Bayless for Conley

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BenDavis503x, Oct 19, 2008.

1. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

computer build instructor
    Would a more natural PG be a better fit with Roy and Rudy? Maybe. Would Bayless be a better fit with Mayo? I have trouble seeing it, Bayless seems like the same type of player as Mayo.

2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

ENOUGH!!!!!!!!! Can somebody over on BBF please close this thread now!

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    You should dial 9-1-1 and have the police arrest the person holding a gun to your head and making you read and post to this thread. ;)

4. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

KP told the ABM group that he reads message boards.

I submit, we message boarders have a profound impact on NBA personnel activity.

Or not.

5. THE HCP

I heard somewhere that all those guys check out the boards. MB, Rice, Wheels....... I'd say 'Tone, but he can't read. I think our voices are being heard!

6. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    I still believe Bayless can be a good complement to Roy in the backcourt with Roy being the primary ball handler.
    Bayless is a much better shooter and defender than Conley.

So no, I wouldn't do that deal.

7. BlazerFanForLife

BlazerFanForLife Member

Conley is too short.... HAHA... I think Bayless will be a better player in the long run and a big knock on Mike has been his inability to shoot. With Rudy and Roy on this team as prime distributors at crucial points of the game I'm not sure how important a pass first PG such as Conley is for our team. Blake and Sergio will more than hold down fort till Bayless is ready. Also Bayless is great defensively which Conley isn't and defending PG's is of prime importance especially in the West with the likes of Paul, Williams, Ellis, Parker, Davis, Nash, Kidd, Farmar (most improved candidate for me)

8. BlazerFanForLife

BlazerFanForLife Member

No to Conley, we don't need a short PG who cant make 3's. Notice Bayless is the opposite of both of these and he is also a lock-down defender which is important in the West with how many premier PG's there are (Paul, Williams, Nash, Kidd, Parker), and it was rumored that he was one of the better shooter in training camp. If we really need a distributor we can always turn to Roy or even Rudy for a play, and I expect Bayless to develop nicely over the next few years. That said lets stay away from Conley and give our guys some time to develop and play together.

9. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

can i say conley wouldn't be an upgrade again? don't think i've met my quota for the week yet.

10. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I'm pumped about seeing Bayless this year. His defense and driving ability alone will be a great benefit for everyone. Now that we have some size and shooting ability in our guards, I'd hate to see us possibly take a step back and go after Conley.

11. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I'm the stupid one. If Memphis offered us that, I think I'd have a hard time saying no.

Someone please tell me why I can't use what Bayless did most of pre-season as evidence that he's not going to be anything less than our 3rd string shooting guard for the near future, but I can use his summer league stats to project unanimously that he'll be better for us than a "pure", "starting" NBA point guard who happens to have spent 6 of the last 7 years of his life getting Greg Oden the ball exactly where he wants it? Or to put it a different way, you wouldn't trade Jarrett Jack and our draft pick for Mike Conley, Jr.?

I also think that Bayless will be pretty good, and don't want to give him up just to give him up. But I doubt that his value (much like Travis's) will increase with his lack of playing time.

12. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

That's an apples to oranges comparison, Travis is a 25 year old, sixth year, veteran, while Jerryd is a 20 year old Rookie who has yet to play in a single real NBA game -- in the first case you have a player who is likely a known commodity and in the second you have a player that would normally be a college sophomore playing the toughest position to learn in basketball. Having said all of that I have no doubt that Jerryd will see the court as the season progresses; he's too gifted physically and works too hard not to get at least some looks.

13. anonymous gambler

anonymous gambler Member

I don't completely know it. But, I have seen both of them play fairly often. Bayless is a good defender and scorer, but not as good a passer as Conley. I also like Conley's demeanor better- strikes me as more of a leader. That's why I say they seem roughly equal to me.

could I be wrong? NO. lol. sure I could- but I don't see a huge difference now.

14. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I'm speaking in more of a historical sense. For years we had Stoudamire running around, getting burned on the defensive end. Then, for a year, we actually had him paired up with Nick Van Exel. It's nice to see some size at the guard position.

15. THE HCP

If I remember right, Jack only had 2 dunks the whole time he was with us.

16. JAFO

JAFO Member

No, I would not do this trade! First, I think Bayless has more talent and just needs time to emerge. And second, if Bayless doesn't work out, I know there is a Euro PG by the name of Koponen (sp) waiting to come over.

JAFO