Big XII Conference

Discussion in 'College Football' started by truebluefan, Feb 7, 2013.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Marquel Combs leaving Kansas

Kansas defensive tackle Marquel Combs, who was rated among the best junior college prospects in the nation last year, intends to transfer after being released from his scholarship.

Combs failed to break into the Jayhawks' starting lineup after arriving this season from Pierce College. Kansas coach Charlie Weis said recently that it was possible Combs would redshirt, but instead announced in a statement Monday that Combs intends to transfer.

2. truebluefan

Trevor Knight returns to practice

Oklahoma quarterback Trevor Knight returned to practice after missing the past two weeks because of a knee injury, Sooners coach Bob Stoops confirmed.

Knight, a redshirt freshman, started the Sooners' first two games but was injured against West Virginia on Sept. 7. He was 21 of 48 for 205 yards with four touchdown passes and three interceptions in the wins against Louisiana-Monroe and the Mountaineers. He was replaced by Blake Bell in the fourth quarter against WVU.

3. truebluefan

Devonte Fields out vs. SMU

TCU's Devonte Fields, the reigning Big 12 defensive player of the year, will miss the Horned Frogs' game against SMU on Saturday with a foot injury, coach Gary Patterson said Friday.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Friday that Fields, who suffered the injury two weeks ago at Texas Tech, has a broken foot and could be out longer than one game.

Patterson has not commented on the extent of the injury.

4. truebluefan

Blake Bell leads No. 14 Oklahoma to win at No. 22 Notre Dame

Oklahoma finally found a way to beat Notre Dame again.

The 14th-ranked Sooners took advantage of three interceptions, two in the first 3 minutes as they jumped to a 14-0 lead, and Blake Bell passed for two touchdowns to lead the Sooners to a 35-21 victory over the 22nd-ranked Fighting Irish on Saturday.

5. truebluefan

Earl Campbell: Mack Brown must go

Earl Campbell used the power in his legs to become one of the most prolific running backs in the college game and the NFL in the 1970s and '80s.

The strength of Campbell's voice at the University of Texas could be the last shoe to drop for Mack Brown in 2013.

Campbell, speaking Sunday to KRIV-TV in Houston, said the time has come for Brown to step down as coach or be forced out at Texas.

"Nobody likes to get fired or leave a job, but things happen," Campbell said, according to the Fox affiliate. "I'd go on record and say yes, I think it's time."

Brown has long been a supporter of Campbell, who remains involved in the Texas program, still works out in its athletic facilities and meets with prospects during recruiting events.

"Earl has done so much for Texas," Brown said Monday. "He will always be welcomed at our school. I'm disappointed in his comments, but he's entitled to his opinion."

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...ampbell-calls-texas-longhorns-fire-mack-brown

6. truebluefan

DeLoss Dodds to retire in '14

Longtime Texas men's athletic director DeLoss Dodds will retire in August 2014, the school announced Tuesday.

"I love The University of Texas, and I love the people. We've had a great run," said Dodds, 76. "I have been contemplating this decision for a while. (University of Texas President) Bill Powers and I have talked it over, and this is something I am ready to do at this time."

Dodds, 76, took over the Texas program in 1981 and saw it through the demise of the old Southwest Conference and the creation of the Big 12. Texas athletics has an annual budget of $163.3 million, largest in the nation.

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...as-athletic-director-deloss-dodds-retire-2014

7. truebluefan

David Ash not ready to return

Texas Longhorns quarterback David Ash, who is battling concussion-related symptoms from a head injury suffered last month, will not play Thursday night at Iowa State.

School trainers announced Wednesday that Ash would not travel with the team to Ames, either.

8. truebluefan

Case McCoy 1-yard TD with 51 seconds left lifts Texas by Iowa St.

It didn't matter how Texas beat Iowa State.

The Longhorns just needed to escape Ames with a win.

They survived -- in a way the seething Cyclones might never forget.

