Politics Biden says he won't legalize marijuana because it may be a 'gateway drug'

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Nov 17, 2019.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Former Vice President Joe Biden defended his reasoning to not legalize marijuana on a federal level if elected president, saying there is not “enough evidence” as to “whether or not it is a gateway drug.”

Speaking at a town hall in Las Vegas on Saturday, the 2020 Democratic presidential candidate said whether the U.S. should legalize cannabis on a federal level is still up for debate as far as he is concerned.

“The truth of the matter is, there’s not nearly been enough evidence that has been acquired as to whether or not it is a gateway drug,” Biden said, according to Business Insider. “It’s a debate, and I want a lot more before I legalize it nationally. I want to make sure we know a lot more about the science behind it.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...ze-marijuana-because-it-may-be-a-gateway-drug

2. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Now that weed is legal, coke and heroin are what all the cool kids do now.

3. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    So this can make all of you mad at me that’ll be a fun way to end the weekend. I went to hempfest once and had a couple brownies and thats my entire experience of actually putting marijuana inside of me.

For the most part Im not really against people who want to use it, like we have so much other stuff thats legal and much worse for you, at least as far as we know right now. Tobacco, Alcohol, amongst other things... However Ive always felt like there is something totally off about my friends who use it a lot, now maybe its just in my head and some cognitive bias or something going on, Im not sure, but their life decision making processes have proven to not be very successful and it makes me eerie about its consumption, at least to the extent they take it. Its completely anecdotal and who knows maybe they’re just idiots that Ive chosen to love anyways.

I wish they would do much more studies on it, continue to do medical research on it, lose some of the stigma’s around it, Its probably not for me, I know that it does help some people.

4. SlyPokerDog

I would say tobacco and alcohol are also gateway drugs. The feds do their best to regulate and tax them. Feds need to regulate and tax pot.

5. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Probably.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  6. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I guess, I just feel like in general my stance on most things is go learn more about it. Marijuana needs more studies not by groups with an agenda to “shut it down” or “make it legal”. Unfortunately too many studies are funded by interest groups... Like I said, Im not really against it, I think Alcohol is way, way, way worse and its legal.

7. SlyPokerDog

I also think if we're going to have sin taxes that all of the should be the same.

In Oregon pot is taxed at 25%. They seem to be doing just fine.

Alcohol and tobacco should be taxes at the same rate.

8. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I basically dont do any of it so they could tax it all 1000% percent if they wanted and it wouldnt effect me at all, except maybe safer roads from all these idiots driving while impaired.

I do have a glass of wine here or there.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  9. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

I think most people, even those who are totally in support of federal legalization, completely understand that smoking weed too much is bad for you. Of course there's some dummies who deny deny deny, but they're definitely on the minority. Saying it should be legal doesn't imply that it's healthy or completely safe or anything like that.

But I am also for decriminalization/legalization of all drugs.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  10. VanillaGorilla

Biden is a dumbass stooge though

11. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

I smoked weed once, and now I live day to day in Florida making and injecting my own Krokodyl.

12. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I got in an argument once with a friend who was telling me there are zero negative effects to weed. I told him I thought he was full of crap. You can tell me you think it should be legal because of a lot of reasons that I would buy, but I wasnt being buying that one lol.

Im not really for the legalization of all drugs. Alcohol is like the 3rd (or 4th), leading cause of premature death in the country because its been made so easy to get. When I grew up in a pretty ghetto area in St. Johns and drugs were common place (like way harder stuff then weed), a lot of that stuff makes people a huge danger to themselves and others. Making Meth legal to get, is just gonna make more 21 year olds who right now would have no idea how to get it, have easier access to it. Have you ever been around people on a regular basis who are shootin up?

Also how does this all effect where you come down on guns? Or other things that are directly linked to harming others? Its one thing to harm yourself, its another when you start making the government the leading peddlers of substances that turn people into maniacs.

13. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Biden just wants to make sure you know he's old. Doesn't want Bernie to get all the grandpa-fetish votes.

barfo

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

junkie.jpg

15. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

If we could just tax coveting thy neighbor's ass at 25%, we could do away with property and income tax.

barfo

Chris Craig, SlyPokerDog and riverman like this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

wait until he takes out his dentures!

17. VanillaGorilla

Addiction to drugs is a health and societal problem, not a criminal one. I should have specified that I think the use of drugs should be legal, not necessarily the sale of them. I don't want meth sold at convenience stores or anything like that.

donkiez likes this.
  18. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I'm not mad at you it's your experience.
    I however could say the exact same things about alcohol that you brought up about your friends who do weed.
    The only difference is as a society we consider potheads more of a problem than alcoholics.

Personally the issue I have is that weed is still federally labelled as a class 1 drug.
    Which is complete bullshit.

19. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    50 years on this issue, and a quarter of all American men holding drug arrest records, is not enough learning. We need to get 100% of Americans into prison. We will learn more if we're all in prison.

20. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Well, there goes Millions of votes down the drain.