Baron Davis Opts Out, Signs with Clippers

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Uncle Cliffy was so underrated. I'm surprised the Rasheed Wallace lovers didn't like him more.

I'm not sure what to think of Harrington. He's been a good sport this whole way and I don't know how accurate the article is. My biggest problem with him has been hands, basketball IQ, all-around defense, and ability to compete physically. His motor has been pretty good, except his motor usually turns on when he's around the ball rather than off it.

Brand replacing Harrington would be a dream come true because this team needs a real prototypical big man. We don't need a Nowitzki, we don't need a Lamar Odom, we need a physical post player who can play D, score inside, get fouled, and has some ability to run in transition. Halfcourt problem solved and no more gimmicks like washed up Chris Webber.

2. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

3. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

I think the Magic offered 10 mill over 3 years.

While the Knicks gave 12 mill over 2 years.

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zhone @ Jul 4 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>One less option available to us: Duhon to Knicks for about 3 years, $10 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3473845</div>

Interesting that GS didn't even stir the pot on this. They could have given that deal to Duhon without altering any of their other offseason plans. What does Mully plan to do at PG? I hope something because Monta is a Ben Gordon type player -- an under-sized scoring machine who needs to switch up on defensive assignments. Gordon had Heinrich in that regard -- he'd play SG on offense and then guard the PG on defense. That's what Baron allowed Monta to do.

Hopefully Mully arranges for this. Hopefully Heinrich, but Duhon would've been interesting too because of the low cost.

5. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlleyOop @ Jul 4 2008, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zhone @ Jul 4 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>One less option available to us: Duhon to Knicks for about 3 years, $10 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3473845</div>

Interesting that GS didn't even stir the pot on this. They could have given that deal to Duhon without altering any of their other offseason plans. What does Mully plan to do at PG? I hope something because Monta is a Ben Gordon type player -- an under-sized scoring machine who needs to switch up on defensive assignments. Gordon had Heinrich in that regard -- he'd play SG on offense and then guard the PG on defense. That's what Baron allowed Monta to do.

Hopefully Mully arranges for this. Hopefully Heinrich, but Duhon would've been interesting too because of the low cost.
    </div>

Yeah I wonder if the sudden recent departure of Baron Davis had something to do with the lack of momentum the Warriors were able to generate with getting Duhon. Because after keeping Davis, the Warriors probably thought all they would/could do for the most part was sign Andris and Monta and perhaps some other bench free agent players.

6. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
  7. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clif25 @ Jul 5 2008, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah I wonder if the sudden recent departure of Baron Davis had something to do with the lack of momentum the Warriors were able to generate with getting Duhon. Because after keeping Davis, the Warriors probably thought all they would/could do for the most part was sign Andris and Monta and perhaps some other bench free agent players.</div>

Perception is reality. Baron leaving 17+ mil on the table is a statement move. People see that and they'll wonder if coming to play for a lame duck coach that has already promised to play the young guys more is the place to move to.

As far as perception is conserned, Is Mully screwd enough to be playing the Warrior fans all along with the intent on taking a year off to make a push at next year's free agent class? The front office can say that they tried to get everyone. Imagine this, they resign Ellis and Beans and noone else then dumps everything they have at Bosh next year? Could he possibly be playing the fans that hard? He makes offers to Arenas and Brandt because if those go through, we'll take em, but he really has his eyes on the following year?

8. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The key here may be Brand. If the Warriors can lure him away from the Clippers it would be a huge step towards showing Harrington and others that the team is not about to enter a rebuilding phase.</div>
    Like Harrington would still be needed if we had Brand anyway? he's gone no matter what IMO. Brand (or Smith) + Wright at PF is perfect.

9. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CohanHater @ Jul 6 2008, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clif25 @ Jul 5 2008, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah I wonder if the sudden recent departure of Baron Davis had something to do with the lack of momentum the Warriors were able to generate with getting Duhon. Because after keeping Davis, the Warriors probably thought all they would/could do for the most part was sign Andris and Monta and perhaps some other bench free agent players.</div>

Perception is reality. Baron leaving 17+ mil on the table is a statement move. People see that and they'll wonder if coming to play for a lame duck coach that has already promised to play the young guys more is the place to move to.

As far as perception is conserned, Is Mully screwd enough to be playing the Warrior fans all along with the intent on taking a year off to make a push at next year's free agent class? The front office can say that they tried to get everyone. Imagine this, they resign Ellis and Beans and noone else then dumps everything they have at Bosh next year? Could he possibly be playing the fans that hard? He makes offers to Arenas and Brandt because if those go through, we'll take em, but he really has his eyes on the following year?
    </div>

I am not sure what Mullin is thinking. But I imagine it is probably something like: We have our young core (Monta, Biedrins, Wright, Marco, rookies?) and we have cap space, we just experienced a major blow with Baron leaving, there are some star players available as free agents and we have cap space, so let's try to get one or two. But let's not blow this cap space on mediocre players who are just going to fill up the cap space and sit on the bench, when we could have used that cap space to sign stars to fill around our young core. So I think Mullin is only going to be looking at players who he knows will be stars/starters on a legit playoff/title contending team. This thinking could lead to, let's keep our cap space for next offseason and if Bosh is a free agent, then maybe they go all out for him at that time.