'Big Baby' to declare for NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by kingjamez, Mar 13, 2007.

1. kingjamez

kingjamez BBW VIP

Re: 'Big Baby' to declare for NBA

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2797194<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>LSU's Glen Davis will announce at a news conference next Wednesday that he will declare for the NBA draft, but a decision on whether he will sign with an agent and forgo his senior season is still undecided.LSU coach John Brady told ESPN.com Tuesday that he and Davis were to meet next week after he returns from recruiting to finalize Davis' plans and his academic schedule for the remaining three months of the second semester. Under the new Academic Performance Report rules, schools are imploring students who declare for the draft to finish the second semester so they leave school in good standing. If they don't, it can cost a school a scholarship in future seasons.Brady said Davis is going to meet with agents this week to see if he wants to sign with one.Davis was the SEC player of the year in 2006 and led the Tigers to the Final Four. But this season injuries limited him to 29 of the team's 32 games. He still led the Tigers in scoring with 17.7 points and 10.4 rebounds. But LSU struggled mightily in the SEC, finishing in last</div>I don't know about this.. I'd like to see him back at LSU, they have lots of talent and I think they can do alot of good things next year if they put it all together..

2. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE BBW Elite Member

I really don't see this kid doing that much in the NBA. He reminds me of Michael Sweetney with his body build and the way he cut down some weight. I dunno, I just don't see him being that good in the NBA, just my opinion.

3. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE @ Mar 13 2007, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I really don't see this kid doing that much in the NBA. He reminds me of Michael Sweetney with his body build and the way he cut down some weight. I dunno, I just don't see him being that good in the NBA, just my opinion.</div> WHAT? Come on. He can score in the paint, is strong, Michael Sweetney was mostly flab. Glen Davis is a much better prospect.

4. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>WHAT? Come on. He can score in the paint, is strong, Michael Sweetney was mostly flab. Glen Davis is a much better prospect.</div>I was talking about his SIZE bcb, remember the SIZE comparisons. It really had nothing to do with his game. But now that you mention it, I don't think you remember Sweetney BCB, he has a lot of similarities with Big Baby except for a cool nickname. He cut down his weight his junior year just like Glen Davis has. Sweetney was 9th overall in 2003 and he averaged 22.8 points a game and was a big banger down low for g-town. He also was a far better defensive player than Glen Davis is (college wise). Sweetney averaged 3.2 blocks per to Davis's 1. Sweetney wasn't just "flab".

5. Something-To-Say

Something-To-Say BBW Banned

Nah, I think he needs another year, because LSU wasn't impressive this year and most of the time, to be a high pick, your team has to do well.

6. LightsOut

LightsOut BBW Elite Member

I think Glen Davis has a chance to be pretty a damn good player. He can flat our score the ball. He reminds of Zach Randolph and little bit of Carlos Boozer. Not sure if this was the right move coming out now. I think he definitely could have improved his stock greatly for next year's draft which should be weaker than this year's, but the potential is without a doubt there.

7. BrewCityBuck

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE @ Mar 13 2007, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I was talking about his SIZE bcb, remember the SIZE comparisons. It really had nothing to do with his game. But now that you mention it, I don't think you remember Sweetney BCB, he has a lot of similarities with Big Baby except for a cool nickname. He cut down his weight his junior year just like Glen Davis has. Sweetney was 9th overall in 2003 and he averaged 22.8 points a game and was a big banger down low for g-town. He also was a far better defensive player than Glen Davis is (college wise). Sweetney averaged 3.2 blocks per to Davis's 1. Sweetney wasn't just "flab".</div> The big difference being, Mike Sweetney was not half as strong as Glen Davis is. Glen Davis carries around more weight than he should, but he's naturally strong, probably the strongest player in college and will be one of the top few in the NBA. They are both bulky but there is a huge difference with Davis.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Something-To-Say @ Mar 13 2007, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Nah, I think he needs another year, because LSU wasn't impressive this year and most of the time, to be a high pick, your team has to do well.</div> LSU went to the final four last season, he doesn't need another season.