Case McCoy scored on a 1-yard plunge with 51 seconds left and Texas rallied to beat Iowa State 31-30 on Thursday night.

9. truebluefan

Paul Rhoads blasts Big 12 officials

Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads blasted Big 12 officiating Thursday night after a Texas fumble at the goal line ended up being ruled down by contact.

Rhoads launched into a loud postgame rant about the game's final moments, his voice rising to a yell as he explained his displeasure with the ruling that led to a 31-30 victory for Texas.

"I've got the privilege as the head coach of this football program to face my players, win or lose, and look them in the eye and [tell them] how proud I am of the work they put forth, the effort they gave," Rhoads said. "And to make a play on the 1-yard line, with their backs against the wall -- clear to everybody -- and have it taken away from them … that's hard to express.

"You don't just put an arm around a guy and tell him it's OK when that happens to him. I'm so proud of the effort my kids gave to win this football game tonight."

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...s-coach-paul-rhoads-blasts-big-12-officiating

10. truebluefan

Kansas recruit dies after stroke

Kansas football recruit Andre Maloney has died after suffering a stroke during a game Thursday night.

Maloney, a senior receiver at Overland Park (Kan.) Shawnee Mission West High School, was transported by ambulance from Shawnee Mission South District Stadium to Research Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Friday evening, the hospital told the Shawnee Mission School District that Maloney had died.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Andre's family, teammates, coaches, fellow students, and the SM West staff during this difficult time," district spokesperson Leigh Anne Neal said in a statement. "The tremendous outpouring of concern expressed today by the our community has been greatly appreciated. We will continue to honor the family's request this time to respect their privacy."

West coach Tim Callaghan told ESPN.com that he immediately noticed something was wrong when Maloney, who had just scored on a 63-yard touchdown pass, got a drink of water and was trying to sit on the bench when he became disoriented.

Two doctors and West's trainer treated Maloney immediately before emergency personnel arrived and transported him to Overland Park Regional Medical Center. He was then transferred to Research Medical Center, which has a dedicated neurological intensive care unit at the Midwest Neuroscience Institute.

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...l-recruit-andre-maloney-dies-suffering-stroke

11. truebluefan

No. 11 Oklahoma able to fend off TCU

Having broken free into the TCU secondary, Brennan Clay took a glance at one of the big screens atop Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, just to see if anybody might catch him.

No one did and Clay finished off a 76-yard touchdown run late in the fourth quarter, providing the necessary cushion for No. 11 Oklahoma in a 20-17 win over TCU on Saturday night.

12. truebluefan

No. 17 Baylor rings up Big 12-record 864 total yards, routs WVU

Bryce Petty and No. 17 Baylor needed only 40 seconds to score their first touchdown in the Big 12 opener.

Their big-play offense and high-scoring ways translated just fine into conference play, with a 73-42 victory over West Virginia on Saturday night.

13. truebluefan

Baker Mayfield injured in No. 20 Texas Tech's win over Kansas

How costly Texas Tech's 54-16 victory over Kansas is going to be is not yet known.

Minutes after the No. 20 Red Raiders scored 54 straight points to swamp the hapless Jayhawks and remain unbeaten, coach Kliff Kingsbury said he could not be sure how badly quarterback Baker Mayfield was hurt. The true freshman had already passed for 368 yards when he was helped off the field with just seconds to go in the third quarter.

Mayfield has started every game for the Red Raiders (5-0, 2-0 Big 12) who are 5-0 for the first time since 2008 and possibly poised for a breakthrough season behind a true freshman walk-on.

14. truebluefan

J.W. Walsh's TD pass with 4:16 left puts Okla. St. past Kansas St.

Mike Gundy was just as baffled as everyone else watching Oklahoma State's offensive struggles for much of the second half against Kansas State.

The Cowboys coach, however, wasn't about to complain about the late burst that led to a 33-29 win over the Wildcats on Saturday.

