don't have a ton of confidence in Watson but hes young so maybe he'll be improved, also like someone mentioned before Jamont Gordon, Mike Green (who I love), and Jamar Butler are still out there and could be worth a summer league/training camp invite. Anthony Johnson may not be the sexy pick but IMO thats the type of guy I'd be looking for unless we do land an Iguodala or some other big name free agent this offseason.

Re-sign Monta, Andris, and Kelenna. Obviously Monta and Andris are starters. I'd probably try to start Monta at PG and just let him go through the growing pains there, Azu probably would be my starting SG, Jack at SF, Al/Wright at PF, and Andris at C with Beli as 6th man, stop-gap vet PG gets some run when Monta is resting or slides to the two, Hendrix is probably in the mix and on a rebuilding team I wouldn't rule Randolph out from getting a little bit of run. I'd also make a play for Shaun Livingston on a one year contract. I was never a big fan of his even before the surgeries but I think if he gets back to playing shape hes good for 4-5 apg and at 6'7 hes a good fit next to Monta to run the show for 10-20 minutes a game. Its a small risk for a rebuilding team to take on him and he could turn out to be a servicable player.

Again, its not the flashy off-season that we may want but theres just not that much potential out there to turn the team around that quickly. We're going to need a season of suckage to see where Monta stands as a PG, see what we have in Wright, Beli, Hendrix when they get big minutes, get Randolph a year closer to contributing, and ideally land a top 8 pick in the draft to try and get another potential star here. If we still have cap room after signing Monta/Andris we can try to trade for a star at the all-star break or sign one next offseason.

9. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jul 2 2008, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Again, its not the flashy off-season that we may want but theres just not that much potential out there to turn the team around that quickly. We're going to need a season of suckage to see where Monta stands as a PG, see what we have in Wright, Beli, Hendrix when they get big minutes, get Randolph a year closer to contributing, and ideally land a top 8 pick in the draft to try and get another potential star here. If we still have cap room after signing Monta/Andris we can try to trade for a star at the all-star break or sign one next offseason.</div>

Dude, I agree with you. I think signing Azu is much more important than signing Pietrus. Azu and Bellinelli will share minutes at SG when Monta plays PG. If Nellie is willing to play the youngsters like he said he would, getting rid of Al Harrington is key because we now have a log jam at the PF position. If we did happen to land Elton Brand, I could see that as a problem for BWright's development. At the same time, Elton Brand: proven and effective. Despite his injury last year, he's a safer yet more expensive bet than hoping BWright will be a stud.

I see Randolph as more of a 3 than a 4 and it would make more sense for him to backup SJax.

10. Zhone

In most cases, even good rookies don't develop into solid rotation players (unless they're top lottery picks) until their 3rd-4th season. It takes some longer to learn, and generally the "take longer" guys are big men. Obviously you see steady growth, or well, hope to see it. Andris didn't really get into rotation until his 3rd season, even when we only had Foyle and Murphy taking up big man minutes during his sophomore season.

11. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zhone @ Jul 2 2008, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>In most cases, even good rookies don't develop into solid rotation players (unless they're top lottery picks) until their 3rd-4th season. It takes some longer to learn, and generally the "take longer" guys are big men. Obviously you see steady growth, or well, hope to see it. Andris didn't really get into rotation until his 3rd season, even when we only had Foyle and Murphy taking up big man minutes during his sophomore season.</div>

Yeah because Mike Montgomery was really dumb about not playing Biedrins more.

12. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CohanHater @ Jul 2 2008, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I have a pretty short retort to this one... Look around the west, look at Portland, Seattle, the Clipps now, and the the traditional playoff squads. This team will be a worse version of the team the Kings put out there last year. Everyone needs to get off the Brandon Wright bandwagon. It's backup QB syndrome. This team is going to be turnover prone, and lacking leadership. Hopefully Mullin can add a true leader to the squad, because I don't even see it as an entertaining team. It'll be a whole lot of trapping Ellis, and turnovers.</div>

Yeah, maybe I'm crazy. I just don't see the situation as being so grim as it seems many others do here.

Am I missing something? This team was a 48-win team last year. If we look at the role players in Barnes, Pietrus, Azibuike, Croshere, and POB as easily re-signable or replaceable, then really the team has only lost one true player in Baron.

