Because we need a thread with Pau Gasol's name in the title

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Denny Crane, Jul 10, 2014.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

He will find minutes for Mirotic. Our front court will be dominate. We have 4 good big men. Can play a number of combinations. Rest Gasol and Noah both for the playoffs.

2. truebluefan

3. truebluefan

4. TomBoerwinkle#1

TomBoerwinkle#1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jinkies! Are you telling me Hollinger's rating metric is flawed (at best) in evaluating a player's value on the floor? I mean the 2 players have similar rank right?

5. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    If you can go to the Hall of Fame with a below-average (15.0) rating, I'd say that rating is pretty uhhhh..... not good.

6. truebluefan

Pau Gasol picked Bulls based on ‘instinct’

Recent free agent Pau Gasol says signing for the Bulls over NBA champion San Antonio or Oklahoma City came down to a gut decision.

Gasol says on Tuesday that after speaking with Bulls players Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah, “instinct told me to pick Chicago.”

The 7-foot (2.13-meter) Spanish forward says Chicago was a logical choice since “without doubt it is one of the championship favorites in the East alongside Cleveland.”

The 34-year-old Gasol, who departs the Los Angeles Lakers after five-plus seasons, says while the Spurs and Thunder were options “nothing is guaranteed wherever you sign. I’m happy with my choice.”

See more at http://www.suntimes.com/sports/bask...ked-bulls-based-on-instinct.html#.U8XfwPldWSo

7. truebluefan

"Of course I can win the title in Chicago"

Q. Do you think there can be a champion?
    R. Of course I can be a champion in Chicago. If not, I would not have decided on this team. For the quality of the players in the game, level coach, the structure they have, I think we can get to offer a great level. As I come to join and contribute to grow the Bulls. For me it is definitely the favorite in the East, along with Cleveland after the arrival of LeBron, although the favoritism on paper means nothing. You have to prove it.

Q. Is not depend greatly on the state of Rose?
    R. Rose is well recovered. You can play the World Cup. He is a top player. He was MVP of the league and with that being said it all. I'm not worried about it.

Read more http://www.marca.com/2014/07/16/bal...tml?cid=SMBOSO34503&s_kw=Twitter&t=1405576829

8. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

You can play the World Cup?

No buddy, YOU can play the World Cup. I'm not sure about this Spaniard.

9. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    Gasol also singled out managing partner Jerry Reinsdorf for several contacts. Representatives with Gasol said another key factor for Gasol was the Bulls owner reaching out, which was something that didn’t occur with some of the other teams. Gasol gestured a thanks to Reinsdorf during his comments to reporters in the United Center.

http://blogs.bulls.com/2014/07/bulls-land-a-big-summer-punch-with-pau/

It's a good thing our owner does things to recruit players that other owner's apparently can't be bothered with.

10. truebluefan

If Love goes to Bulls, what's Gasol's role?

When former Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni decided to use Gasol in a reserve role at times during the 2012-13 season, the former All-Star expressed his displeasure.

"I'm not excited about it," Gasol told reporters after a loss to the Bulls in January of 2013. "It's not something that I've ever [done], coming off the bench. But right now I'm more worried about us as a team and us struggling, so it would be selfish of me talking about how I feel of something in particular."

The end of that quote may prove to be the most important for Gasol and the Bulls moving forward. He's also proven to be a team player in the past and would be best served leading the second unit in this scenario. Love is just 25 years old and is one of the best players in the game. Gasol could still be an important member of a championship-caliber team, he just wouldn't hear his name called at the beginning of games.

After losing out on Carmelo Anthony in free agency, the Bulls made the right move to go after Gasol as a contingency plan. Now that Love remains stuck in limbo in Minnesota, the Bulls are making the right play by continuing to go after him. If the Timberwolves accepted a deal for Love of Taj Gibson, Doug McDermott and Nikola Mirotic, as Sheridanhoops.com reported earlier this week, Gasol would fortify a group off the bench that would still be strong. Gasol, Tony Snell or Mike Dunleavy, Kirk Hinrich and Aaron Brooks would be at Thibodeau's disposal in what would remain a deep roster.

Gasol surely wouldn't be happy coming off the bench, but if Love were to come to Chicago then Gasol should take solace in the fact he would be on a better team than even he could have imagined when he signed his Bulls contract last week.

Read more http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/19940/if-love-goes-to-bulls-whats-gasols-role

11. truebluefan

Sun-Times Basketball @suntimes_hoops

.... There have been NO guarantees made to Pau Gasol that he will start.

12. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    It doesn't really make sense to start Gasol, he should be getting most of his minutes backing up Noah at center.

Noah should be starting at center with either Mirotic or Gibson at PF. Personally I think Mirotic should start, so if he struggles you can go to Taj earlier, and if he's playing well you leave him out there a few minutes longer.

Though I can certainly see closing with a Noah/Gasol combo over the last 4-6 minutes, depending on game situations and matchups.

13. truebluefan

Gasol will get his minutes, that is for sure, and yes, I hope to God Noah's minutes are cut to save him for the playoffs. Gasol will play some at pf.

14. Bullsville

Sportswriter
    Hopefully we'll see something like:

Noah 30 min
    Taj 24 min
    Pau 24 min
    Mirotic 18 min

In a perfect world, Gasol will get 20 games off and Noah and Taj 10 games each so they are well rested for the playoffs, because that way in 1/2 our games those guys are getting 28-32 minutes each. And Bairstow can play 50 games at 10 minutes each or so.

Same thing with the backcourt, hopefully Rose only has to play 70 games, Hinrich and Dunleavy 60 so Brooks, McDermott, and Snell all can get 20+ minutes most nights. Butler will still have to play 75 games and 32 minutes each night as our #1 wing defender.

I used to be the president of the "MJ and Pip played 38 minutes a night for 82 games, why can't these guys" club. But the Spurs have changed my mind, if you have a deep team there is no reason not to let everyone be well-rested for the post-season.

15. truebluefan

Nate Jones ‏@JonesOnTheNBA

Bulls fans: I’ve also watched Pau Gasol closely the last two years. I think y’all are putting way too much stock in that pick up.

That may be true, however, his length, and defending the rim, will help us a lot. His offense should be similar to Boozer, and effort should be more as well.