Batum blog March 2

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by number 10, Mar 2, 2009.

1. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    Nicolas Batum: "I was almost traded to Charlotte!"

[​IMG]

I experienced All-Star Game weekend on site in Phoenix. I was expecting something big, but there, it was huge! I was followed all weekend by the people at Canal +. Friday, I went to see Boris Diaw, who still has his house in Phoenix. That night, I commented on the rookie game, it was a funny experience.

Saturday, with my sponsor, I did a clinic for kids at the Jam Session. The Jam Session is some sort of big, 5 acre theme park. I came across George Muresan there, the giant who developed at Pau [French basketball club] before playing in the NBA. We talked about Pro A [French basketball league]! He told me: “oh la la! Pau are bad. But Le Mans aren’t doing too bad. » He was there for his son. I don’t know how old he was but he was already really big.

Next, that afternoon, I went back to Boris’ house. He organized a poker game for a charity. Some of his friends and some rich people played. In any case, he had two nice cars parked in front of his house… The evening continued until there was an auction. Tony Parker, in particular, gave a pair of signed shoes. Then we went to see the different events. The three point contest, the point guard contest, where Tony choked a bit… And finally, the dunk contest.

I was in the front row to see that. I participated in it in my own way because I was the one who, with Travis Outlaw, gave Rudy Fernandez the idea for the behind-the-back pass. In the history of the dunk contest, the image that I remember is Michael Jordan’s dunk from the free throw line. I was able to do it. I remember, it was last year with Le Mans, in Malaga.

Sunday I slept in. I only watched the All-Star game with one eye. I was at a hotel and I spent a lot of time talking. I met Scottie Pippen, Magic Johnson, Beyonce and even… John McCain! He was there, calm, no bodyguard. I told myself: “and you, you’re not scared, you should watch out!”

Tony Parker scored 39 points on us with San Antonio. A member of the Blazers’ staff told me: “You see who the best point guard in the world is.” I told him: “There’s still Chris Paul…” But the question deserves asking.

The trade deadline has passed. In Portland, pretty much every player except Oden, Roy, and Przybilla were affected. I know that San Antonio called about me. But Portland’s management immediately hung up. Concerning me, there were advanced negotiations with the Bobcats. At one point in time, I told myself that I was maybe going to leave. The deal was credible, it nearly happened. That would’ve bothered me to leave for a team that won’t play in the playoffs. With Portland, we’re still in the running. Basically, if you exclude the Lakers, who are far ahead, there are eight teams for seven places. You get the sense from the media that the pressure is rising. It’s the homestretch.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

For Wallace I assume.

Well, in a couple years we can look back and see if that was the right decision. Personally, I'm glad we kept him. I hope he fully develops the substantial tools he has.

3. SodaPopinski

SodaPopinski Tigers love pepper

I gotta believe this was the Gerald Wallace deal we all heard about.

-Pop

4. SodaPopinski

SodaPopinski Tigers love pepper

[​IMG]

-Pop

5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

How can you have "I was almost traded to Charlotte" in quotes like that when he never said that?

He told himself that maybe he was going to leave, and that the deal was credible. It almost happened according to him.

Never does he say "I was almost traded to Charlotte"

6. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    the title of the original article is
    Put it through babelfish if you don't believe me. Unless there's something left off of the interview, I have no idea why they put that there, but I'm but a humble translator, I don't decide these things.

7. Uther TheGardener

Uther TheGardener Tall Timbers

securing the future
    he had a huge dunk yesterday

8. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    I haven't seen Gerald Wallace lately but Batum is an exceptional player. I put him 3rd on the team behind B-Roy and LA.

9. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

3rd what?

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Wallace is the player we all hope Batum turns into. Please keep that in mind people.

Ya, 3rd what?

11. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

As much as I like Wallace - when he is healthy - I think that Batum is the perfect SF for this team when they are really contending. Glad he is still a Blazer.

12. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    I assume you mean this one!
    [video=youtube;p9jWYZPr_EQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9jWYZPr_EQ[/video]

13. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    3rd-best basketball player.

14. Pritchslap Madness

Pritchslap Madness Below the Rim

He is about the 5th or 6th best basketball player on the team right now. Give him a few year and he could be number 3!

15. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    You mean, a SF without the dribbling or shooting skills to play SF? I'm hoping for better. In fact, expecting it.

(Anybody ever stop to wonder why Wallace has been shopped so much if he's so damn good?)

16. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Same reason they shopped Gasol? :dunno:

17. VivaRipCity

VivaRipCity Member

BLAZER FAN/SPORTS ENTHUSIEST
    I'd say the third best player on the blazer's is Blake. He's vital to running there offense. But Batum does have alot of intangibles that don't show up on the stat sheet. I will agree with that. His defense affects the scoring of other teams. But I'd still put him 5th at best.

18. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I really enjoy Batum's blog. He gives some real insight into being an NBA player.

I'm glad he would rather stay with a playoff contending team as opposed to being traded to a non playoff team. But besides that one comment, I don't see Batum showing much attachment to the city or organization. I hope he learns to enjoy Portland, because he could be long term answer to the SF position.

19. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Impressive.

20. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Yeah. Funny thing is that more than anybody else he reminds me of Darius Miles at his peak. He just has a grace and fluidity with the ball in the open court. Opposite of Outlaw.