Trade Ben Simmons poll

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jun 21, 2021.

?

What's the most you would give up for Ben Simmons?

1. CJ + RoCo for Simmons and scrubs

9.7%
  2. CJ for Simmons

62.1%
  3. It depends on our new coach

3.4%
  4. I'm not trading for that bum!

24.8%
  1. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    CJ's on a tear and it's awesome to see. If the Blazers can be a top 10 defensive team then one can make the argument that we shouldn't move CJ for Simmons. Regardless of what CJ does, it's about what the team can do with him as the starting two guard.

We have a lot of overlap. The conversation used to be about already having Norm. But I think Simons has changed the conversation. If he can do just 70% of what CJ gives you and you're getting back a healthy (mentally and physically) Ben Simmons, then this is a no brainer. No reason to rush right now but imagine if our starting forwards were Ben Simmons and Roco or Nassir Little.

WOW.

Eastoff, Idog1976 and TBpup like this.
  2. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

pretty sure the Blazers have 6 years of established evidence of what they can be with CJ as the starting 2-guard. I guess the 7th time's the charm

Idog1976, TBpup and blazerkor like this.
  3. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    Were any of those guys dealing with Morey as GM? No. I think that is a MASSIVE part of the equation. Morey is S-Tier stubborn and that is a huge factor here. Simmons thought he could play nice and Morey would be reasonable. He was wrong. Simmons “headcase” issues are 100% related to this past summer. Having family too influential and coach ability is a reasonable concern due to past information. The headcase stuff is clearly a negotiation tactic pure and simple.

mook and TBpup like this.
  4. royo

royo Well-Known Member

Or maybe let's see what he can do under new instructions.

AmirIcon and julius like this.
  5. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Mostly agree but I think evaluating CJ under the Stotts regime is perhaps not fair.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  6. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    Why not trade for an All-NBA talent, runner-up for DPOY? The price is all that matters.

TBpup, blazerkor and AmirIcon like this.
  7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

not under a new coach. You seem to keep leaving this out.

AmirIcon likes this.
  8. wizenheimer

I really doubt any coach will give CJ more freedom that Stotts did

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Thats not the point. The point is less freedom and accountability with a new coach.

Cugel likes this.
  10. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

If the experts running the team, GM/Coaches/Dame think adding a defensive 6'10" stalwart? improves the team by trading CJ, maybe its possible. At this point I wouldn't add another player.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. royo

royo Well-Known Member

I love CJ game and I like him as a person. I would trade him, if I could, three seasons ago. Him or Dame. I'm not on the position to trade him tho:)
    As I said before, I believe, CJ's value under Billups will grow and Ben's will go down.
    With Dame being Dame, Powell makin 16 points in 12 mins it is logical to trade CJ for Ben. Not with 6 picks tho.

Idog1976 likes this.
  12. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

what a useless figure. Not sure what that guy is trying to convey here

13. wizenheimer

what does that mean?...really?

in the pre-season, in the two games CJ and Dame played, CJ played 5 fewer minutes but jacked up 5 more shots

in the 2 games of the regular season so far CJ is attempting 21.5 shots a game. That's almost 6 more than his career mark and about 3 more than his average since he became the starter. His current usage rate is 33.2% when his career mark is 26.1%; and his highest before this season is 27.5%. His current assist rate is the 2nd lowest of his career while his turnover rate is the highest since his rookie season. I don't see any restricted freedom or accountability there

He's shooting more and passing less. Yes, he's been hot as hell, but if there was actually less freedom for CJ in the new system, and more accountability, that would not matter a lot. And from the last 6 seasons, we know that as CJ inevitably cools off, his M.O. is not to shoot less

TBpup and Idog1976 like this.
  14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

it means his history is somewhat irrelevant to those of us who want to see if Billups can hold him more accountable on defense? And if so… then his last 7 seasons WAS what cj is. Under a certain style/coaching.
    And thats all.

15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Its not all about shooting. I dont think anyone minds his shooting. Its his defense that has long been the issue for many people, has it not?

Idog1976 likes this.
  16. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    Unless people think that Nassir Little will rise to a Mikail Bridges level, then I don’t see how they can think standing pat is a reasonable solution. Coaching matters but every champion with VERY few exceptions has had multiple top 10-20 players. We don't have that currently. We only have one. I know there have been anomalies, but usually those anomalies have a current or former MVP who is over 6’7”.

17. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Simmons had red flags in college. He doesn't have the determination and hustle of a superstar. He didn't have the negatives in prior NBA season as he does now, but he never had the positives attributes as young superstars had.

I was good trading CJ for Ben prior to the season. Now we've lost a critical month of integrating Ben into the team. I'd rather see how the team performs as is.

GrandpaBlaze and Buffalo Custard like this.
  18. wizenheimer

if the Pistons would have had the same mindset in February of 2004 and declined a trade for Rasheed, they wouldn't have won their 3rd championship 4 months later

TBpup, Idog1976 and blazerkor like this.
  19. wizenheimer

right, that's why nobody ever calls him MeJ

TBpup, Idog1976 and blazerkor like this.
  20. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

CJ still monopolizes the ball far more than even Dame does. It's still MeJ shit. He has been putting in the effort on D for the first time ever which is cool and hopefully shows GMs that he's capable of doing that but we need size and athleticism on this roster and a player capable of being all nba elite... CJ isn't that, Ben obviously is.

When people like @WesleyMatthews say shit like Simmons "doesn't have the determination and hustle" I wonder if they've ever watched the guy play a game. He embodies determination and hustle on the defensive end and has been relegated to being a facilitator on offense but always does so with effort and movement. I wish people weren't such captives of the moment and could be real about this.

TBpup and Idog1976 like this.