Bayless for Conley

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BenDavis503x, Oct 19, 2008.

1. BenDavis503x

BenDavis503x Suspended

Would you do it? Straight across. (if it worked like that)

2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Ahhh shit! Here we go!!!! The season hasn't even started yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. BenDavis503x

BenDavis503x Suspended

LoL well would you? Based on what we have seen so far this year.

4. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Bayless > Conley

5. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    No. I think Conley was overrated going into the draft, and I don't think he has a lot of upside. Bayless is pretty risk/reward, but I like his upside much more. I can envision Bayless becoming a star (even though I can also envision him becoming a stronger Damon Stoudamire); I really can't envision Conley becoming a star.

I think the team is already basically set for the guard spots, long-term, with Roy and Fernandez. If Bayless (or Rodriguez) breaks out, we have a nice problem. There's no point cutting down the upside potential, just to get a more classical point guard.

6. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

Conley is a bit better now, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bayless was just as good in his 2nd year in the league (or better which is what i think he will be). Conley hasn't impressed me really at all last season and in summer league. He wouldn't be our starting PG anyway.

So no, i probably wouldn't. But i can understand anyone that would.

7. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I don't think that I would. I like Conley and wouldn't mind acquiring him for the Blazers, but I don't see him being an immediate upgrade in the rotation, and if we're going to have a young guard waiting in the wings, I'd prefer Bayless.

Ed O.

8. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I think I'm going to have call my contractor and get his ass over here pronto, I'm going to need that padded room a lot sooner than I thought :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

9. Ed O

Yeah... hypotheticals on a basketball discussion board? BEFORE THE SEASON?

Madness. Unprecedented.

And, as clearly displayed by the thousands of posts that have been generated in discussions of hypotheticals like this, entirely without value to anyone in the history of anywhere.

Ed O.

10. timmay

timmay Member

Based on 4 preseason games with half the players missing?

How about waiting for a statically significant sample population first?

Better yet, how about giving both time to develop? This is all just guessing right now.

This is waaaaay too early for this thread.

11. THE HCP

thankyou!

12. Ed O

Half of what players? Memphis has had most of its players. Many of us look at things from both sides, rather than just from the Portland perspective.

Why don't we just wait until the season is over and then talk about what happened?

Or, better yet, we can wait until both Bayless and Conley are retired and then talk about what we SHOULD have done.

Would that get people to stop bitching about those of us who like to discuss hypotheticals?

Ed O.

13. timmay

timmay Member

Since this trade likelihood is around 0% this season (Barring some event triggering it)... that's actually a GREAT idea. Let's do that.

14. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    But "guessing" is the whole point of trading/trading for young players. If you wait for them to develop and Bayless is a bust and Conley becomes a superstar...well, then it's too late to do a deal, isn't it? You trade before the players have developed because you believe your projections for what they will become are superior to the other team's. If you think Conley will be better than Bayless in their primes, you do the deal now (assuming the deal is actually available), before it actually happens.

15. EAblazer

EAblazer Not Your Average BlazeCat

Conley is not the answer he is just another question like Bayless, We have a lot of options at point guard this will not solve it will make it worse to add another point guard and lose a point/2 guard that we do not know enough about but likely has a higher ceiling than Conley.

16. anonymous gambler

anonymous gambler Member

I think I might do this trade- They seem roughly equal and I wouldn't mind reuniting Oden with his friend.

17. THE HCP

How do you know this? You have not even seen Bayless play. And how much have you watched Conley?

18. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

If we're going to do the "trade so-and-so for a point guard" routine I'd prefer it was for an actual veteran and not a rookie for a sophomore.

19. timmay

timmay Member

All snarkiness aside, I do indeed get what you're saying (That applies to Ed and Ben as well btw). I'm apparently in snark mood today, and I really agree with HCP.

The problem is that, unless you're arguing this for fantasy league purposes, it's all irrelevant. Unless an unforeseen event happens to these teams, both players have such huge upsides that neither team would likely trade them. There's rarely a situation where two teams trade young players with large upsides for each other, unless there's clearly fit problems.

Now, if this thread was about what events might cause this trade to happen (both players unhappy with or pushed out of their roles, a major injury etc), that would be very interesting to discuss.

But really, we're all just playing a guessing game here with far too limited of information. The only thing this thread will be good for is for bumping up in two years and saying "ha ha, you thought we should have traded x for y!". It's just a circular logic thread.

Ok, snark mode back on now.

20. THE HCP

Now if Bayless goes on to play like crap the first half of the season (which I still think is to early to give up on him) then I can understand a thread like this. But let's at least see him play some real games with real players that are going to make this squad. He will have ups( at ATL 15, 7 & 7) and downs( the other 3 games). Give the guy a chance before you all start treating him like J Jack. (who I believe we will miss a little bit this year)