Big news, Taft's committing draft suicide & GS already made a promise

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by upsidedownside7, May 27, 2005.

1. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

Big news, Taft's committing draft suicide & GS already made a promise

http://www.draftcity.com/dcdaily.php?p=337

According to draftcity.com Chris Taft's workouts have been terrible. This kid has the chance to go top 6 but is just breezing by workouts. What a shame. There is no way he's going high lottery now. Mullin won't pass on raw talent but he will on a bad work ethic.

nbadraft.net is reporting we made a promise to Frye. What a joke. His scouting report his completely different from what I've seen. He's not going to hold his own and dissapears during games. He doesn't have the strength to score down low. I'd be absolutely disguisted with this pick.

2. pimpdaddy33

pimpdaddy33 JBB JustBBall Member

For all I know the Lakers better not pick Taft. I would pick him with a second round pick though because just of the potential factor. But I doubt he will last that long.

3. upsidedownside7

4. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Frye is a nice guy, but he's not really the answer to any of our problems. NBA Draft seems to be just making a guess about the rumor that Frye has a top 10 guarantee. It's possible that he doesn't even have a firm guarantee or one at all, though.

It's a bit early to be making guarantees, eh? The Pre-draft camp hasn't even started. If Frye did have a guarantee, he'd start withdrawing from workouts now or soon. He can't hope for better than top 10.

*edit: Just saw the links over in the other thread, I agree with all you guys of course. [​IMG]

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Zhone:</div><div class="quote_post">Frye is a nice guy, but he's not really the answer to any of our problems. NBA Draft seems to be just making a guess about the rumor that Frye has a top 10 guarantee. It's possible that he doesn't even have a firm guarantee or one at all, though.

It's a bit early to be making guarantees, eh? The Pre-draft camp hasn't even started. If Frye did have a guarantee, he'd start withdrawing from workouts now or soon. He can't hope for better than top 10.</div>
    Great point Zhone, Frye has been working out for a lot of teams, and I just don't see the Warriors committing to anyone and limiting the many options they'll have at #9. Channing Frye had one decent year, which was last season, prior to that he was a bust for the Wildcats.

Regarding Chris Taft, he appears to be a complete waste of talent. Chris Ford wrote he was banned from anymore Chris Taft workouts and any other player Taft's agent represented after Ford wrote some true comments that Taft didn't help his stock in workouts.

6. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting upsidedownside7:</div><div class="quote_post">http://www.draftcity.com/dcdaily.php?p=337

According to draftcity.com Chris Taft's workouts have been terrible. This kid has the chance to go top 6 but is just breezing by workouts. What a shame. There is no way he's going high lottery now. Mullin won't pass on raw talent but he will on a bad work ethic.</div>
    This is terrible. I don't why he would not always give 100%. If I ever got the oppurtunity to play any sport professionally, I would try my hardest and just be so grateful I got the chance to compete with some of the worlds best athletes. When guys don't give their full effort it drives me insane because there is someone else out there who trys on every play and won't get drafted. It seems that the closer the draft gets the more negative comments I'm hearing about Taft. Hopefully this guy straightens up his act and starts to realize that he won't make it in this league unless he trys and has a positive attitude.

7. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

After all this buzz, I'm sure teams would rather avoid him if they have nothing to lose. It appears he's out just for the money or why would he tank like this? Unless he's got a guarantee from some team, why bother working out? Is working out some smokescreen to cause lotto teams not to draft him, so the team he wants to go to can pick him? It's so incredibly strange for him to do that with that much talent...

Also with Channing Frye. It has to be speculation and nothing else that we grab him at #9. At #9!!!!?? He's a solid big man, but no way he's a lotto pick. This also has to be a smoke screen of what Mully is trying to do in order to get other GM's to react to him or it's just conjecture from some stupid website who is alone in that assumption. Because if Mullin gets Frye at pick #9 it will be a repeat of Todd Fuller kind of, only on not such a poor scale. Frye can contribute, but he's not even the kind of guy that has superstar potential, otherwise he would have beat down Diogu, easily. I'd rather have Diogu at #9 at this point.

Anyway, I don't believe any of this is true regarding Frye, nor will Mullin let these rumors about Taft keep him from at least talking to him and looking at how he does.

8. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

It may just be me but I'm not really too high on Channing Frye. This draft lacks experienced big men, so he's being overrated because of his size. He has perfect size as a PF at 6'10 runs the floor very well. I think Frye would be a good fit for a team such as Phoenix that obviously loves to run the floor and need a big man so that Amare can move back to PF.

