Ben Roethlisberger Motorcycle Accident (Merged)

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by Jon_Vilma, Jun 12, 2006.

1. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

On a side note, he said he doesn't wear a helmet b/c the law says he doesn't have to. Do you think Pennsylvania law-makers will change that and name it the "Ben Rothelisberger law" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Doctors at Mercy Hospital say Ben?s seven hours of surgery were successful.They were able to repair a fracture to his face.He?s now in serious, but stable condition.Doctors say he has no other serious injuries that they are aware of.Doctor Daniel Pituch says Roethlisberger?s brain, spine chest and abdomen all appear to be okay.Roethlisberger wasn?t wearing a helmet when he wrecked his motorcycle this morning on Second Avenue.The Pittsburgh Police Collision Investigation Unit is still looking into the crash.So far, no charges have been filed against the driver, a 62-year-old woman who lives in Pittsburgh and Maine.</div>They just reported that from KDKA.com

3. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

Good to hear....

4. GotSkillz92

GotSkillz92 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Best of all time deez nuuuttts.

5. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

The best news is that about his spine and brain. Some people never get up from accidents the same. He is VERY fortunate considering he wasn't wearing a helmet.

6. links

links NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Thats good news. I hope he has a full/speedy recovery.

7. Kliquid

Kliquid NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (links @ Jun 13 2006, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Thats good news. I hope he has a full/speedy recovery.</div>That's great news. I really do hope he pulls through in good shape.

8. Capt. Comeback

Capt. Comeback NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrianUrlacher54 @ Jun 12 2006, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>On a side note, he said he doesn't wear a helmet b/c the law says he doesn't have to. Do you think Pennsylvania law-makers will change that and name it the "Ben Rothelisberger law" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]</div>They won't change the law because he almost got killed. A lot of people in states with no helmet laws die everyday. Don't think that a lot of people don't die a year in Florida, Pennsylvania, etc.

9. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Doctors evaluating Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger say the first 24-hours after an accident are key in determining how long the recovery process will take.Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery yesterday to repair multiple facial fractures. Afterwards, doctors called the operation a success. "All of the fractures were successfully repaired,"Dr. Daniel Pituch of Mercy Hospital told reporters.While doctors would not comment on the specifics of Roethlisberger's injuries, sources told KDKA that he suffered a broken jaw, compromised orbital bone, cuts to his head, multiple facial injuries, and sprained knees.This morning, Mercy Hospital's communications department told KDKA that his condition has not changed. He's still listed in serious, but stable condition.While doctors are keeping a close eye on him, they are encouraged by his progress. They say that although he suffered a concussion, a recent assessment suggested that his head injuries do not appear severe.After undergoing what's known as a "Glasgow Coma Scale," which is used to evaluate brain function, they say Roethlisberger scored a 13 or 14. A person with normal brain function would rate around a 15, while someone in a deep coma would score about a 3 on the scale.While they're encouraged by that, doctors are closely monitoring his condition.They say he could even get out of the hospital in several days ? and that there is a strong possibility that he'll be OK to play in the fall.No new updates are expected from doctors until later this afternoon.</div>

10. kkespn

kkespn BBW Member

hope he gets better. his injuries sound serious

11. JHair

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>They say he could even get out of the hospital in several days ? and that there is a strong possibility that he'll be OK to play in the fall.</div>I never would have expected that at all, hope it's true though.

12. chang

chang NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Ben Roethlisberger might have been riding without a license to drive a motorcycle when he was involved in an accident Monday.Pittsburgh television station KDKA reported Tuesday that police are checking whether the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback had a license. Sources told the TV station that Roethlisberger had a license to operate a car but has never had a Pennsylvania motorcycle license.Roethlisberger had a learner's permit to operate a motorcycle that expired March 29 but had never taken the written and driving tests for a motorcycle license, a source told KDKA.Pittsburgh police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin told the station that police would "have no comment on licensing issues" until after the accident investigation.Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, had surgery Monday after breaking his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash. Roethlisberger remained in serious but stable condition after seven hours of surgery, according to Dr. Daniel Pituch, chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery at Mercy Hospital."He suffered multiple facial fractures," Pituch said. "All of the fractures were successfully repaired. His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury. And there are no other confirmed injuries at this time."The doctors declined to release further information at the family's request.ESPN.com's John Clayton confirmed that Roethlisberger also suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, has lost or chipped a number of teeth and has minor injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.Roethlisberger, 24, was not wearing a helmet, police said. He has said he likes to ride without one, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.Roethlisberger has pointed out a Pennsylvania state law requiring helmets was amended in September 2003 to make helmets optional.</div>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2482306Not really sure what this means since I don't drive yet but I assume it's pretty bad.

13. JHair

He got ALL that publicity from driving his motorcycle like last year and hasn't had a motorcycle liscense ALL THIS TIME? I don't see why... he's probably going to face some charges.

14. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Johnny White Guy @ Jun 13 2006, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He got ALL that publicity from driving his motorcycle like last year and hasn't had a motorcycle liscense ALL THIS TIME? I don't see why... he's probably going to face some charges.</div>It means probably a misdemanor that since hes a celebrity will be cut down to community service and/or fine, I wouldnt exactly worry about it.

15. JHair

Yeah I know you can get away with murder in this league I just don't see how he could of been so stupid.

16. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>KDKA) PITTSBURGH Doctors at Mercy Hosptial have upgraded Ben Roethlisberger's condition from serious but stable to fair; and they say he could get out of the hospital in the next three to five days.At a news conference this afternoon, doctors said Roethlisberger was resting comfortably with his family.While he suffered a fractured upper and lower jaw, a fractured nose, as well as other facial fractures and head lacerations, docotrs say there was no evidence of major structural damage to his knees.Although he did suffer a mild concussion, his brain was functioning normally.Doctors say Roethlisberger could get out of the hospital in the next three to five days.</div>

17. PITT23

PITT23 BBW Member

Good to know things are looking better every hour.

18. Capt. Comeback

Capt. Comeback NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Johnny White Guy @ Jun 13 2006, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah I know you can get away with murder in this league I just don't see how he could of been so stupid.</div>Rae Carruth didn't get out of murder. Maybe it's because he sucked. [​IMG]

19. PITT23

PITT23 BBW Member

Its sad to say but I think the police will try their best to get him away with as little as possible. He'd already got his learners permit but it expired a few months ago. The only way you can avaoid wearing a helmet is with a full motorcycle license though so he technically broke the law.

20. PITT23

PITT23 BBW Member

Well it doesn't matter if he got a concussion because he obviously doesn't have a brain.(Wow I cant believe I just said that about a guy that could have died and just led my team to a Super Bowl)