8. grizz101

grizz101 BBW Member

good decision, another year like this with his team will almost destroy his stock

9. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The big difference being, Mike Sweetney was not half as strong as Glen Davis is. Glen Davis carries around more weight than he should, but he's naturally strong, probably the strongest player in college and will be one of the top few in the NBA. They are both bulky but there is a huge difference with Davis.</div>Eh...at the college level it's easy to say somebody is naturally strong. When Davis comes to the NBA his strength won't be nearly as dominate as it is in college. Even watching Shelden Williams tonight in the Celts game against the Hawks is a good example. I remember Shelden being an absolute bull in college, Kendrick Perkins was throwing him around like a ragdoll tonight. Davis might be stronger but they both had similar games coming out of college and both were bulky, interesting draft prospects coming into the league. These bulky 6'8'', 6'7'' prospects never do much in the NBA.

10. BrewCityBuck

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>A unique player because of his unreal body strength. Most basketball players are not built like tanks</div> - NBADraft.net I think he's a lot stronger than a lot of these chubby PF's.

11. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>NBA Comparison: Larry Bird Strengths: Uncanny basketball smarts. Plays the game with great passion. One of the best shooters in college. Has a chance to be a special player on the NBA level because of his intelligence, desire, and abilities. Was a point guard in high school before growing from a 6-5 senior to his current 6-9 height. Still has superb ball handling and passing abilities. Growing up the son of an NBA player/coach gave him not only a great understanding of the game, but prepared him for the limelight. Kind of lulls you to sleep with his nonchalant demeanor but then rips your heart out when you least expect it, as witnessed in Duke's Championship win against Arizona. Excels in big situations.</div>Mike Dunleavy Jr.'s NBADraft profile from 2002.BCB, just because it's on NBADraft.net doesn't mean all their opinions are going to effect how they play in the NBA

12. BrewCityBuck

NBADraft.net compares every white SF with good skills to Larry Bird. It's not NBADraft.net's fault that Mike Dunleavy never developed a work ethic. If they think that Glen Davis is unreal strength, I'm going to believe them, I have a LSU fan as an online friend from another forum, and he's said that Davis is that strong as well.

13. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE @ Mar 14 2007, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>These bulky 6'8'', 6'7'' prospects never do much in the NBA.</div>
    Charles Barkley, Elton Brand, Zach Randolph, Ben Wallace, Ryan Gomes, Reggie Evans, Chuck Hayes, and Kenny Thomas say "heeeey."

14. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Charles Barkley, Elton Brand, Zach Randolph, Ben Wallace, Ryan Gomes, Reggie Evans, Chuck Hayes, and Kenny Thomas say "heeeey."</div>Barkley and Elton Brand are good examples of guys that can have success. Ben Wallace is 6'9'' and JACKED. Ryan Gomes is 6'7'' and how is he bulky? He has nowhere near the body fat Davis/Sweetney have. Reggie Evans, Chuck Hayes, and Kenny Thomas are role players. Zach Randolph is a good talent but he's also 6'9'' and has been dismissed from his team before but he does have some good low post talent. Plus, All I said is they don't do much in the NBA. I never said their careers were doomed or anything like that. These type of players are usually effective as role players or guys that don't play a lot of minutes. That's merely all I was implying with that comment. I think a Mike Sweetney comparison to Glen Davis is great. And CB32, if you're going to put Chuck Hayes on that list you may as well put Mike Sweetney.

