Big news, Taft's committing draft suicide & GS already made a promise

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by upsidedownside7, May 27, 2005.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">
    i still vigorously insist Diogu is quick enough for SF and powerful enough for PF. How can a guy be too small,too slow,not athletic AND average 23pt while getting double teamed and hacked?</div>
    Is Diogu as quick or athletic as Luol Deng or Shane Battier? If so, that might not be that bad for a small forward. If his outside J is consistent as Battier's, that would be helpful. I just don't know if Diogu is a #9 because he's been playing inside like an Elton Brand player and his shot range is a question mark. Does he take enough outside shots to prove he can be a wing?

2. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Well, I personally haven't seen Diogu play that much. But looking at stats it shows that he is a good free throw shooter, which means that he must be pretty good with the midrange shots/high post. He also has a decent three point percentage, I believe at 40%, allbeit that he didn't take a ton and that it's from the college three point line and not the NBA. But Diogu is supposed to be a pretty good shooter, I believe. I think I could have read that he has a good release with that shot as well. Very high that is hard to block, if I remember correctly.

3. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I'm still waiting for some numbers, but watching tape, I get the impression that he is at least fast as Dunleavy. Ok, maybe that's not too hard to do, but its at least some basis for comparison. I'd need to somehow get two tv's or a stopwatch or something to time a fastbreak, if you wanted a true comparison.

4. Custodianrules2

Anybody can beat Dunleavy off the dribble if they can handle the ball some. Heck I bet my grandma can take him all the way to the hole and dunk on him. With that body, Dun is a near power forward and we saw glimpses of what Dun can do at the 4 position at times offensively. He was pretty good.

I do like Ike Diogu and the fact teams have been measuring his wingspan and getting measurements anywhere from 7'3 to 7'5 (teams measure differently, but somewhere in that range according to draftcity). I'm not sure he's a #9, but if Diogu is beating 6'10 and 6'11 power forwards one-on-one regularly, maybe he can hang at PF. REREM is definitely calling the college prospects so far when it comes to his favorites Danny Granger and Ike Diogu and calling out what the consensus has on their draft boards. Granger moved up in the draft, Hodge moved up into the first round, and Taft is falling because REREM thought he didn't have enough skill or mental game to ever be a consensus #1 overall. Are these NBA college scouts crazy, then or is the media and NBA teams playing a smokescreen. What is up with anonymous people during private workouts leaking this information? They must have an agenda of some sort.

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Yeah the anonymous quotes from "scouts" about Taft are really strange. I recall some quote saying something like "hes horrible its like he doesn't get it". It just sounds like something a junior high student would say and no source is given. I still dont want to risk drafting him but it seems out of place and he may have gotten a promise from someone already.

6. Custodianrules2

Yeah, it seems really "Jayson-Blair"ish to describe such things like "Isiah was shaking his head" or looks of disgust. Sounds like too much creative journalism based on heresay and sketch sources... They were probably never there to begin with!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2"> DraftCity tried to contact Taft?s agent, Billy Ceisler, numerous times to try and attend one of these workouts ourselves, but received no response. </font></font>

http://www.draftcity.com/dcdaily.php?p=337</div> When they do these workouts, I'm assuming they bar anybody not associated with the prospects working out or the team's staff, so that excludes any members of the press. Would somebody like a sports agency leak information to purposely lower another guy's draft stock or would team personnel who witnessed the drills leak that stuff out? For what reason? For a bribe? Or has libel simply gone unchecked on the 'net where anybody can make stuff up for sports entertainment and sensationalism?

If I was New York or Toronto and my mission was semi-secrecy regarding workouts and some dumbass staff member was leaking info about the workouts prematurely to the press without authorization, I'd have him tarred and feathered... and then shot out of a cannon from halfcourt.

7. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

I once hear an interview, where one guy wrote a book about Telfare. According to him, those workouts are closely guarded (only team personnel are allowed), and he was able to attend only one workout with the promise that he will only write about the workout after the draft is done. So, it's bit strange that Draftcity can get a hold of workout news, and those 'source' can very well be made up. And, that's one of the reason why we see some surprises in draft, because while news can say one thing, staffs in teams can think another. But, for now, I will believe their words, because it seems to be true that Taft's workout has been disappointing to say the least, and Diogu is a polished offense player to begin with.

Heh, 6'8" guy with 7'3" or 7"5 wingspan? Is it even humanly possible? [​IMG] But, whether the measurement is correct or not, he seems to have long wingspan, and that's always a plus.

