Ben Roethlisberger Motorcycle Accident (Merged)

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by Jon_Vilma, Jun 12, 2006.

1. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ben2Ward4Six @ Jun 13 2006, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well it doesn't matter if he got a concussion because he obviously doesn't have a brain.(Wow I cant believe I just said that about a guy that could have died and just led my team to a Super Bowl)</div>To me, thats the most serious injury of the bunch. Maybe because I have had quite a few concussions and after you have your first concussion, it makes it much more likely that they will suffer from numerous other concussions, especially playing a contact sport like the NFL. They have cut career's short for players like Wayne Chrebet, Steve Young, and have plagued Eric Lindros (Hockey) for the last how many years. It is very possible that if he starts to suffer from concussions that he will end up taking years off the end of his career. [​IMG]

2. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

As long he doesn't get hit hard or something then he's safe

3. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>NFLPA counsels caution about motorcycles Click here to find out more! NFL.com wire reportsORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (June 13, 2006) -- Troy Vincent's motorcycles have spent the past few years gathering dust in his garage.Once an avid rider, the Buffalo Bills safety, president of the NFL Players Association, gave it up not because of a clause in his contract or fears that an accident would shorten his career. He did it at the request of his wife, who reminded Vincent he had a family of four to support.Vincent, speaking after Buffalo's minicamp practice, explained that his decision was a personal one. That, he said, is just like Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who made up his own mind to continue riding motorcycles despite fears raised by his team.Describing Roethlisberger's serious motorcycle accident June 12 as unfortunate, Vincent stressed there is only so much the NFLPA can and should do to limit players' freedoms."You don't want to tell a guy what he can't do and what he can do," he said. "All you can say is, 'Take advantage of this window of opportunity. Be smart.' "Roethlisberger, who quarterbacked the Steelers to a Super Bowl title in February, is recovering in a Pittsburgh hospital after breaking his jaw and suffering other injuries after being thrown from his bike after colliding with a car.The crash is expected to reopen the debate on whether NFL contracts should specifically restrict players from riding motorcycles. Last season, Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow missed the season after injuring his knee in an accident.Vincent said the union is not against teams including specific clauses barring activities such as motorcycle riding, hang-gliding or bungee jumping. But it has to be done on a contract-to-contract basis, he added.Vincent does believe Roethlisberger's crash will lead to an increase in such clauses, starting with contracts involving high-priced rookies.Vincent, 35, questioned Roethlisberger's decision to continue riding without a helmet, even though it's legal to do so in Pennsylvania. Vincent noted that he would always wear a helmet, particularly when riding in a big city like Philadelphia, where he makes his home.But the responsibility is on the individual, he said."Sometimes, we believe that that won't happen to us. I'm the same way. There are certain things that happen to other people that we just believe, 'That won't be me,' " said Vincent, a 14-year NFL veteran. "But as a player, we have to take most of the responsibility, and we have to make wise choices."AP NEWSThe Associated Press News ServiceCopyright 2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved</div>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9496082

4. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xpostxscript @ Jun 13 2006, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>As long he doesn't get hit hard or something then he's safe</div>This is the NFL, he gets hit hard on a weekly basis.

5. JHair

They wont put him on the feild unless he is good to go

6. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Johnny White Guy @ Jun 14 2006, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>They wont put him on the feild unless he is good to go</div>True, but concussions are a re-occuring injury. Once you get one your more likely to get more and more. If I was a Steelers fan id flinch anytime he takes a big hit now like I had to with Chrebet.

7. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Ben Roethlisberger's broken jaw did not have to be wired shut, a factor that could hasten his recovery from his scary motorcycle accident, and the Steelers quarterback got out of his hospital bed Wednesday to talk with teammates and family members.Roethlisberger's doctors said a second round of tests again showed no brain injuries, although he has a concussion. Initial CT scans taken shortly after Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car at a busy Pittsburgh intersection Monday morning also showed no apparent problems."The results of this second and final scan confirm our previous findings that Mr. Roethlisberger has suffered no brain injury," said Dr. Larry Jones, the chief of Mercy Hospital's trauma unit.Because Roethlisberger's multiple facial fractures, broken nose and broken upper and lower jaw are being held in place by screws and 2-inch titanium plates, he can eat soft foods -- and not be restricted to liquids -- during an estimated six to eight week recovery period."We take a titanium plate, bend it and adapt it to the contours of the facial bones and then secure it in place with screws," surgeon Daniel Pituch said. "This kind of state-of-the-art technology allowed us to successfully treat Mr. Roethlisberger's facial fractures."As a result, the 240-pound Roethlisberger probably won't lose as much weight as he would have on an all-liquid diet. The Steelers have not given a timetable for his return, but they are optimistic he will be ready for their Sept. 7 opener against Miami.One of the team's concerns was how long Roethlisberger would need to regain his weight and strength after being unable to work out for what might be an extended period.Roethlisberger got out of his bed to greet visitors, less than 48 hours after being admitted to a hospital located only a few blocks from the crash site. Based on the hospital's projection that the 24-year-old Roethlisberger could be sent home within three to five days, he could be discharged as early as Thursday.Players who visited with Roethlisberger said he is upbeat, and they are convinced he will be back quickly and with no diminished skills. Counting the playoffs, the Steelers have a 27-4 record with Roethlisberger at quarterback and have advanced to two AFC championship games and won a Super Bowl during his two seasons as a starter.But while Roethlisberger won't have to be on a soup-only diet, he missed out on a $2 million Campbell's Chunky Soup commercial that began filming Wednesday at Heinz Field with other Steelers players. Roethlisberger and his stepmother, Brenda, were to have been the stars of the commercial.The repercussions of Roethlisberger's accident already are rippling across the NFL, with players and agents predicting all teams will begin insert clauses restricting motorcycle riding and other such activities into all player contracts.Roethlisberger's 2004 contract did not contain a clause -- almost certainly because the Steelers weren't aware that he liked to ride motorcycles. The quarterback's agent, Leigh Steinberg, received a letter from the Steelers last year warning that his cycle riding could violate the universal contract clause prohibiting dangerous activities outside of football.However, it seems unlikely the team would try to enforce the contract by attempting to recover money from Roethlisberger, even if he were sidelined for a lengthy period. He is seen by the Steelers as the key to their franchise for years to come, and such an action could make it less likely Roethlisberger would re-sign with the Steelers once his contract expires after the 2009 season."Everyone, the whole league, was shocked over Roethlisberger's accident," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Wednesday. "I think we all see how that circumstance came about, how dangerous that is. ... We have a rule that players are not to ride a motorcycle during the season. But in the offseason, it is very difficult to control all those things."Giants defensive lineman Michael Strahan wondered if NFL players should wait until their careers are over before taking up activities such as motorcycle riding."Here is a guy who is just basically getting started in his career and his career has been phenomenal so far. To see something like that happen -- something that can be avoided -- it's unfortunate," Strahan said. "I think you sit and learn that you can do a lot of those things when you are done playing."AP Sports Writer Tom Canavan contributed to this report.</div>

8. JHair

Thats good news, I never thought he'd be out so fast, and its good to hear he can eat more solid foods so he won't get too light/weak. Hope the rest of his recovery goes this smoothly.

9. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

Im so happy for him, guess God really love to watch this kid play on the field, he's a strong kid, and hopefully he'll be 100 percent by the time the season rolls. That is grat, everybody need to give this young man a good ovation for overcoming this whole scary accident.

10. jeefunk

jeefunk NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I dunno about an ovation, it's fairly unintelligent to ride a motorcycle without a helmet in the first place, IMO...or even ride a motorcylce when so many millions of dollars are at stake, but those are entirely different discussions.All that being said, I'm glad it's looking better than originally thought, he's a good guy and a great football player.

11. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I flinch everytime Bulger hikes the ball. He's basically bound to like break a finger when he gets the ball, or he'll do something dumb and get injured! [​IMG]

12. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Mercy Hospital has confirmed that Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was released from the hospital just before midnight.According to the hospital, he was discharged at 11:45pm last night.In a short news release issued this morning from Mercy Hospital's communication department said simply:"Mr. Ben Roethlisberger was discharged from Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh at 11:45 p.m. on June 14, 2006. The hospital respected the wishes and privacy of Mr. Roethlisberger and his family, who asked the hospital not to confirm his discharge until now."During a news conference late yesterday afternoon, doctors said titanium plates were used to repair his jaw fractures; but they added that Roethlisberger's jaw was not wired shut.According to doctors, Roethlisberger has been able to eat soft food including pudding and yogurt.</div>Yes!!!!!!!! I knew he could do it, im so happy for God because he let him get through this and i have so much in faith in Ben to win us another Super Bowl