15. truebluefan

Case McCoy to start vs. Sooners

he Texas-Oklahoma game tends to have high stakes for Longhorns quarterbacks, and Case McCoy said Monday he's embracing his chance for fame or infamy on Saturday.

McCoy, who will start for Texas (3-2, 2-0) against No. 12 Oklahoma (5-0, 2-0) Saturday because David Ash remains sidelined with lingering concussion symptoms, has spent four years living in his older brother Colt's considerable shadow with the Longhorns.

While Colt led Texas to two BCS bowl games and a Big 12 title and was one win shy of a national title, Case has been spent his career as part-time starter, most-of-the-time backup.

16. truebluefan

Mike Davis apologizes for cut block

Texas wide receiver Mike Davis is standing by the reasoning for his controversial cut block against Iowa State, but he apologized Monday for the incident.

Davis drew a public reprimand from the Big 12 Conference on Monday for his late block at the knees of Cyclones safety Deon Broomfield but was not suspended. The senior receiver said the play was a misunderstanding and that he thought the issue was overblown.

"It was crazy. I think people blew it out of proportion and took it too far," Davis said. "It really wasn't that bad. It just looked bad."

On Tuesday, however, Davis was singing a different tune, offering a "full apology" to Broomfield and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby.

"I would like to issue a full apology for not only the play ... but everything that has surrounded this issue. My comments yesterday were not intended to indicate that I would ever do anything illegal or malicious, and I would never have any intent of hurting anyone or doing anything else outside of the rules," Davis said in a statement Tuesday. "I would like to provide a full retraction of anything I said that wasn't apologetic for the play last Thursday, and that I completely understand and accept the reprimand issued by the Big 12.

"... Most of all, I would like to apologize to Deon. He's a great player, and I would like to make sure he knows that my intent was never to hurt him, and that I am not that kind of a player. Again, I am sorry for what happened on the field and everything that has happened around that. Also, I would like to apologize to Commissioner Bowlsby and the Big 12.''

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...longhorns-mike-davis-sorry-says-cut-block-bad

17. truebluefan

TCU's Devonte Fields done for year

TCU defensive end Devonte Fields will have surgery on his injured foot and will miss the rest of the season, coach Gary Patterson said Wednesday.

18. truebluefan

Mack Brown: Winning all that matters

Mack Brown says he doesn't read it, doesn't listen to it and does his best to ignore it. He wants no part of any discussion about whether his job is on the line when the Texas Longhorns play rival Oklahoma on Saturday in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl.

Any talk in Austin about the biggest game on the Longhorns' schedule inevitably comes around to whether it is "win or else" for Brown after 16 seasons as the Texas coach.

"It doesn't affect me at all," Brown said this week as Texas (3-2, 2-0 Big 12) prepared for the No. 12 Sooners (5-0, 2-0).

"There's no giving up, no quitting in this coaching staff," Brown said. "None of that is a factor. ... None of that matters. Winning matters."

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...horns-focused-oklahoma-sooners-not-job-status

19. truebluefan

Case McCoy paces Texas to upset of rival Oklahoma

Mack Brown stood with his players in front of the Texas band cherishing a victory over Oklahoma in the Red River Rivalry that few outside of Austin expected.

After the coach accepted the Golden Hat trophy that came with their 36-20 win Saturday over the 12th-ranked Sooners, Case McCoy and these Texas seniors especially enjoyed passing around the prize and taking turns putting it atop their heads for the first time.

20. truebluefan

Bryce Petty, No. 15 Baylor hold off Kansas State

Baylor coach Art Briles knew that his team would be tested at some point his season. Things had been too easy for the No. 15 Bears during four lopsided home wins.

In fact, he figured the step up in class would start Saturday at Kansas State.

He was right, and his team answered the call.

Bryce Petty threw for 332 yards and three touchdowns, Ahmad Dixon made a critical interception late in the fourth quarter and the Bears held on for a 35-25 victory over the slumping Wildcats.