Baseball-Hall of Fame second baseman Joe Morgan dies at 77

Discussion in 'National League Central' started by truebluefan, Oct 12, 2020.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Hall of Famer and twice World Series champion Joe Morgan, considered one of baseball’s greatest second basemen, died on Sunday at the age of 77 after battling a nerve condition, his former team, the Cincinnati Reds, announced on Monday.

Morgan played for five different Major League teams and won the World Series with the Reds in 1975 and 1976. He also won the National League Most Valuable Player award with the team known as the “Big Red Machine” in both those seasons.

After a 22-year career, in which he hit 268 home runs, recorded 1,133 runs batted in and stole 689 bases, Morgan embarked on a career in broadcasting.

read more https://www.reuters.com/article/bas...d-baseman-joe-morgan-dies-at-77-idUKL4N2H336C

2. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Joe was small in stature, but could hit homers with the best of them. A hell of player day in and day out!

I was born and raised a Cardinals fan. Dad and me could pick up the Cardinal station on AM at night games, however, where we lived one would think we would have been Reds fans! I did listen to Reds games on the nights the Cardinals were off or when either the Reds or Cardinals were on a west trip, I would listen to either teams earlier that evening.

I loved the Reds team back then. They were managed by Sparky Anderson, who I really loved as a manager. But their starting roster was very very good!

They had Johnny Bench as a catcher. Tony Perez at 1B, Joe Morgan 2b, Dave Concepcion at ss. Denis Menke at 3b, Pete Rose LF Bobby Tolan cf Cesar Geronimo Rf.

Bench led the team in homers with 40. Morgan had 16 in 1972. Morgan led the team with 58 steals! Joe was also walked more than any other player with 115 walks.