According to ESPN board, the discussion of swapping Dun for Wilcox and 12th pick is going on, and if that has any truth in it, I am all for it. Hope Mullin can pull that off...

8. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kwan1031:</div><div class="quote_post">I once hear an interview, where one guy wrote a book about Telfare. According to him, those workouts are closely guarded (only team personnel are allowed), and he was able to attend only one workout with the promise that he will only write about the workout after the draft is done. So, it's bit strange that Draftcity can get a hold of workout news, and those 'source' can very well be made up. And, that's one of the reason why we see some surprises in draft, because while news can say one thing, staffs in teams can think another. But, for now, I will believe their words, because it seems to be true that Taft's workout has been disappointing to say the least, and Diogu is a polished offense player to begin with.
    </div> I'm glad you brought that up because workouts should be exclusive if you're trying to keep the other team guessing and it could mean the difference between winning and losing on draft day and winning overall.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kwan1031:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Heh, 6'8" guy with 7'3" or 7"5 wingspan? Is it even humanly possible? [​IMG] But, whether the measurement is correct or not, he seems to have long wingspan, and that's always a plus.
    </div> Maybe he's got a really wide body in addition to long arms.

I mean Elton Brand has a 7'5" wingspan. That's probably where the Elton Brand comparrisons began.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketbal.../07/06/nba0712/

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kwan1031:</div><div class="quote_post">
    According to ESPN board, the discussion of swapping Dun for Wilcox and 12th pick is going on, and if that has any truth in it, I am all for it. Hope Mullin can pull that off...</div> Yeah, I heard about that from word of mouth. Frankly, It's too good to believe and too early for this to leak out like that. I think whatever happens will happen out of nowhere like that Baron Davis trade that happened a day or two before people were darn sure it was official.

But still... our #9, their #12 + Wilcox? Crap, if that happens Granger or Antoine Wright has to be a lock for one of the picks...

or we play Pietrus at starting small forward/shooting guard so we have a better chance of convincing him to stay and then addressing our bigger needs which are rebounding/defending/inside scoring center/power forward.
    we can use our #9 and #12 on a risky big and then a safe big like Ike Diogu. Maybe we can use one of the picks for dumping Foyle or Fish maybe on the Cavs or the Magic if they're in need of shooters or character role players. Mullin won't admit he jumped the gun on Foyle and overpaid both him and Fisher after one year will he?

9. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post"> Mullin won't admit he jumped the gun on Foyle and overpaid both him and Fisher after one year will he?</div>

If he's already making calls trying to dangle various packages to entice teams to take on Fisher & Foyle's fat contracts and Chris Cohan is our owner what do you think?

10. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting upsidedownside7:</div><div class="quote_post">If he's already making calls trying to dangle various packages to entice teams to take on Fisher & Foyle's fat contracts and Chris Cohan is our owner what do you think?</div>
    What have you heard regarding trade packages? I mostly heard Dun's the bait, but it's too early to take offseason moves seriously until after the draft.

11. upsidedownside7

A lot of calls to Orlando. You probably read some of it on the espn board.

12. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting upsidedownside7:</div><div class="quote_post">A lot of calls to Orlando. You probably read some of it on the espn board.</div> Oh that... I think fans are hedging their bets that Twardzick is still an idiot or that he'll feel sorry enough to owe us something. I doubt they'll take Foyle back now unless Mullin is convincing it will add more chemistry to the locker room or they could lose their bigs for lower quality bigs than Foyle.

I don't think we have a chance in hell to move this guy until his team option year.

13. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

I'd be content with getting that 12 pick for Dun,even if Wilcox is not in the deal. Wilcox's basketball IQ and savvy are not great,but he's got size and mobility. The W's might then attempt to package Wilcox + Fish,getting something back,but also moving fisher's fat contract. White and Cheaney also are bodies to move out,and if that deal transpired we'd have 2 rd 1's,2 rd 2's,so moving someone off the roster would be pretty important. With picks at 9 and 12 we'd really have some options,with some mix of Diogu,Granger,Frye,Blatche,Bynum,Wright or,if the W's like what they see,Splitter as the top 2. If we could move some of our players and keep Wilcox awhile,to see if he emerges,that's another variation. I can't help but think that if there is talk of such a deal,we're giving something more.
    Since it is the Clips,it's almost believable.

14. upsidedownside7

The Clippers deal isn't happening. Ford is specualting based on team needs but of course there is no source. Wilcox & 12 for Dunleavy? Dunleavy isn't even signed long term and is looking for a pay day. Dunleavy is a glue player. They might as well draft Granger at 12 and get another glue guy who can play defense and his contract is on rookie scale. They avoid paying Mike 50 million...next.