9. upsidedownside7

Conflicting reports

Chad Ford made a review of Taft's workout being so-so. He said his workout itself was just Taft shooting hookshots over a 6ft trainer and no one got a chance to see Taft's skillset. Taft's agent banned him from further workouts with any of his clients.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Hide and seek in NYC

NEW YORK ? Banned. That was the word from Chris Taft's agent, Billy Ceisler, after Insider's lukewarm blog report from Taft's workout for several NBA teams.
    I was scheduled to be back in the gym again on Wednesday to watch two of Ceisler's other clients, Antoine Wright and Charlie Villanueva, but got a call late Tuesday night from an agitated Ceisler, who said I was uninvited because of my review of Taft (see below).

There are three problems with that.

First, the review of Taft wasn't negative. He worked out in a gym by himself. Taft looked fine, but because of the structure of the workout, he wasn't able to really show off what he is capable of doing well ? dominating in the paint. No one wants to see big guys like that shoot jumpers or hook shots over a 6-foot trainer.

I said I didn't think he helped or hurt himself. I've talked to three other NBA scouts who've been in the same gym over the last three days and they've all said the same thing.

Second, I don't believe that hiding players ? or, in this case, shielding them from criticism ? really helps them in the long run.

Ceisler is just trying to do his job ? protect the interests of his clients. However, experienced agents know that limiting access only to people who will write positive reviews is a bad idea, because it diminishes the credibility of any positive reviews a player may receive.

My job is to give my readers the truth as I see it. I try to be fair. You may disagree with my opinion. But at least you know it's my opinion and not his agent's.

Also, the agent tends to look like a movie studio that refuses to screen a movie to critics. That maneuver is usually the first signal to the public that the movie has serious flaws.

Third, I'm going to find out the truth anyway. I was not in the gym the last three days to watch Wright and Villanueva work out. But I know NBA people who were.

Three of them I trust talked to me and gave me their feedback. They all said the Taft workout did nothing to change their opinion of him. One said they had him ranked as the 8th best prospect on their board. Another had him in the 20s. The third didn't divulge that info.

Wright got very positive reviews. I actually saw him for five minutes on Tuesday and was impressed with how much he's worked on his body. His jump shot also looked fantastic. The scouts all had high praise for him. They think his game is still developing, but he has a big upside. Two scouts had him in the late lottery. The last thought he might be available in the early 20s.

Villanueva played to generally positive reviews. I heard his workouts were strong on Monday and Tuesday (though less so on Wednesday). That's good news for Villanueva, considering that two years ago a poor workout in front of NBA scouts in Chicago damaged his draft stock.

The word is that he was much more impressive this week, especially from the perimeter. Scouts still have big questions about his attitude and heart, but they all seem to believe that he's one of the two or three most skilled big men in the draft. All three scouts still had Villanueva ranked in the late teens or early 20s.

Overall it sounds like Wright may have helped himself a bit in these one-on-none workouts, while Taft and Villanueva did little to move the needle. </div>

Ford says Taft didn't help or hurt himself with his workouts but draftcity is reporting his workouts have been utterly terrible. Someone is bullsh*tting.

10. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting upsidedownside7:</div><div class="quote_post">Chad Ford made a review of Taft's workout being so-so. He said his workout itself was just Taft shooting hookshots over a 6ft trainer and no one got a chance to see Taft's skillset. Taft's agent banned him from further workouts with any of his clients.

Ford says Taft didn't help or hurt himself with his workouts but draftcity is reporting his workouts have been utterly terrible. Someone is bullsh*tting.</div> Yeah, it's got to be some team leaking those reports because they want him before some lotto team grabs him. Otherwise, why else lie or make up stuff?

11. Warriors Redux

Warriors Redux JBB JustBBall Member

<font color="Navy">The quote from NBADraftnet is:</font>
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">A couple weeks back, NBADraft.net received a tip that Channing Frye had a promise in the top 10. The likely team has recently been identified as Golden State.</div> <font color="Navy">Which means they're just guessing... and history tells us that the team most likely to reach on a big is Toronto... ala Rafael Araujo. Doesn't make much sense to give a guy a promise when he hasn't even worked out for you yet.</font>

12. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriors Redux:</div><div class="quote_post"><font color="Navy">The quote from NBADraftnet is:</font>
    <font color="Navy">Which means they're just guessing... and history tells us that the team most likely to reach on a big is Toronto... ala Rafael Araujo. Doesn't make much sense to give a guy a promise when he hasn't even worked out for you yet.</font></div> Man this better not be Coach Montgomery's influence if it is true...