13. rainbeaukid2

rainbeaukid2 NFLC Banned

it seems like he has gotten pretty lucky

14. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Big Ben apologizes, pledges he'll ride wearing helmetAssociated PressPITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger apologized to the Pittsburgh Steelers, fans and his family on Thursday, hours after being released from a hospital, saying he was fortunate to be alive and pledging to wear a helmet if he ever again rides a motorcycle.Roethlisberger: I will wear helmetThe following statement was released by Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on Thursday:"In the past few days, I have gained a new perspective on life. By the grace of God, I am fortunate to be alive, surrounded by loved ones and lifted by the prayers and support of so many. I am sorry for any anxiety and concern my actions have caused others, specifically my family, the Steelers organization, my teammates and our fans.I recognize that I have a responsibility to safeguard my health in the offseason so I can continue to lead our team effectively. I never meant any harm to others nor to break any laws. I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me. If I ever ride again, it certainly will be with a helmet.My deepest appreciation goes out to the Steelers organization and my teammates for the compassion they have shown me. The physicians and support staff at Mercy Hospital were simply amazing, and I will forever be grateful for their caring treatment.I want to assure everyone I am committed to a complete and timely recovery. I look forward to being at training camp in Latrobe and to winning football games this season. ""In the past few days, I've gained a new perspective on life," the Super Bowl-winning quarterback said in a statement released by the team. "By the grace of God, I'm fortunate to be alive ... "Roethlisberger, 24, who wrecked his bike and cracked his head on a car windshield on Monday, was discharged late Wednesday night.The youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl was not wearing a helmet when he crashed into a car that was turning left in front of his motorcycle. Pennsylvania's mandatory helmet law was repealed in 2003.But Roethlisberger said in the statement that if he ever rides a motorcycle again "it certainly will be with a helmet."Doctors have said two rounds of tests showed no brain injuries, although there was a mild concussion. Doctors used small titanium plates and screws to reassemble Roethlisberger's broken jaws and repaired other broken facial bones. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others, doctors said.In the statement, Roethlisberger said that he realizes he has a responsibility to safeguard his health in the offseason so he can continue to lead the team.The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, citing confidentiality laws, has refused to confirm media reports that Roethlisberger does not have a valid Pennsylvania motorcycle license.Roethlisberger appeared to address those reports in his statement."I never meant any harm to others nor to break any laws," Roethlisberger said. "I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me."Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said those criticizing Roethlisberger for not wearing a helmet should back off."He went through seven hours of surgery and the last thing he needs right now is guys banging on him for not wearing a helmet," Palmer said at Bengals' minicamp in Cincinnati. "People are knocking him for not wearing a helmet and all of that, but the guy is hurting,"Police were still investigating and will not release their findings until their accident reconstruction is complete, spokeswoman Tammy Ewin said. Police have finished inspecting Roethlisberger's Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle and the car, but Ewin would not elaborate on that part of the investigation.A secretary for District Justice Oscar Petite Jr., who has jurisdiction where the crash occurred, said no citations or other charges have been filed.The car's driver, a 62-year-old woman, did not immediately return a telephone message Thursday.The Steelers have not given a timetable for Roethlisberger's return, but hope he will be ready for their Sept. 7 opener against Miami. Players who visited Roethlisberger in the hospital believe he will return to action soon, with no ill effects."I look forward to being at training camp in Latrobe and winning football games this season," Roethlisberger said in the statement.The Steelers are 27-4 with Roethlisberger at quarterback and have played in two AFC championship games and won a Super Bowl during his two seasons as a starter.Bengals receiver Chad Johnson hopes the accident does not cause teams to impose more contractual limits on dangerous activities by players."They took away the [touchdown] celebrations. Now we can't enjoy ourselves outside of the facility? That's not fair," Johnson said."If you're going to do it, do it very cautiously. If you're going to ride a bike, ride it the right way. Don't speed. Do it for enjoyment. If you're going to bungee jump, have two cords in case one snaps. I don't ride anything. I just talk trash. That's it."Although Roethlisberger was able to sneak out of the hospital Wednesday night, Mercy Hospital officials did not confirm his release until Thursday morning at the request of his family.It was unclear where Roethlisberger went when he left the hospital. A bodyguard outside Roethlisberger's home did not say if the player was inside, but several vehicles were parked in the driveway and on the street nearby.</div>http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2484472

15. The Marine

The Marine BBW Member

I already posted this [​IMG]

16. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brooksie5 @ Jun 14 2006, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I flinch everytime Bulger hikes the ball. He's basically bound to like break a finger when he gets the ball, or he'll do something dumb and get injured! [​IMG]</div>Same with Rex Grossman. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. jeefunk

jeefunk NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Same with Billy Volek.