Yeah right....Foyle isn't staying till his team option. That's 3-4 more years that disaster would be playing here. We might not deal him now but we will have to deal a prospect or a future pick to get rid of that son of a bitch. Hands of stone, feet of clay...he's The Thing. The W's are actively looking for his replacement in the draft and will in free agency, I think it's safe to say their looking to replace Foyle.

15. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting upsidedownside7:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Yeah right....Foyle isn't staying till his team option. That's 3-4 more years that disaster would be playing here. We might not deal him now but we will have to deal a prospect or a future pick to get rid of that son of a bitch. Hands of stone, feet of clay...he's The Thing. The W's are actively looking for his replacement in the draft and will in free agency, I think it's safe to say their looking to replace Foyle.</div> Jeez meng, that is freakin' harsh. I get upset when Foyle does an idiot play in a close game, misses point blank layups or drops a pass right to his hands, but c'mon now. Calling him an S.O.B. is just over the top, don't you think? Crap if anyone were Foyle they would not say 'no' to a 5 year guaranteed deal worth at least 40 mil. Check out the signature I made for Gohn.

16. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    You're calling one of the few players in the league that has self respect, honor, and intelligence a S.O.B. becasue you don't like that he was bright enough to sign a big contract? Give the guy a player at the 4 that can play some defense before you jump to those extremes. The truth of the matter is that Foyle is not a star center, nor will he ever be. But he is not as poor as you are making him out to be either. Adonal deserves to be a starting center in this league. Put him next to a 3 or a 4 that can play a lick of defense and you can see how well he plays. When he and Cliffy were both healthy and playing next to each other, he proved that. It's hard for a center whose role is to clean up the glass on offense and shut down defense to stay in the game when the other team is continuously taking running starts at him from the weakside because the other side can't stay with their man (yes I'm ripping Murphy). So easy on the verbage...

Simply put, upgrading (even by downgrading talent wise) the 4 will make a bigger impact on this team than replacing/moving Foyle.

17. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Harsh indeed. Foyle pretty much has to cover two guys at the same time because Murphy doesn't play any defense. Dun Dun is at least good at positioning and team defense but Murphy just lets his opponent shoot so that he can get the rebound. If we get a replacement for Murphy who can play defense you may start to see Foyle's blocked shots go up and allow his man to score less points. IMO Murphy should be looking to slim down a little and improve his defense this season more than he should look to improve his post game.

18. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">Harsh indeed. Foyle pretty much has to cover two guys at the same time because Murphy doesn't play any defense. Dun Dun is at least good at positioning and team defense but Murphy just lets his opponent shoot so that he can get the rebound. If we get a replacement for Murphy who can play defense you may start to see Foyle's blocked shots go up and allow his man to score less points. IMO Murphy should be looking to slim down a little and improve his defense this season more than he should look to improve his post game.</div>

If you mean get ripped by saying slim down then I would agree with you because I think that would improve other aspects of his game alone without even working on it. I would also like to see him develop a nice quick turn around J down low...

19. upsidedownside7

1. Foyle does play help defense but he does it too much. It's idiotic the situations he'll try and swat a shot. This leaves an offensive rebound every time he overplays.

2. Calling him a son of a bitch isn't a slur. It's not racial/hateful so I think the controversy surrounding my "shocking" comments can start to die down.

3. Foyle absolutely is garbage. He's a nice guy blah blah blah I'm not talking about what kind of man he is. I didn't even blame him for signing that contract. I blame him for not even improving from last year to this past year or the little improvement he's shown from a few years ago. He still has the basketball IQ of a potato. When he doesn't get minutes he quietly complained on his retarded website and to the press.

Even when Baron got here he still wanted more touches inside. The decisions he makes on the basketball court are completely idiotic. Do you think I'm enhancing this story to make myself sound good? Go watch some of the tapes this year of that disaster Adonal Foyle. I TIVO'd a lot of games and I've watched that guy messing up in slow motion in 1/4th speed & 1/15th speed.

Before you say Foyle deserves to start in this league, go watch again the games from this season. I dare you.

20. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">After a lackluster season in which he showed flashes of immense potential, but a lack of desire and passion, Chris Taft has been the subject of a lot of media scrutiny. However his workouts have not been as bad as some will have you believe.

On Thursday Taft worked out for the Clippers against Sean May and outdualed the Final Four tournament MVP. In a 2 on 2 game with Elder and Ewing, Taft outplayed May in all facets of the game.</div>

Maybe he's not killing his stock as badly as most of us thought.NBADraft.net