Notice Ben Simmons blasts 'messed up' NCAA: 'The players get nothing'

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by truebluefan, Nov 2, 2016.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

For the new crop of one-and-done talents in college basketball, academics are "pointless," according to Philadelphia 76ers rookie star Ben Simmons.

In his new documentary, the former LSU star blames the organization for "wasting" his lone year of college by asking him to attend class.

"The NCAA is really f---ed up," Simmons said on "One and Done," a film that will air on Showtime on Friday night. "Everybody's making money except the players. We're the ones waking up early as hell to be the best teams and do everything they want us to do and then the players get nothing. They say education, but if I'm there for a year, I can't get much education."

The documentary follows Simmons from his time as a prodigy in Australia to his high school career at Montverde Academy near Orlando, Florida, his one year at LSU and his journey to the NBA draft, where he was selected first overall by the Sixers.

Throughout the film, Simmons wrestles with the trappings of his newfound fame. With agents and shoe companies hovering in Baton Rouge, Simmons said he had to avoid "temptations."

At LSU, he said he was offered a "Bentley, a Wraith Rolls-Royce, watches, jewelry, a house ... anything. It literally is anything. People coming at you, offering you things."

Simmons didn't say who offered him those gifts, which would have made him ineligible to compete in college. On a trip to a shoe store, he quips that a salesman would "let me take whatever" if he asked.

His mother, Julie Simmons, claims she feared the NCAA would eventually "unravel" her son's stint at LSU. But his sister, Emily Bush, says she has receipts for every item Simmons purchased while he attended the school. But that doesn't mean the family approves of the regulations.

- See more at: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...sts-messed-ncaa-film-says-players-get-nothing