Bill Walton: The worst Announcer EVER

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by CRM2K4, May 22, 2005.

1. KG-MVP

KG-MVP JBB JustBBall Member

I want to take a baseball bat to my television when Bill Walton is talking.
    First off, I cant stand his voice. Him saying, "THROW IT DOWN BIG MAN!!!" haunts my dreams.
    And have you ever refer to things as "all lathered up"? That is the worst phrase I have ever heard in commentary, and the last thing I want to hear out of his mouth is " This Pistons team is getting all lathered up!" or " his crowd is getting ALL LATHERED UP!" The first time I heard that I couldn't believe my ears.

Then theres the fact that he B.S.'s all day about players hes never heard of during the reular season. He might be saying, "Seung-Jin Ha is such a postive influence on this team blah blah blah" or is kissing the ass of some Lakers player, " Kareem Rush is one of the greatest 3-point shooters of all-time!" You just never know what hes going to say. But you can be sure it will be random and stupid. I was laughing my ass off the other day when he said, "Thugs like carmelo Anthony and Danny Fortson should be kicked out of this league for their brutal attacks on Manu Ginobli" when he would just as soon have a love affair with both of them 2 hours later.
    The guys is just horrible...but have you heard of Grant Napear?

2. WadeDynasty

WadeDynasty JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AirJordan:</div><div class="quote_post">He said he says things just to see peoples reactions.</div>
    Hah that would only work out if he was a comedian.
    Wait i think he looks/talks a little like comedian...

3. SupraJames

SupraJames JBB JustBBall Member

I love Bill Walton. That man makes me feel smarter and better about myself. I watch the games he comments on solely for the entertainment value that he brings.

Watching a basketball game with Bill Walton is like watching a basketball game with a comedian - too fun.

4. N4S

N4S BBW Member

I thought is was funny as hell how he was saying Nash was the most un-athletic player in the NBA. LMFAO!!! He is worse than those Maddenisms.

5. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting briang8818:</div><div class="quote_post">Dude, who care's if he can't dunk? And if I'm not mistaken, Steve is the one dribbling through and past everyone on the court.

Jumping doesn't equal athleticism.

And I agree that Rasheed is better than a healthy JO, because he can do everything JO can do, plus has crazy range. If JO's post game isn't effective, he's worthless, and Wallace is a better defender.</div>

What the hell are you talking about? Jermaine O' Neal is the (I'm not going to say much better) better player.

6. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

Personally I think Walton is a terrible announcer if you take him seriously, but is funny when he makes horrible comments like Steve Nash is the most unathletic player in the league.

Jermaine O' Neal averaged 24.3 ppg and 8.8 rebounds in regular season
    Rasheed 14.5 ppg and 8.2 rbp

Jermaine even gets .5 more blocks per game, and shoots better FT%.

I can't see how Walton sees Sheed better than Jermaine.

Ginobli is a unique player in the league, I think in his situation with the Spurs he plays it better than Kobe or Lebron could, just because Ginobli plays tougher defense and hustles more, he can have good nights by doing the small things.

However Ginobli doesn't have the same profound impact that Kobe or Lebron has, so it really depends in the context that you have the player.

7. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Screamin A. Smith. </div>That really made my day. [​IMG]

8. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting subrock:</div><div class="quote_post">That's not really athleticism, that's a skill. My point, and Bill Walton's point, is that Steve Nash is not very gifted by birth with speed, power, or explosivenes but he beats everyone with his basketball skills and his knowledge of the game. </div>

How is it skill when Nash makes all those crazy, off-balanced jump shots near the baskets? To say that he is the most unathletic player in the league is just ridiculous. He might not be the fastest guy in the league but he has incredible quickness and can beat anyone off the dribble. How is he able to outrun and outhustle a lot of other players late in the game when everyone else is tired? That's not skill, it's ability.

In terms of Walton, I just plain hate him. He has to rely on ridiculous statements because he has no commentating ability. There is no question in my mind that he would not even be a commentator if he wasn't an "NBA great". It's a shame that this guy is taking a spot of someone that actually has an ability to call a game.

