Biedrins Extension?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Hunter, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>
    <div class="bi">Information Blackout</div>
    <div>

<span style="font-style: italic">Oct 25</span> - Golden State has until next Wednesday to reach agreement on a contract extension, or else Andris Biedrins will be a restricted free agent next summer.</p>

</p>

The information blackout even extends to Biedrins himself, although that's by his choice.</p>

</p>

"It's not like it's on my mind all the time," Biedrins said. "I call my agent (Bill Duffy) once in a while, just ask him how it's going and if he's got some news, but that's about it. It's coming (up) on the deadline, and we'll see how it goes. I just don't want to put that first in my mind right now."</p>

</p>

The biggest obstacle to Biedrins' signing may be Chris Kaman. The Los Angeles Clippers center signed a five-year, $50 million extension last October, setting a benchmark for other young pivots looking to get paid. -- <font color="#000000">Contra Costa Times</font></p></div></div>

2. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

I wouldn't give him more than 6 or 7 mill a year. Kaman is much better than him.</p>

3. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

I wouldn't give him more than 6 or 7 mill a year. Kaman is much better than him.</p>

</div></p>

No way. Kaman is not much better than him at all, and Biedrins has a higher ceiling than Kaman.</p>

The Warriors will be fortunate if they can sign for 5 year $50M per. The Warriors cannot afford to let Biedrins test the market next season he's a core player for them. I think a deal structured similar to Nene or Kaman is reasonable and enough to keep Biedrins and still have some cap flexibility. The Warriors still need to extend Monta Ellis and possibly B. Diddy if he opts out.</p>

</p>

4. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Biedrins can't make shots though. Have you seen him shoot free throws? lol</p>

5. Shapecity

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

Biedrins can't make shots though. Have you seen him shoot free throws? lol</p>

</div></p>

His range has improved and he's able to take his defender off the dribble now and elevate for a dunk. Something Kaman will never be able to do. Biedrins is a terrible free throw shooter, but that's a skill anyone can develop through practice and fixing his shooting mechanics. He's a more active rebounder than Kaman, better shotblocker, and versatile enough to defend out on the perimeter.</p>

Kaman also has a severe case of ADD which has prevented him from making big strides in his development. He doesn't have the attention span to follow direction and it makes it harder to coach him.</p>

</p>

6. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

The W's don't need him for his shooting, he is a great rebounder and shotblocker. If he'll settle for 5 years at 10 mil per, Mullin should do it now.</p>

7. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

After watching Troy Murphy lose his cajones by shooting jumpers,I love the idea of Biedrins not being able to shoot. Regardless, Biedrins went 59% from the field on a bit more than 7 shots a game.</p>

8. TucsonClip

TucsonClip Thursday Night in Tucson = Upset

I dont think Kaman is worth more than him. Another thing about Biedrins is that he fits the system so well, even if he is overpaid for his talent he will produce the numbers in that system.</p>

9. Shapecity

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Air Monta)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

After watching Troy Murphy lose his cajones by shooting jumpers,I love the idea of Biedrins not being able to shoot. Regardless, Biedrins went 59% from the field on a bit more than 7 shots a game.</p>

</div></p>

LOL. Great point of view. As long as Beans can catch it, dunk it, and create a basket for himself on a few occassions he's exactly what the Warriors need. The Warriors just hired a free throw guru to help the team out so let's see what progress he can make from the stripe this season.</p>

Kaman also benefits from Elton Brand drawing all the attention in the post.</p>

</p>

10. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

I really wish that Kaman was not the standard here. But with agents and everything, that's the way these things go. I would like to see him signed for about 7-9.5 million dollars per year (if started at the lower 7 million then to have bigger increases from year to year, and then perhaps having 9.5 million with very small or without increases between years.</p>

I agree that Biedrins is at least as good as Kaman, if not better, especially better than Kaman from last season. And I agree that losing Biedrins will be devistating. I really have not considered how much other teams will be offering for Biedrins. Perhaps it will be better to get a deal done before Wednesday, even if it's $50 million for 5 years. Biedrins is so young, I'd think he should get more years, but maybe a basketball player's legs are not so stable for so many years? If Biedrins has as good of a year as I think he may, since I did draft him so high in my fantasy team [​IMG], then maybe now is the time to do the extention...</p>

11. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I think Biedrins has a lot of upside left. Biedrins, I believe, was not even yet 18 when he went into the league and played his first nba game just as he turned 18. He was the youngest player in the entire nba until the end of 2005 season and youngest player to ever play for the Warriors. That is pretty young.</p>

Plus, on his Latvian team, he is a higher option on offense than on our team and he has some good moves. We may even see a Kenyon Martin or Jermaine O'neal type breakout soon. I think he's better than Tyson Chandler and I think that's the guy who he most resembles right now in terms of the Warriors center role, but he's shown more offensive/ball handling moves if we can just get him the ball inside. I wouldn't worry about free throws because how many big men actually shoot free throws well? I'm more concerned about our guards and small forwards being able to shoot free throws. If they can't, well that is just freakin' sad. But Biedrins and Wright? As long as they possess a big man type of game, free throws aren't really as important as finishing the bucket and drawing double teams inside the painted area. Also, Biedrins passes pretty well IMO.</p>

I say pay the man!</p>

12. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Biedrins is young, very athletic, already averarging close to double double, and he just tapped his potential. Even without Kaman's deal, he would demand 10 mils per year. It's true that without Kaman's deal, we could try to lowball a bit, but even so, I don't think we will have to pay at least 9 mils per year. He will only get better, so I will gladly give him 10 mils per year...</p>

13. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

If I were his agent, I would advise him not to sign that deal.</p>

14. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, I agree with Kwan. Biedrins is definitely worth at least $9 million a year. He's a top-10 C, and with continued improvement could crack the top 5.</p>

For a salary comparison, Samuel Dalembert and Tyson Chandler are better measuring sticks, based on their upside, youth, and the similar games they posess. Dalembert ended up with a 6 year deal for $58 million, with the first year starting at 8.5 million, after averaging 8 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game in his contract year. Chandler ended up with 6 years, $64 million after producing 8 points, 10 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game. Biedrins is younger than Dalembert or Chandler when their contracts were signed and had better numbers leading up to the contract. They both had pretty bad FT percentage as well, and Chandler is still pretty much a bricklayer. So, 5 years at $50 million looks pretty reasonable in that perspective.</p>

15. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zhone)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

Yeah, I agree with Kwan. Biedrins is definitely worth at least $9 million a year. He's a top-10 C, and with continued improvement could crack the top 5.</p>

For a salary comparison, Samuel Dalembert and Tyson Chandler are better measuring sticks, based on their upside, youth, and the similar games they posess. Dalembert ended up with a 6 year deal for $58 million, with the first year starting at 8.5 million, after averaging 8 points, 7.5 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game in his contract year. Chandler ended up with 6 years, $64 million after producing 8 points, 10 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game. Biedrins is younger than Dalembert or Chandler when their contracts were signed and had better numbers leading up to the contract. They both had pretty bad FT percentage as well, and Chandler is still pretty much a bricklayer. So, 5 years at $50 million looks pretty reasonable in that perspective.</p>

</div></p>

Good points. Let's sign Biedrins now! [​IMG]</p>

</p>