Best plan moving forward

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Wahdeezy, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Wahdeezy

Wahdeezy Member

Kanter and KJ McDaniel as they fit in perfectly and are the missing dimensions to this young rebuilding team.

In a half court set we can't expect Lillard to be Steph Curry and run the pick and roll all day with absolutely no shooters. We need a guy that can score down at the block and that's Kanter aka Bogut who's already a legit low post 16pts and 9rebs in 28 mins per game at 22 years of age! Lots of people are worried about his defense well that's what we have Ed Davis and plumlee for as they are best suited as high energy offensive rebounding type of role players.

KJ McDaniels yes everybody knows he's extremely athletic but also has above average defense on the ball and some people believe if he can continue to improve his outside shoot could be a star in this league. Yes a star, that is a 7million dollar chance I take hell Jodie Meeks got 7million. He's already the next Gerald green or who knows could be the next Jimmy butler or Wes Matthews.

Point is both guys fit in with what we're trying to built here

Blazer509 and Scalma like this.
  2. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

I fucking hate Kanter. And I don't think it'd be one of those "You hate him unless he's on your team" kind of things either.

3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yup. I'm coming around on kanter and think he'd pair well with ed davis who's strength is help defense.

Blazer509 likes this.
  4. EL PRESIDENTE

these are do nothing moves. the best plan is as follows:

Tank and get a star in the draft.

or

Keep the payroll and squad flexible so when an Allstar level player is available for trade we pounce on it.

That's it. Everything else is treading water bros.

royo, WillG, Tunchi and 1 other person like this.
  5. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

This is not the time to panic and throw a max deal at a 3rd rate player.

Gamble $5-6 Mil on McDaniel? Sure. $15 Mil for Kanter? Just say NO!.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  6. Wahdeezy

Wahdeezy Member

Don't care if you hate the guy. He brings that low post game that we're going to be badly missing. He's a guy that operates down low. Great if he gets fouled he's close to 80% FT shooter. The guy's 22 he will get better.

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

No ones gonna be dumping salary this year anymore because of the cap rising. Joe Johnson is pretty much it. I looked at every roster trying to find contracts we'd be able to take on and literally nothing grabbed my interest.

Kanter and mcdaniels aren't do nothing moves. Both are young, with upside. At worst they represent assets. We are in asset acquisition mode. They are opportunities that we must go after, and not nitpick their flaws, cuz reality is every players got em.

Blazer509 and Wahdeezy like this.
  8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

$15 million in today's market for a 23 year old center with kanters skills is hardly a gamble. Even if he sucks, some team would still trade for him guaranteed.

9. Wahdeezy

Wahdeezy Member

Rat
    Rather be Phoenix then the Sixers. Lots of young pieces competing for the 8th seed than wasting 3 years competing with the Sixers. I'd be in Sixer mode if we didn't have Dame. In Dame we trust! If Dames ok with your plan than we can trade him for 2016 and 2017 lottery picks

10. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

Listen even if you max Kanter out OKC will match ASAP it's pointless

11. oldmangrouch

You're absolutely right about every player having flaws. This is the same argument I used to have with people over Travis Outlaw. As long as he was on a team friendly deal, he was worth keeping despite his flaws. Once he started thinking in terms of a big salary bump, it was better to trade him.

It sounds like we can get McDaniels for a reasonable price. I'm good with that. Forget Kanter. Just because it is closing time, you don't have to go home with some 400lb woman with a mustache! Going one Saturday night without getting laid won't be the death of you.

Darkwebs likes this.
  12. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

With Kanters style of playing minimal defense, it has the feel of a signing that you'd come to regret - sooner rather than later; to me.
    We only just got rid of a PF (he who shall not be named) who, whilst offensively talented, hardly played defense.

I'd rather see Neil hold the capspace for flexibilty, a lopsided absorbtion trade, or next years free agency period.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  13. oldmangrouch

Really? This is a team with a notoriously cheap ownership. Having a division rival invest that much in Kanter would probably be their best case scenario. I honestly don't think they would match at $10 Mil.

Wahdeezy and Scalma like this.
  14. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Call their bluff.

Don't give them a chance to lock him up for anything less than the max.

Wahdeezy and Scalma like this.
  15. Wahdeezy

Wahdeezy Member

Exactly small market team every player has flaws we're not in position to nit pick but what would be the point of making joe Johnson/gay/ Hibbert trade. We are in rebuilt mode. We have a star PG who we just signed for the max and three lottery player in CJ vonleh Myers why not add another one in Kanter who has actually proven on the court with 16/9 50% 80%. In this day in age how many centers average that at 23 with room to grow? My reaction to that being in a small market is "I'll take that."

16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yup. We either get the player or we force okc to pay him max, which might hurt them next offseason.

17. EL PRESIDENTE

And he's an asshole that basically turned against his whole team in Utah.

18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I don't think they would match a max offer either. They say they will but I'm calling that bluff. They have Adams who they're going to have to pay soon, and ibaka who they chose over harden essentially.

Wahdeezy likes this.
  19. Blazer509

Blazer509 Well-Known Member

We should at least try to Max Kanter and sign McDaniels. It will make our team better. Kanter is a mid-range shooter and will add to our offense tremendously, he's also young. If he doesn't work we'll trade him, I'm sure there'll be teams willing to take him. I'm not completely sure the Thunder is willing to max him with their future free agents.

Wahdeezy likes this.
  20. EL PRESIDENTE

Yeah, because that's just what I said.

I'd personally rather be Philly than Phoenix right now. They have a better chance in the long run of being a contender, they have Jahilil Okafor. Who the fuck does Phoenix have? A bunch of journeyman, mediocre players, and whatevz. They are good enough not to get great lottery picks so they'll always be that fringe team that will eventually fade away.