15. CelticBalla32

CelticBalla32 Basketball is back in Boston

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE @ Mar 15 2007, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Barkley and Elton Brand are good examples of guys that can have success. Ben Wallace is 6'9'' and JACKED. Ryan Gomes is 6'7'' and how is he bulky? He has nowhere near the body fat Davis/Sweetney have. Reggie Evans, Chuck Hayes, and Kenny Thomas are role players. Zach Randolph is a good talent but he's also 6'9'' and has been dismissed from his team before but he does have some good low post talent. Plus, All I said is they don't do much in the NBA. I never said their careers were doomed or anything like that. These type of players are usually effective as role players or guys that don't play a lot of minutes. That's merely all I was implying with that comment. I think a Mike Sweetney comparison to Glen Davis is great. And CB32, if you're going to put Chuck Hayes on that list you may as well put Mike Sweetney.</div>
    - Ben Wallace is jacked, I know. But he's a 6'8'' or 6'9'' center.
    - Gomes doesn't have as wide a body as some other guys, but he's still a 6'7'' banger.
    - Zach Randolph being an IDIOT and being in trouble with his team has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with any of this. He's a 20/10 type guy, and he's never been in very good shape.

If I am going to put Hayes, I should put Sweetney? Um... no. Hayes starts and Sweetney rarely plays. Is Hayes a role player that plays to bring energy and rebound? Yes, but you stated that guys like that can't make it. They can, and they do. There is nothing wrong with being a good role player, I don't think anyone here has said that they think Davis will be a star.

16. WELCOMEtotheJUNGLE

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Yes, but you stated that guys like that can't make it.</div>really?<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Plus, All I said is they don't do much in the NBA. I never said their careers were doomed or anything like that. These type of players are usually effective as role players or guys that don't play a lot of minutes.</div>But I do somewhat agree that there are some bulky forwards who never really did much, guys like Brandon Hunter, Marcus Fizer, Jahidi White, Othella Harrington, Clarenece Whatherspoon, Robert Traylor

17. ballerman2112

ballerman2112 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrewCityBuck @ Mar 14 2007, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The big difference being, Mike Sweetney was not half as strong as Glen Davis is. Glen Davis carries around more weight than he should, but he's naturally strong, probably the strongest player in college and will be one of the top few in the NBA. They are both bulky but there is a huge difference with Davis.</div>Just because he has more muscle than Sweetney doesn't mean he is that much stronger. Davis is extremley undersized considering the type of player he is, and I dont think he is going to have a very good pro career. I like the guy as a person and player, and I am hoping for him to do well, I just dont see it...He isnt tall enough.

18. BrewCityBuck

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ballerman2112 @ Mar 15 2007, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Just because he has more muscle than Sweetney doesn't mean he is that much stronger. Davis is extremley undersized considering the type of player he is, and I dont think he is going to have a very good pro career. I like the guy as a person and player, and I am hoping for him to do well, I just dont see it...He isnt tall enough.</div> Glen Davis is 6'8"ish, Zach Randolph is 6'8" 3/4, not much of a difference...you guys can make a big deal over an inch if you want to, I won't...didn't stop Elton Brand from being a good player, didn't stop a lot of other good PF's. Ugh, size is not that big of an issue considering how unbelieveably strong he is. He's a lot stronger than Michael Sweetney was. Read anything in a scouting report on Glen Davis, he's always mentioned as being unbelievably strong, he clearly was stronger than Sweetney was in college who was more baby fat than strong (even though Davis carries about 30 pounds of extra) he's still stronger.

19. ballerman2112

ballerman2112 BBW Elite Member

Big Baby doesn't have the range of all the players that you listed....That is the difference between all of them. Randolph can shoot the ball from 20 feet, Brand has a great mid range game....Big Baby plays more like a center.

20. BrewCityBuck

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ballerman2112 @ Mar 16 2007, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Big Baby doesn't have the range of all the players that you listed....That is the difference between all of them. Randolph can shoot the ball from 20 feet, Brand has a great mid range game....Big Baby plays more like a center.</div> I know, but I'm saying, being 6'8" has never stopped a player from being as good as he wants to be. Lots of players develop the jumpshot in the NBA, I remember Tony Battie for example had no jumper, then 4 years into his career it was one of his strong points.