I know Baron's a great player, but a large part of those 48 wins last year were Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins, Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, and Don Nelson. That squad is still here (at least for now, in Harrington's case).

I don't see Ellis and Biedrins as being young projects who are now suddenly "in over their head" without Baron. I think they're ready to be relied on as a focus of the game plan, and always have been. I think they have learned how to win in the clutch. Both Ellis and Biedrins were crucial in gutting out several close victories last year.

I'm not saying this current roster, as it stands, is ready to make the playoffs. Obviously, they need to make improvements, but they are in a great position to do so.

It may not even be this season, unless they can make a big trade or FA signing. But what's so great is that, as it stands, the young players will finally get a chance to sink or swim. And to me, when I look at this roster, that's what it needs. There's too much potential talent not to try to bring it along full steam.

I think, this year, without Baron controlling the ball for 90% of the game, some of these young players (Bellinelli, Monta, Biedrins, Wright, Rrandolph, Hendrix, Kosta Perovic, CJ Watson) will have to step up and demand the ball. I'm not saying all of them will be good NBA players, but we need to find out.

And we just got a 1-year head-start on the process. I think that's a blessing, because this same situation would've cropped up next year anyway.

I agree with RunBJM that we should try to move Harrington for a serviceable player. Hopefully we could get a starting PG to run Nellie's offense, because that is the one position we aren't trying to develop right now (assuming Monta is a SG).

Can anyone help me with the following potential targets for a good PG? Which ones are realistically attainable, and which ones might be a good fit? I was hoping we could make a play for Calderon but it looks like he's back with Toronto. I also like Heinrich, if that's possible.

Calderon
    Felton
    Shaun Livingston
    Ben Gordon
    Andre Miller
    Earl Watson
    Kirk Heinrich
    Steve Blake
    Brevin Knight
    Kyle Lowry
    Ramon Sessions
    Mo Williams
    Sebastian Telfair
    Randy Foye
    Mike Conley
    Chris Duhon

13. Clif25

I think Baron made Jackson and Harrington better players. I think he helped Biedrins to a degree as well. He also makes Ellis better since Baron attracts more of the opposing team's attention. Losing Baron will not be easy to get over. However I do not want to see the Warriors spend this cap space on old has beens or mediocre players (in the tier of say a Danny Fortson or to a degree Jamison if it is massive amounts of money).

As far as the PGs that you, AlleyOop, posted. I like Kirk as well. I also like Felton and perhaps Mo Williams; each if it's for the right price. Felton is a fast paced player so I think he'd fit in well with the likes of Monta Ellis, Brandan Wright, and Andris Biedrins, and maybe Al Harrington (I've seen him as kind of agile and fast paced type of player). I do not know how attainable these PGs are though.

14. Zhone

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlleyOop @ Jul 2 2008, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><strike>Calderon</strike> - resigned with Toronto
    Felton - the MJ Bobcats are all over the place
    Shaun Livingston - not sure on his status
    Ben Gordon - only if we offer a max MLE
    Andre Miller - expiring contract, probably very difficult to get now. Matches with Harrington's salary wise, but unlikely
    <strike>Earl Watson</strike> - injured for 3-4 months.
    Kirk Hinrich - would probably take Harrington + more to pry him away, has a horrible contract
    <strike>Steve Blake</strike> - he's either the starter or primary backup still on that team, and we don't really have much to offer Portland
    Brevin Knight - veteran's still with the Clippers
    Kyle Lowry - possible, but not sure what we can offer in a trade for him straight up
    Ramon Sessions - unlikely, depends on how the Bucks feel about Mo, but his hype is still too high and thus probably untouchable
    Mo Williams - see above? rumored to have been available for a mid-high draft pick, too bad our TE expired
    Sebastian Telfair - restricted FA, but likely available for over $3 million
    <strike>Randy Foye</strike> - would be highly doubtful, Wolves have a ton of investment in him
    Mike Conley - similarly unlikely, Lowry or Crittenton are possible though
    Chris Duhon - possible, depends on how strong the Knicks offer is, rumors of 3-4 million starting</div>

15. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Thanks Zhone. Yeah, it is too bad the TE expired. I thought for sure Mullin would utilize it, but I also applaud him for not just doing something for the sake of it. There really must not have been anything that truly worked great with the TE. Now, if Baron had told Mully he would opt out before the draft, then it would have been much different.