I'm sure it can't be true. I mean nbadraft.net has been seriously lacking in crediblity as of late and in recent years. These are the same guys that gave Mike Dunleavy Jr. Larry Bird upside. C'mon you can't compare anyone to a hall of famer unless he's a lesser hall of famer. Larry Bird was one of the greatest of all time.

13. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

Frye is not the worst option,and is the only 6-11 center type,aside from Bogut,who has a well rounded game now. Mobility is what makes Frye a lot different than Fuller. I like that Frye runs well,has good hands,can play in transition. He is a guy with no red flags,won't land in jail,won't be a slacker,will give good effort and improve each year. I'd like a bit more explosiveness,killer instinct...but if he had that he'd go a lot sooner.
    Taft has a few old school back-in post moves which he executes with less force and tactics than S May-which may be okay if he's a 7-2 shotblock terror,which he's not. He's a bit lazy as a rebounder,not a dominant defender though he holds his ground well. He shows less as a PF where lack of versitility hurts him. He may have quickness,but since it seldom gets displayed,it add to a sense he is not a full effort guy.
    In a Frye-Taft comparison,Frye has done a lot to improve,add skills,add strength. Taft was expected to be improved this year...and didn't. That is what has to concern teams looking at him.
    I still like the big-game potential of Diogu,the multi-skilled Granger,and im real curious about Andrew Bynum,but Frye could be a solid pick and a guy who in a few years has some impact.

14. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I'm fairly positive the Warriors arent the alleged team to promise Frye a pick. We haven't worked him out yet and aren't planning to as far as i know. If its true it would likely be Charlotte's second pick, Orlando, Minnesota, or NJ.

15. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

If it is true and it is a smokescreen, my guess is Toronto may want Frye at 16, and Golden State are trying to scare them into taking him seventh so Granger slips to Golden State.

Seems very strange though.

16. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I was just as confused as everyone else to see Channing Frye?s stock increase like that. From early second rounder/late first rounder to a lottery pick? The need for big men these days has been a concern, but I don?t think to the extent where Frye becomes a lottery pick. He was nowhere near dominant for Arizona, and even with the Warriors lacking size, going about it by drafting him is definitely not the answer.

Chris Taft is?Chris Taft. When he was at Pittsburgh last year, the excuses were, ?with that monster body he must?ve been bored with the NBA (although he never dominated.)? and the ?Pittsburgh is not utilizing him properly and especially that point guard.? Now there are no excuses he can make. Lazy Bones Taft has even gotten Isiah Thomas off of his bandwagon! I hope you guys don?t take Taft. With the way this team is trying to contend for the playoffs, someone like Taft one be ideal.

If Golden State really wants size, they would get Fran Vazquez. He won?t be the next big thing, but he will be a solid contributor and with Golden State pushing for the post season next year, Vazquez would be good for them.

17. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

The only reason Frye is rated so high is because of the lack of height in the draft and because of the performances he put on in the tournament.

My question is, why on earth would you give him a gurantee? It doesn't help the Warriors at all by telling him that (it's all speculation though). He's a Senior...why on earth would you give him one? It's not like he's gonna pull out of the draft if he doesn't get a lottery guarantee from a team, because he can't.

18. goldenstatefan

goldenstatefan JBB JustBBall Member

Last year there was a lot of hype about Philadelphia wanting Biedrins - trying to get a team like GS to bite - but that was clearly wrong as they drafted Igoudala. There was also a ton of talk about Utah making a promise to Monya, with the Celtics also being high on Monya....and when Utah had two chances to take him they didn't, taking another SG in Snyder. And the Celts went with Jefferson and Monya was off the board by their next pick.

No. 9 is the place you make a promise to someone like Splitter, who may drop out. You don't make a promise to a college senior.

19. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting goldenstatefan:</div><div class="quote_post">Last year there was a lot of hype about Philadelphia wanting Biedrins - trying to get a team like GS to bite - but that was clearly wrong as they drafted Igoudala. </div>
    Sixers would've drafted Biedrins if Iguodala would'nt dropped so low (Nobody predicted that the Sixers would get him)

I hope that GS drafts someone who's good and stays in Oakland.I really miss Gilbert Arenas in a Warrior jersey,he was so cool here...now he ruins everything on the Eastcoast [​IMG] (I still remember the game winner against Philly in his first season in Washington)

20. Map1986

Map1986 JBB JustBBall Member

over on realgm, on the same topic, it came up that it was the magic that "gave" the lottery promise to fry...realisticall, look for the warriors to move to the middle of the draft and snag petro unless his stock raises him to the lottery...