9. pimpdaddy33

pimpdaddy33 JBB JustBBall Member

Steve Nash has awesome passing and ball handling skills. Versus other point gaurds in the league, he is about average when it comes to athleticism. But for handles and passing, he is at the top. No doubt about it. His voice is so irritating though. I personally like Al Michaels. He just overall is one of the best commentators of all time. I also enjoy Hubie Brown and his color role. He is also very interesting. Stu Lants also impresses me. Paul Sunderland is pretty good. But Bill Walton can go fishing and stop acting like he knows what he is talking about.

10. legendisdope

legendisdope JBB JustBBall Member

I hate that bald guy that broadcasts on ESPN..he contradicts himself alot, he always bandwagons the team with the lead. Its annoying as hell.

11. lazy afternoon

lazy afternoon JBB JustBBall Member

Bill Walton truly is the worst announcer ---- ever. It's kinda like you get dumber just by listening to him.

12. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

i hate listenin to him. everytime he talks i just want to punch him. i dont remember da last time i heard some10 smart or really true from him

13. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

Bill Walton the worst announcer ever? You must be out of your mind! Bill Walton is the best announcer of All-Time! There is nobody on the face of the planet Earth that gives you better in-depth analysis on basketball better than Walton. He is the most amazing thing since Jordan. He's the 8th wonder of the world! Bill Walton should get a state name after him. Lastly, did I mention that Wang Zhi Zhi and Shawn Bradely are the most dominating force in the NBA? They put Duncan and Shaq to shame.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Same goes for Vitale.</div>

No way. Vitale is the man. YEAH BABY! [​IMG]

14. SupraJames

SupraJames JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Avery:</div><div class="quote_post">Bill Walton the worst announcer ever? You must be out of your mind! Bill Walton is the best announcer of All-Time! There is nobody on the face of the planet Earth that gives you better in-depth analysis on basketball better than Walton. He is the most amazing thing since Jordan. He's the 8th wonder of the world! Bill Walton should get a state name after him. Lastly, did I mention that Wang Zhi Zhi and Shawn Bradely are the most dominating force in the NBA? They put Duncan and Shaq to shame.

No way. Vitale is the man. YEAH BABY! [​IMG]</div>

Ok Avery Walton, u can stop now... lol

15. Got DWade?

Got DWade? JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SupraJames:</div><div class="quote_post">I love Bill Walton. That man makes me feel smarter and better about myself.</div>

So true....so true.

16. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Avery:</div><div class="quote_post">Bill Walton the worst announcer ever? You must be out of your mind! Bill Walton is the best announcer of All-Time! There is nobody on the face of the planet Earth that gives you better in-depth analysis on basketball better than Walton. He is the most amazing thing since Jordan. He's the 8th wonder of the world! Bill Walton should get a state name after him. Lastly, did I mention that Wang Zhi Zhi and Shawn Bradely are the most dominating force in the NBA? They put Duncan and Shaq to shame.

No way. Vitale is the man. YEAH BABY! [​IMG]</div>

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

...no [​IMG]

17. briang8818

briang8818 JBB JustBBall Member

Ginobili just as good as Wade and LeBron? Not looking like such a crazy statement after all.

18. KB23

KB23 JBB JustBBall Member

Bill Walton may be a bad announcer but at least he was pretty good when he played. Guys like Anthony and Legler from Espn were never real good and their opinions suck too. Bill Lambier was one of the worst announcers i have ever seen when Espn brought him in. He was so anti- laker that if my sisters sixth grade basketball team played them he would pick against LA. Tolbert is horrible and Stephen A. Smith the loudest and most irrelevent announcer and anaylzer in the business. There are some good ones however like Doug Collins and Hubie Brown. Steve Kerr is also alright along with some of the play by play announcers like the Big Show.

19. briang8818

briang8818 JBB JustBBall Member

There's a reason TNT deserves to have the ENTIRE playoffs. No one can do justice to basketball the way TNT does it.

Even though Magic is lame, the rest of those guys are great basketball minds

20. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

bill lambier is the worst. period.