When you say that, with Felton, the Bobcats are all over the place -- do you mean that any deal is possible with them? Because getting Felton would be awesome, IMO.

16. Zhone

Well, it's possible, but it also means I really don't have a clue what their "plan" is because MJ hasn't shown me any signs that he has one. The Bobcats considered trading alot of their players (with Richardson considered the untouchable), and trading Harrington purely based on having a 2 year contract with decent return in the meantime is possible if they want to go with a 2010 plan, which is considered the big year for FA by some.

17. Zhone

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kensaku @ Jul 1 2008, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chutney @ Jul 1 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>How does losing Baron affect some of the older members of this team (Nellie, SJax, etc.)? It looks like its officially a rebuilding period for this team and you never know how veterans will react to that.</div>

I think everyone is bummed Baron won't be here, but it also gives 40+ minutes allocable to other players. So yeah, it's a big challenge for the young guys and veterans alike, but one they should embrace. They're competitors so I don't think they're going to lose hope...they'll just have to step up their game. I expect a big year from Captain Jack.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing Arenas back on the team (unlikely). It locks in the PG position long-term, which is always comforting. Arenas is only 26 so he's still got a lot of room to improve. It would be pretty exciting.
    </div>

This article says that Harrington isn't happy, which is no surprise. I don't think anyone minds Harrington leaving anyway if we get something decent in return. You know it's bad when I wish that Harrington played more like Uncle Cliffy when he was on the Warriors.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Harrington to Ask for a Trade?

The news that Baron Davis is leaving town has hit several of his teammates hard. In particular Al Harrington believes Davis' departure will destroy the Warriors. He's even hinting that he may ask for a trade if he doesn't like what he hears from GM Chris Mullin when they meet in the next few days.

The key here may be Brand. If the Warriors can lure him away from the Clippers it would be a huge step towards showing Harrington and others that the team is not about to enter a rebuilding phase. If the Warriors allow that perception to slip out things could start to fall apart quickly, as they have a number of free agents who would be more inclined to listen to offers from contenders than sit around and wait for a youth movement centered around Brandan Wright to come to fruition.</div>

18. optedoutof17mil

optedoutof17mil New Member

When we say Verbal Agreement its not totally official right? Can there still be a slight chance that Mully throws something his ways maybe a 70mil/ 5 year. Which I think would be a bad idea knowing that we would never ever get close to a championship with Baron as our main guy.

19. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (optedoutof17mil @ Jul 3 2008, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>When we say Verbal Agreement its not totally official right? Can there still be a slight chance that Mully throws something his ways maybe a 70mil/ 5 year. Which I think would be a bad idea knowing that we would never ever get close to a championship with Baron as our main guy.</div>

They say Verbal Agreement because nothing official can be announced until July 9th when the moratorium ends.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Free agents and teams were allowed to reach verbal agreements on new contracts as of 12:01 a.m. Tuesday morning, but no signings or trades can be finalized before July 9. That's when the NBA will lift its annual moratorium on roster moves which is needed to compute the salary cap for the following season.</div>

SOURCE

But yeah, that would be stupid if the Warriors offer anything to Baron at this point.

20. Clif25

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zhone @ Jul 3 2008, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This article says that Harrington isn't happy, which is no surprise. I don't think anyone minds Harrington leaving anyway if we get something decent in return. You know it's bad when I wish that Harrington played more like Uncle Cliffy when he was on the Warriors.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Harrington to Ask for a Trade?

The news that Baron Davis is leaving town has hit several of his teammates hard. In particular Al Harrington believes Davis' departure will destroy the Warriors. He's even hinting that he may ask for a trade if he doesn't like what he hears from GM Chris Mullin when they meet in the next few days.

The key here may be Brand. If the Warriors can lure him away from the Clippers it would be a huge step towards showing Harrington and others that the team is not about to enter a rebuilding phase. If the Warriors allow that perception to slip out things could start to fall apart quickly, as they have a number of free agents who would be more inclined to listen to offers from contenders than sit around and wait for a youth movement centered around Brandan Wright to come to fruition.</div>
    </div>

This pretty much solidifies to me how much of a loser Al Harrington is. I don't want this type of a player on this team.

With the direction the team is headed toward, especially if they don't get Elton Brand, I guess it wouldn't be so bad to try to get something good for Harrington and even Jackson.