Belinelli traded

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by HiRez, Jul 29, 2009.

1. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Really??? Anyone want to trace Clif's IP address back to the GSW PR department??

2. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah that's how to treat your No. 1 picks, just give them away 3 years later after they've developed and show that they can make the commitment to perimeter defense and will pass the ball while also having an NBA shooting touch. Nah, we'd rather have a guy who loves to score 50 but will not pass the ball nor even try at defense (Crawford) or someone who was undrafted and can shoot but also is awful at defense (Morrow). Yep that's a great organization.

Here we are, in one of the most beautiful places in the world, and the Warriors are getting outclassed by Oklahoma City, Toronto (great city), Cleveland (!!), Orlando, San Antonio,.....that's pathetic.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Well if what DK said is right, Toronto already gave us most of the money for George's contract so it doesn't really matter. It would still be on the cap but its paid for, I'm sure we could work a buyout with the money and get it off the official payroll.

And as for Cohan/Nellie's involvement, I'm not really infuriated about Beli being shipped off. It was a crappy trade but look at the financial state of the league right now. The league dropped salary cap by about a million this season and warned that they could drop it another 4-7 million next season. We dumped Craw and Beli for expirings and got some breathing room away from the lux tax but we could be right back against it next season even if we add no big contracts. And if we are planning on adding a high salary player this offseason, whether it be Boozer, an MLE player, or someone else making a substantial amount, that cap room was fairly necessary to acquire. Don't forget we need to re-sign Morrow after next off-season too and it could cost us several mil/year. If we do make a move to get a vet with a big contract (I'm still hoping for Josh Howard) then I will be fine with this trade. If it ends up being a pure salary dump with zero on the court benefits then I'll be disappointed even though I understand it from a business perspective.

Yeah, we're making shitty money saving moves but its also in the best interest of the team to have the foresight not to get into lux tax hell. Keep in mind this was a 29 win team last season, how many 29 win teams are willing to pay luxury tax for such a crappy product? I hate this move as a fan but I think the business side of this move was justifiable considering the horrid financial circumstances of the NBA right now. And as I try to positively justify it to the fan side of myself I also recognize that we're not losing much production as we still have Curry/Monta/Morrow/Azu. We're not exactly taking a hit in on-court production by trading Beli for nothing.

4. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Well said Run. I'm going to miss Marco a lot. He did a lot of things on the court that was aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps I got caught up in the flash, but he still showed me he could play and do other things. I'm glad he's going to be able to play now with his Italian buddy.

We shouldn't really judge the organization on this one move yet as it could be part of a bigger move(s). Like Run said, it could be to clear some space to get that player who can actually help us. I admit, Marco probably had a crappy chance of getting consistent minutes...perhaps zero chance. And that's why he was traded.

So, hopefully this move will turn out to be part of a bigger move. We'll see.

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Yeah it probably should have been more obvious that he was a goner when considering a) Morrow proved to be a stud at the end of the season and b) we drafted a similar player to Beli in Curry. Beli and Curry provide a lot of the same functions on the team- shooting, passing, keeping the ball moving, pick and roll play, running the break, etc. Beli gives us help as a true 1 where we really need it though, Beli was kind of a transplant/band-aid that we used to facilitate the offense because we had no real PG.

And my brain tells me its not a part of a bigger move but my heart wants to believe that something else is coming. I doubt we make any more big moves.

6. Doctor Kajita

Finance
  7. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

You guys are truly the faithful because this is not part of a bigger plan. It was a money dump period. There is no bigger deal out there. The Warriors showed what they were all about when they let the trade exception expire ($9.9M!!). Cohan is trying to get out and he's dumping $$$ plain and simple. Jeez, if they can dump Crawford, there's got to be a sucker out there for Maggette right? Maggette and Wright for a Raef LaFrentz contract. You watch, its coming.

8. Legacy

Legacy Beast

He was just the veteran Rowell wanted to add. wtf.

9. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    I agree. But, I always like to leave things open-ended until we have the whole picture. It's the off-season. Not even the pre-season.

10. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I didn't know moderators could be trolls?

11. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Sounded like a joke.

12. AlleyOop

I thought the same thing, Shape, but then I had to ask: what team would rather have George as part of a package deal over Belly? That doesn't make sense. So then I thought, well, if Toronto pays part of his salary, and give $$, then they get a bit more cap space, but that would only help sign a FA, right? So either way, I'm having a hard time seeing how this move could help a potential trade scenario...

:lol: I wouldn't put it past Rowell & Cohan, though...

[​IMG]

meanwhile, we have Larry Riley acting like a doosh in his interview:

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/warriors_acquire_devean_george.html

Oh yeah. Larry, you gotta love that veteran experience, when all the other players can watch Devean George walk into practice stoned as hell, and laugh at him as he gets all backboard on his jumpers and dribbles the ball of his knee like the class clown. That's a great influence on this young roster, Larry. :dunno:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  13. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Duckman/Megatron has always been the exception.

Any taunting from a Toronto fan has to be taken ironically. You guys made the playoffs once in the last 14 years and it matched our franchise's greatest accomplishment (getting past the 1st round).

14. Lost One

Lost One ...

Did they do the press conference yet?

15. CohanHater

Enterprise Architect
    It not only was a money dump, but it was a money dump using a tradeable peice. That's the upsetting part. I hate George, but I hated Fish and put up with him too. Our front office just gave away a solid player for cash.

16. AlleyOop

he he, ah, okay, well my statement was meant a bit light-hearted, too, but with all the people dropping in to rub it in, it just made me wonder a bit :cheers:

17. CohanHater

Enterprise Architect
    Looks like a case of Battered Person Syndrome

"A theory of multiple victimization, BWS used the "cycle of violence" and learned helplessness to explain the development of a psychological problem in women who are repeatedly abused by their husbands."

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  18. AlleyOop

There's a team option for Bellinelli next year, so GS could have just declined it, meaning Geroge / Bellinelli come off the books at the same time.

Well, as far as I can tell, it does nothing to clear cap space, we could have just declined Belly's option next year if needed, and I think we have a good enough relationship with this franchise to judge this move by itself and say, unless it allows something great to happen (which I don't see how that's possible), this move is total ass.

That's a very good point. I mean, at least George can play a bigger position (gawd, listen to me)... :sigh: And I like your optimism DK that something bigger will come of it...

This sounds more like it. :ghoti:

19. CohanHater

Enterprise Architect
    The only thing I can see as far as a bigger move, would be to have 1 less guy on the roster. And that doesn't make sense. Especially when you have guys like CJ still not signed.

20. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I figured it out. Devean George will be Don Nelson's star witness in his feud with Mark Cuban.

Here's how it possibly went down...

George: "Nellie you have to get me out of Toronto mang."

Nellie: "Chris Bosh?"

George: "No it's me Devean George"

Nellie: "What's wrong with Toronto?"

George: "It's cold here mang. And I can't understand Canadian"

Nellie: "It gets cold in the Bay Area too you know. I'd like to help you, but I don't see you fitting in with our team."

George: "Ok here's what I can do for you mang." "You hate Cuban right?, Well I got something to help you with that."

Nellie: "You have my attention go on."

George: "I got a video mang."

Nellie: "A video of what?"

George: "Sex tape baby."

Nellie: "A sex tape of Mark Cuban?"

George: "Man see I knew you were smart, that's exactly what I got."

Nellie: "How did you get it?"

George: "Haha, well if you must know I'm starring in it with him!"

Nellie: "Wow, I'll do whatever it takes to get you and that tape here."

Legacy likes this.