Biedrins to star on Latvia squad

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Legacy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Beans is the ideal center for Baron Davis. I can't think of a better fit. Do I need to explain?

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">hipokrat_x(LV) Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Latvia won Lithuania today 84:83. AB had 7 points (2pt 3-3 and FT 1-3) and 12 rebounds. Not sure how accurate is box score, looked like he had more rebs, he definetly had few blocks, and also 5 TOs. Songaila had 23p 5rb, Sarunas had 11pt 4rb 6as, Kleiza just had 3rb. Box score http://www.basket.lv/online/5001409? highlights http://esports.risinajumi.lv/temp/Basketbo...et_04_08_07.mpg</div>

Dang that was a crazy play near the end. The Latvian team looked like they intentionally missed the free throw and then they got the offensive rebound for a kickout three pointer to win the game. Sweet. Nice job beating a team that has a few nba players on it.

3. hipokrat_x(LV)

hipokrat_x(LV) JBB JustBBall Member

4. hipokrat_x(LV)

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Dang that was a crazy play near the end. The Latvian team looked like they intentionally missed the free throw and then they got the offensive rebound for a kickout three pointer to win the game. Sweet. Nice job beating a team that has a few nba players on it.</div>

The best part is that it is the greatest rivalary game posible for us. Lithuanians like to make fun of latvian basketball, and not to take it serious, but we are closer to their level, then they would like to admit, they are still stacked with crazy talent, but we can fight them.

5. Wild Child

Wild Child JBB JustBBall Member

Thanks for the updates, hip! [​IMG]

6. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

7. Custodianrules2

Oh man, popped his jersey and everything. That was a sick putback dunk by Biedrins. That was straight up Kenyon Martin right there. Nice find AF.

8. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

oh my...

9. hipokrat_x(LV)

10. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I have seen Beans stuffed at the rim with his 2 handed dunk on numerous occassions just in this thread. Maybe he needs to bring it back behind his head when he throws it down. He needs to go up stronger and not get stuffed by weak white guys...

11. Custodianrules2

Hey Beans can be an exciting dunker when he wants to, but he's also trying to play smart and not get denied on a showboat attempt or get T-ed up for hanging on the rim. He's not Baron Davis or Jrich when it comes to power over defenders or making a last second adjustment in midair to go from dunk to layup.

One quality we think Beans lacks is definitely strength and definitely not hops or aggression. If he were to spend more hang time and get all nasty winding the ball up before throwing it down, he would be a riskier player if he couldn't muscle his way against anyone for a guaranteed successful play. A lot of times I see beans flush it quickly before defenders can move over laterally to get a hand on it. Also, I'm pretty sure he doesn't like getting fouled because he's a horrible shot. There's probably plenty of reasons why this guy doesn't do emphatic dunks. Coaches probably don't like him doing that and maybe they don't want him getting t-ed up unnecessarily. I guess if he's Latvia's star player, he does what he wants to under that coach.

BTW good win for Latvia against Russia. That was surprising. I heard Russia was supposed to be very good.

12. hipokrat_x(LV)

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">BTW good win for Latvia against Russia. That was surprising. I heard Russia was supposed to be very good.</div>

Well it was their 1st friendly game this summer, we are simply in better shape and team is starting to play well together. I just hope we can reach ( or maintain) or best shape in september. We had good wins in friendlies before last euro cup to, but we ended up loosing 3 games in a row.

And I think beans does everything pretty well, he knows when to make layup, or when to make dunk, and he does not get injured in process.

13. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

14. hipokrat_x(LV)

15. andwho

andwho JBB JustBBall Member

16. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Well, his numbers and dunks are impressive, but really...compared to the NBA he is playing children. In the NBA he is average height for his position and gifted but I wouldn't say dominating athletically. In these international games, he is an athletic freak. So it's great for highlights, but I don't really put too much stock in these games. I'm much more interested to see what he does vs. Utah on Oct. 30. That said, it should help get him in shape for the season, assuming he stays away from injuries.

17. hipokrat_x(LV)

<div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well, his numbers and dunks are impressive, but really...compared to the NBA he is playing children. In the NBA he is average height for his position and gifted but I wouldn't say dominating athletically. In these international games, he is an athletic freak. So it's great for highlights, but I don't really put too much stock in these games. I'm much more interested to see what he does vs. Utah on Oct. 30. That said, it should help get him in shape for the season, assuming he stays away from injuries.</div>

Well he did have 29 points and 11 rebs vs Okur... I'd would consider that as some kind of pre season prieview [​IMG]

18. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

<div class="quote_poster">hipokrat_x(LV) Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well he did have 29 points and 11 rebs vs Okur... I'd would consider that as some kind of pre season prieview [​IMG]</div>Yes, but I believe Okur was in early foul trouble in that game, and Biedrins did most of his scoring with Okur on the bench. Can't find the box score/recap to confirm that though...

19. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">HiRez Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well, his numbers and dunks are impressive, but really...compared to the NBA he is playing children. In the NBA he is average height for his position and gifted but I wouldn't say dominating athletically. In these international games, he is an athletic freak. So it's great for highlights, but I don't really put too much stock in these games. I'm much more interested to see what he does vs. Utah on Oct. 30. That said, it should help get him in shape for the season, assuming he stays away from injuries.</div>

Probably true but I do like that hes getting touches, developing that turnaround jumper that apparently hes made a few times now. FWIW hes also completely dominating the pretty much every game even against a lot of NBA players like Okur, Milicic, Kirilenko, Bargnani, Turkoglu, Jianlian, Kleiza, Songaila, and a ton of other guys you've probably heard of around draft time but are still in Europe (Mile Ilic, Damir Markota, Mario Kasun to name a few).

If you look here hes dominating the current tourney in points and rebounds. 21.67 ppg, bested only by Yi Jianlian who's averaging 23 ppg and ahead of familiar names such as Whang Zhizhi, Darko Milicic, Mehmet Okur, Turkoglu. Biedrins is #1 in rebounds per game with 11.67 which is pretty nuts in european games as far as I know, the next best is Jianlian with 8 rpg and Okur is third with 6.67 rpg. Darko Milicic is 5th with 5.67 rpg.

Your point still stands that the competition isn't that great compared to the NBA, but at least he is dominating like we'd expect him while guys like Okur, Kirilenko, or Milicic are playing well but still can't touch him. This is a nice opportunity for Biedrins to develop his offensive game and the european style of play isn't too different from how Nellie likes to play. Plus Biedrins can get more comfortable with being the only good frontline player on his team because he'll probably be in that situation again unless Wright really impresses right off the bat.

20. hipokrat_x(LV)

Eurobasket 07 started today, and Latvia won Croatia with 85 - 77 in 1st game. Biedrins played 35 mins scored 14 points (5/12 2pt 4/9 ft) and grabed 7 rebounds. Here is box score http://www.eurobasket2007.org/en/cid_BqypG...5170-B-2-1.html

Kasun had 18 points and 5 rebounds, but he scored some 6 points late in game, when latvia was paying all attention to 3pt line. And Biedrins was off his game most of the time, he started with nice turnaround layup against Kasun, but the got fouled hard few times, missed some shots, and did not ctach few pases, but was monster in D. Croatia did not go near the basket most of the time AB was there, and was launching 3pointers ( 8/32 ). Ab did had some nice high lights, and i hope i'll get a link to those soon. It realy looked like Ab was nervous, and he could do a way better, let's see how he will do tomorow vs Gasol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]