BBB.net posters were suckered into migrating for the Mods profits

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Nate McBoneHead, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    they still get more hits than we do. Yes, they took a hit when you guys left, but it kind of seems stupid to be pulling out their #'s now, when they're still better than here.

2. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

Where is the graph of the mods profits?

3. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

i never said s2 gets more hits than they do. that was your overreaching assumption.:tsktsk:

scott baio is soooo dreamy.

4. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

[​IMG]

5. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Thanks for answering, Denny. I scribbled some thoughts.

The thing that ruins ESPN is the stupidity of the moderator company they hired about 2 years ago, when they deleted most of Gramps' game in Feb. 2008. They have a few hundred boards to watch, so to save time the human judgement has been taken out of it. They spend about 5 seconds on each ban or deletion. (They delete the whole post, not part like here. They love to delete the first post in threads, which often contain the link that the whole thread is about. This makes some threads impossible to follow, since they delete the first post after about 10 posts have been made talking about the now-disappeared link.). Long-time posters who have never written a cuss word on the board are deleted for unknown reasons. The mods never communicate. You never know why you were deleted or banned. You don't know whether your ban is temporary. You return a week later and sometimes the ban is off and sometimes it's permanent. No one knows whether some secret enemy is "reporting" your posts when one shows a little emotion (and selectively not reporting the antecedent post from the "reporter" which provoked it). Posts about moderators are all deleted, so you communicate fast about bans and deletions, and copy it while you see it. Long threads are decimated from deleted posts, and sometimes the whole thread goes. Often the next morning, a big long one has disappeared. The latest wrinkle is that they delete most posts with links. It seemed that the more care I took to write my post (and the longer I took to write and research it, often an hour), the more likely it was to be deleted. BBF tried to codify rules so they weren't secret, as they are on ESPN. Now people ridicule how many pages of rules BBF had, but that's better than ESPN. Rule by consistent law instead of by favorites creates paperwork..

My first ban on ESPN was with Maris watching. We were playing on the Laker board and the moderator there, Magic2000, used to threaten outsiders physically. This made me more rebellious and I told him I didn't believe he could ban me. I was gone the next morning. That board had the only nonsecret moderator, and even Magic had to ask a real moderator to get bans. By a couple of years later, even the Laker board had secret moderator who don't communicate, like all the other boards.

Anyway, BBF was far better than ESPN. But Sports2 is even more liberal about allowing cuss words, rebelliousness against the board and its moderators, etc., as this thread exemplifies (ESPN would have deleted it very early). To both companies, the Blazer board is a big fish in a small pond, so we are taken care of. On ESPN, the Blazer board, although one of the most active, is a small fish in a big pond of hundreds of boards. And ESPN itself is much bigger than its money losing boards, so why not kick around the people with thousands of posts who have spent a thousand hours writing stuff.

6. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

barfo

7. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    That's what would happen on ESPN! Except that the whole post would disappear, not just some text within it. So no one would know it was ever there, unless you carefully keep track of post numbers, which I learned to do. Also, the whole thread would be long gone by now anyway.

Being a long post I spent a lot of time writing, this would have a higher probablility of being deleted. They prefer stupid posts that say, "Yay team" to analysis.

8. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    (On ESPN, you can tell when a post is deleted because there's a missing post number. Here, when a post is deleted, the succeeding post takes the deleted post's post number, so you can't tell.)

9. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

weren't the mods added when the blazer board moved here all mods at bbf as well? seems like an odd complaint to have.

10. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Sort of. I was a mod at BBF, resigned, and in short order became a mod here. Minstrel and Ed O. were mods at BBF at various times prior to the move but (I think) not mods at the time of the move.

In any case I believe PapaG was talking about non-blazer board mods.

barfo

11. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Our philosophy is a web 2.0 thing called "radical trust." We place radical trust in the user; the site is about the user. You can see it in things like free custom avatars and the allowing cuss words and the resistance to banning people. Our mods are instructed that they're here to help people, and they're not here to be heavy handed about enforcing rules that may not fit everyone fairly. These are principles on which S2 was founded.

"Trouble" posters at other places are deemed not worth the time to deal with. It's easier to just ban the guy (or gal) than to spend some moderator's time finding a reasoned resolution that makes everyone happy.

We're pragmatic about things, or at least we try to be. If we banned cuss words, we'd be spending our time maintaining the profanity filter built into this software at some cost of helping you all get the most out of what the software can do. So we'd put "shit" in the filter and it'd come out **** in posts and posters would post "sh1t" instead. Then we'd have to have a rule about masked cursing and it'd be only an adversarial relationship between us and some poster with 20,000 posts who did it a few times. It simply doesn't make sense to ban a guy with 20,000 posts who posts "sh1t" in a moment of anger at a coach's decision during a game thread. I don't ever want to see us go that route.

With the lax rules on profanity, it's downright amazing that I don't see much cussing on the site. It's occasional, but not prevalent. This proves that radical trust works. To top it off, we have far fewer "trouble" posters for it.

For the longest time, we had no site rules at all. Radical trust means that together we all forge a set of rules by our actions and activities. We do have rules but only because we had a few trouble posters who demanded to know the limits of what they could push before they could be banned. Ideally, we'd still have no rules other than "be good to the other posters, no hate speech, and be here with good intent."

I would like to think we're not particularly catering to the Blazers forum any differently than we would any other forum. We have a lot of forums with far less activity, so electing mods isn't an option - we have to find people willing to watch over those forums. If and when we have another forum as big as this, they'll be electing their mods and making OT posts about LeBron and all that. Radical trust.

12. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

we are all slaves to denny

13. DennisRodman

DennisRodman Suspended

Right now it is, but actually the forum was busier before the Blazer forum arrived.

[​IMG]

A lot of old members felt the Blazer forum weren't really part of the forum as they never chatted in the Off-topic, politics, NBA general, etc forums, and then the Blazers fans wanted to maintain segregation by having their own Blazer off-topic subforum.

Some members left, and pretty much the entire Net forum, which had a lot of quality members who also were very in the off-topic, general chats, and even other forum mingling, left.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  14. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

if i remember most of them got banned for different reasons?

15. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

So individuals left because our forum, which was practically non-existent prior to this migration, didn't partake in discussion in other forums?

16. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

haha i know right? how dare we!

17. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

This never made sense to me. Why would some members leave because the Blazers fans don't want to post on the rest of the forum? It's not like we were trolling their forums and causing problems. Whether we are here or not should not have affected them.

18. DennisRodman

DennisRodman Suspended

Meh just read this post, what Ghoti says makes a lot of sense. A quality poster, It's also too bad he is gone.

Basically a lot of members felt for the entire community if segregation is greatly endorsed, it removes the element of community. There already was an OT forum, which was quite active before the exodus, now all that remains is the "Blazers OT" subforum.

This thread touches on some of it, after it had happened, but a large portion of the posters are already gone by this point and started their own forum.
    http://sportstwo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131733

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  19. gatorpops

gatorpops Allen Crabb hits winning shot on Nov24 vs Blazers

Honey-Do's
    I often eat there. Not bad for the price.:devilwink:

20. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

Even if the OP is slightly right and some of the owners of S2 or their friends had alterior motives to bring us here I dont give a rats ass. Its less restrictive here, thats all i care about

+$0.00000001 to Denny bank account

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.