Better Chance Against Houston Or Utah?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by SIXPAK GQ, May 3, 2007.

1. asdf

asdf JBB JustBBall Member

If the Warriors can somehow shut T-Mac down (I'm confident that after the job that they've done on a perimeter guy like Dirk, Yao won't be too big of a problem), then I'm confident that the Warriors are capable of beating the Rockets. Other than a few other role players that can score a bit here and there, they don't have any other offensive options.

Utah on the other hand has pretty good size and finesse to along with a dangerous guy that can run the offense like Deron Williams. Hopefully the Rockets won't get the boot, or else the "T-Mac curse" would prove to be true.

2. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    <div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah I agree... I thought there was a deeper meaning or a joke to his comment but... thats just wrong. I find it insulting (as I'm asian).</div>

Ugh, sorry guys. I apparently hit a nerve.

BTW, I'M ASIAN. If you guys knew me, you would understand the dry humor...it's one of those, "you had to be there" moments.

3. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    <div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I was hoping for immediate public/private explanation but I'll have to bring it under review since it violates site policy and others may be hurt by the comments.

http://www.justbball.com/forums/faq.php?fa...opriate_remarks

But, again, I really don't want to jump to conclusions over something that might be misinterpreted. So... let's wait. A long time member deserves at least that.</div>

Okay, I don't understand how my comment was racist. Maybe culturally insensitive, but NOT RACIST. My dry comment was a result of many, many wet drinks. It was not meant to put Asians in a negative light.

Regardless of me being Asian or not, I can see that anything that says ANYTHING about race, ethnicity, blah blah blah can hit a nerve.

I keep forgetting this is a basketball forum.

Again, sorry. I was drunk. Let's all meet someday and get drunk and you'll understand my madness.

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The way Golden State is playing, I don't think it matters who they face in Round 2. Neither Utah or Houston can match up with the Warriors. The Warriors team rebounding has been exceptional, and their ability to control the pace will be overwhelming for either team.

There's been some ugly offensive games in the Houston and Utah series. If either team goes cold for a 5 or 6 minute stretch against the Warriors, they'll be down by 20 points and neither have the fire power to fight back against that deficit.

Utah doesn't have the athletes to compete with the Warriors, and Houston doesn't have the depth or team speed.

Rafer Alston on Baron Davis will be a nightmare matchup for the Rockets, and their interior defense will fall apart once Baron gets into the lane. Nellie will want his wing players to go right at Yao Ming and get him out of the game with early fouls.

Utah doesn't matchup well at all with the Warriors. Right now they're getting away with AK47 on TMac, but the Warriors roster is loaded with a bunch of TMac type players.

5. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    Rafer Alston on Baron Davis will be a nightmare matchup for the Rockets, and their interior defense will fall apart once Baron gets into the lane. Nellie will want his wing players to go right at Yao Ming and get him out of the game with early fouls.

Utah doesn't matchup well at all with the Warriors. Right now they're getting away with AK47 on TMac, but the Warriors roster is loaded with a bunch of TMac type players.</div>

I disagree to some degree about the claim that Utah doesn't matchup well against the Warriors. There are definitley some matchups that Golden State should be able to take care of; but Boozer and Okur in the paint vs. the Warriors front line is one (or two) matchup(s) that scares me. Utah also has a good PG in Williams.

Second the Warriors have trouble finishing in the paint next to big shot blockers. This may give the Warriors some problems in a series against Houston and even possibly against Utah.

One big problem for the Warriors - quite possibly their biggest weakness - is rebounding, and that is not going to be easy against Utah or Houston.

Now I am not saying that the Warriors won't win. I am happy that they get to face either Houston or Utah rather than Phoenix or San Antonio in the second round. But I just see some possible matchup problems that Utah and Houston can give the Warriors that can cause some trouble for Golden State. Hopefully the Warriors can take care of business. Al Harrington is going to need to be HUGE in the second round since he could be the big mismatch vs. Houston or he will be needed to help defend Okur/Boozer vs. Utah.

Also I doubt either Houston or Utah allows as many open shots for the Warriors as Dallas allowed Golden State to shoot. I think those two teams would be much more adept at getting a hand in the shooter's face, since they are coached by Sloan and Van Gundy who are very serious about defense (not that Avery Johnson isn't, but facing Diop and Dirk on the offensive end for the Warriors = many open shots for this team and I think more than they will see in the second round).

6. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Warriors match up better with Houston because the Rockets are significantly slower and Warriors can run (if they get rebounds.)

However, I'm not scared of the Jazz because the Warriors handled them pretty well down the stretch. The key there is not letting Harpring get off (he somehow has good games, probably because Warriors let up not respecting him). Okur is not a threat down low, he's a bomber like LaFrentz now. Boozer will get some easy putbacks but the Warriors can swarm him and leave Fisher (!!!!) open all day.

7. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Warriors handled Houston in their last meeting of the season fairly easily (albeit withouth TMac). It was the only time the Warriors faced them with a healthy roster and the new faces on the team.

Warriors were killed on the rebounds 49 to 35, but still led the entire game.

The Warriors won this game with their ability to force turnovers, and transition those into easy points. They fronted Yao in the post, and the Houston guards couldn't get him the ball.

If you watch the Utah series, they are using a similar strategy against Yao. He gets swarmed on the inside when he tries to post up and they send a weakside helper to strip Yao or block his shot.

I think Houston's only counter move against the Warriors zone defense is Luther Head playing at a high level.

Utah might be able to matchup a little better, but they don't play well on the road, and they don't have the fire power to match Golden State, when the Warriors are allowed to run.

8. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

AK47 can be a game changer with his defense, and blocks that come out of nowhere. If he plays well the Jazz are hard to beat. He gives them inside presence, because Okur certainly doesn't provide any of that.

9. og15

og15 JBB *********

The Jazz in their series have made it heck for Yao. Yea, he's averaged 24.5 PPG, but he's shot 43.8% FG, and averaged 4.8 TPG. He's had 2 good shooting games out of 6 games this series, and they lost both still. Boozer has been the one mainly guarding him, and Boozers a strong guy. If GS can get someone who can make Yao work, push him around, and while not worrying too much about fouls, try and limit his trips to the line (he's going to the line 10.3 times a game vs Utah that's why he's scoring), but just punish him.

If GS can get running against Houston while making Yao work so much, he get's really tired, and when he's tired, his fadeaways from the post don't go down, he isn't getting as deep position, and if someone like Al Harrington is being guarded by him, they can take him off the dribble every time. The series against Utah hasn't been very high scoring or fast paced, and Yao has been lugging around in some of those games.

I actually don't like the matchup against Utah. They aren't as athletic etc etc, but Utah can score, their guys won't get tired running up and down if they have too, and they're a tough team. They won't be scared to beat you up, and I think nice play from Kirilenko can be a changer in the series. They averaged 101.5 during the season, and while their offense hasn't looked pretty because of Houston's slow down and grind, they can definately put points on the board. Boozer will be a very tough cover, he's no Dirk, he's not going to be shut down the same way, and he's no Yao, he isn't going to die from tiredness. Deron Williams also gives a nice matchup against Baron with another PG who can make things happen and punish you.

10. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The Jazz in their series have made it heck for Yao. Yea, he's averaged 24.5 PPG, but he's shot 43.8% FG, and averaged 4.8 TPG. He's had 2 good shooting games out of 6 games this series, and they lost both still. Boozer has been the one mainly guarding him, and Boozers a strong guy. If GS can get someone who can make Yao work, push him around, and while not worrying too much about fouls, try and limit his trips to the line (he's going to the line 10.3 times a game vs Utah that's why he's scoring), but just punish him.

If GS can get running against Houston while making Yao work so much, he get's really tired, and when he's tired, his fadeaways from the post don't go down, he isn't getting as deep position, and if someone like Al Harrington is being guarded by him, they can take him off the dribble every time. The series against Utah hasn't been very high scoring or fast paced, and Yao has been lugging around in some of those games.

I actually don't like the matchup against Utah. They aren't as athletic etc etc, but Utah can score, their guys won't get tired running up and down if they have too, and they're a tough team. They won't be scared to beat you up, and I think nice play from Kirilenko can be a changer in the series. They averaged 101.5 during the season, and while their offense hasn't looked pretty because of Houston's slow down and grind, they can definately put points on the board. Boozer will be a very tough cover, he's no Dirk, he's not going to be shut down the same way, and he's no Yao, he isn't going to die from tiredness. Deron Williams also gives a nice matchup against Baron with another PG who can make things happen and punish you.</div>

Nice assessment. I agree. Let's go Rockets! [​IMG]

11. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Kensaku Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Okay, I don't understand how my comment was racist. Maybe culturally insensitive, but NOT RACIST. My dry comment was a result of many, many wet drinks. It was not meant to put Asians in a negative light.

Regardless of me being Asian or not, I can see that anything that says ANYTHING about race, ethnicity, blah blah blah can hit a nerve.

I keep forgetting this is a basketball forum.

Again, sorry. I was drunk. Let's all meet someday and get drunk and you'll understand my madness.</div>

Ah forget about it, it's old news.

I'm not one for being oversensitive or this type of p.c. enfocer of the law, but I figured site policy has to draw the line somwhere and a few might have complained about it. So I felt like I had to do something or else I'm not doing anything here.

12. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I felt like I had to do something or else I'm not doing anything here.</div>

You're the resident pessimist/anti-jinxer. Keep up the good work. [​IMG]

13. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post"> So I felt like I had to do something or else I'm not doing anything here.</div>

The W's board pretty much polices itself luckily. I think I've "moderated" about two times in all of the time I've been a TL. Keep it up guys!

14. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

You lazy bums! [​IMG]

But this is why I love this forum as Run BJM pointed out, theres no Ron Artests here to disrupt the community. Go to other Warrior forums (I won't post links...) and it's chaos there, and the mods (if there are any) don't do anything.

15. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

I just want to see my Rockets get passed the 1st round....I'm very worried...PLEASE BRING IT TOMORROW T-MAC! You too YAO!

I would LOVE an offense vs. defense matchup in GS and Houston.

IF it did happen, I couldn't hate GS no matter what happens. They gave Dallas a worse first round exit than they gave us. 6 games and a blowout in the last game.[​IMG]GSW

What's with all the bandwagonners (not specifically on this board...Jessica Alba)? I've been a GSW fan for all of 3.14159265314159265 seconds.

EDIT: HAHA, That bandwagonner got suspended. I didn't want to say anything, but what a chump.

custodian or BJM, I KNOW you can tell who it was on this board (ip address). PM me and tell me who it was.

16. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

HOUSTON.

Run Yao off the floor, guard T-Mac by committe and let their role players step up.

Wanna know a secret?

Their roleplayers and bench suck ASS.

17. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">upsidedownside7 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Their roleplayers and bench suck ASS.</div>

Go ahead and take that attitude into the series, and then watch Shane Battier shut down your wings. [​IMG]

What McGrady is to Houston's offense, Battier is to their defense.

He's arguably the top defender in the league (an argument backed up by stats from sources like 82games.com), and is the kind of "glue" guy on offense that every title team usually has. He's not going to score 20+ points, but he'll do the little things that win games. I know it sounds trite, but he's Mr. Intangibles.

It's not a coincidence that after the Battier for Gay trade, Memphis went from a near 50-win team to the league's worst seemingly overnight. Battier is that underrated and that key to his team's success.

Even with Battier aside, I'd still want to play the Jazz if I were the Warriors. They had an amazing season on the whole, but their play down the stretch has really been lackluster and has been marred by poor coaching decisions on the part of Jerry Sloan.

18. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    It's not a coincidence that after the Battier for Gay trade, Memphis went from a near 50-win team to the league's worst seemingly overnight. Battier is that underrated and that key to his team's success.
    </div>

It's also no coincidence Pau Gasol was out injured for the majority of the season [​IMG]

19. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It's also no coincidence Pau Gasol was out injured for the majority of the season [​IMG]</div>

I don't want to get too far off topic, but actually, Gasol played 59 games, which is three more than he played in the Grizzlies' 50-win season in 2003-04. He's key to their success only in the sense that the majority of the Grizzlies' plays run through the post. When he goes down, guys like Lorenzen Wright and Hakim Warrick have done just as good of a job anchoring the team offensively. Not that Gasol isn't talented, but the accolades and statistics he puts up do have a lot to do with the coaching philosophies of the guys the Grizzlies have had at the helm in the past. Battier truly is the X-factor; trust me, you don't want to sleep on the guy.

20. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Go ahead and take that attitude into the series, and then watch Shane Battier shut down your wings. [​IMG]

What McGrady is to Houston's offense, Battier is to their defense.

He's arguably the top defender in the league (an argument backed up by stats from sources like 82games.com), and is the kind of "glue" guy on offense that every title team usually has. He's not going to score 20+ points, but he'll do the little things that win games. I know it sounds trite, but he's Mr. Intangibles.</div>

Hes a great defender but last time I checked he can only guard one guy at a time. If he guards Jackson we still have Baron, J-Rich, Monta, Barnes, Harrington on one of Houston's scrubs and we'll just go to them instead or Jackson can use his playmaking ability or unblockable jumpshot. Look at last series, how effective was Howard defensively? He didn't do much defensively outside of getting some steals, you just can't shut down guys like Jackson and J-Rich because they aren't going to force the issue like a superstar wing would, they would gladly pass the ball and find the mismatch. If you put him on Baron we'll post up Jackson or Richardson on the small guards or T-Mac, you put him on J-Rich or Jackson and Baron can destroy Alston and Head. I'm much more worried about his shooting ability than his defensive ability because we can just go to other mismatches and avoid having to attack Battier like we avoided whoever Howard was covering.

I'm much more worried about Luther Head if we play the Rockets, who always kills us from 3 pt range. Hes got the shooting skill and the type of floor game to thrive playing against us.