Politics Black Friday 2019

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by EL PRESIDENTE, Nov 12, 2019.

1. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

The new ones (butterfly style) introduced about 2-3 years ago have had a lot of documented problems. They made them slimmer profile, so people didn't like that they were so low to the keyboard with not much movement when typing. They would randomly fail even if dust particles got in there. Lots of stuck keys, repeated letters llllike this just completely randomly.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/butterfly-keyboard-issues/

The past few years, Apple QC has not been the sharpest.

2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

A lot of that is regurgitated hysteria and undocumented claims...IMO, it has been blown way out of proportion because, well, I mean, how many people actually take the time to post on FB or other outlets that their Macbook is working as designed? The answer?...practically no one. Hence the saying, "Bad news travels much quicker than good news".

I'm very well aware of the claims and read nearly every article out there on the subject, good and bad...but again, I have had absolutely no problems, and in fact, I have never even spoken with anyone who had a keyboard problem

Besides, Apple will replace any defective keyboards for free. There's no real problem and Apple build quality is just fine.

3. EL PRESIDENTE

I've had problems. Macbook pro with touch bar. They replaced the entire keyboard assembly.

30% failure rate. Granted this is a small sample size, but there are obvious problems, which is why they went back to the traditional design.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/A-wor...oard-failure-rate-of-30-percent.415595.0.html

I'm staying away from any upgrades, I don't really like the feel personally as well.

4. yankeesince59

Yeah, I've read the "30%" figure too, and it's never been fully documented as factual. I read the articles condemning Apple and if you look at sales and other data, it seems "much ado about nothing".

I too have the touchbar version (2 of them) and have had zero problems. Though I must confess that I bought those touchbar versions for reasons other than the touchbar because after experiencing the first touchbar Pro I realized that for my applications I did not need the touchbar. I instead bought the second one because of the upgrades that come standard over the base model.

All things considered, especially OS X, there's really nothing else out there that will sway me, and believe me, I've tried to wean myself off of the Mac cult but with no acceptable alternative.

And moving forward, the newer keyboard version is not exclusive to the 16" version.

5. EL PRESIDENTE

As it shouldn't be. That butterfly keyboard will be an albatross in the future as they retreat back to the Scissor style. If you are in the market for a new macbook, I stand by my original post and say wait until you can get the old scissor style in your price range.

6. yankeesince59

You also quoted a "30% failure rate" which is not only an exaggeration, it also serves to perpetuate a problem that was in many cases, broadcast by competitors.

If you consider the many many of millions Macbooks sold since the "problem" first emerged and do the math on a "30% failure rate" as far as how much revenue it would cost Apple to repair, not to mention stock value, cash reserves, etc., it does support logic or the claim.

Was the butterfly design a problem?...for a few, perhaps...but 30%? No way.

7. EL PRESIDENTE

It was enough for them to release a special repair program, which is rare.

And go back to the old design.

8. EL PRESIDENTE

https://www.32degrees.com/

This is the brand of synthetic clothes they sell at costco. I've been buying quite a bit of these, basic V-necks and shit, and they are good for the money.

70% sitewide. Really comfy kind of like a Drifit or climacool technology. The polo shirts are good, wear them for work everyday.

Talking like 6 dollar V-necks and 9 dollar polo shirts. No wrinkle too.

9. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I get all my polo shirts for free from the Blazers.

riverman likes this.
  10. EL PRESIDENTE

Damn, that's dope. I have one and Adidas one, pretty good.

11. EL PRESIDENTE

Wyze is releasing a limited edition black cam this Friday

12. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

13. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Apples are fine, PC’s are fine. I’ll be honest though I find PC’s are way better and since it takes like all of about 30 minutes to build my own I prefer that route. Also super funny to me is almost everyone I know that uses a Mac professionally ends up with a VM of windows running what seems to be about half the time.

Im definitely bias’d towards PC’s, If my wife hadnt of bought me a pretty awesome Laptop, Id normally prefer to build those too.

Cant bad mouth Apple too much though, as I have andriod’s and iphones and always choose the iphones.

14. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I have found some decent looking deals on Solid State Drives, I may buy a few extra, because they’re amazing.

Haakzilla likes this.
  15. yankeesince59

Never said it wasn't a problem, only that it was not as bad as it was made out to be in the media.

I think it's safe to say that we're not going to agree on this...and that's fine with me.

16. yankeesince59

Yeah, my wife is an accountant and like me, she much prefers the OS X system over Windows but the software she prefers is only offered in a Windows format and I installed Windows on her Mac and it works just fine and simple to switch back and forth. For her accounting software she uses Windows, for everything else she uses OS X.

Simply put, you can run Windows on a Mac but you can't run OS X on a PC.

I've also tried both Android and iPhones but among other things, I don't care for the keyboard on them and for me, I just like the operating system on the Androids over the iPhones...just my 2 cents.

17. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    You actually can run Mojave and Sierra, and other Mac OS’s on PC, using virtual box.
    That said it’s just preference I pretty much hate Linux, but guess what Im stuck using half the time lol.

18. yankeesince59

I've read/heard that the graphics are compromised a good bit with VB...the difference in running Windows on a Mac is that you can run the full version of Windows and you can run it at the same time side by side with OS X.

After using a Mac OS for so long I just can't stand using a Windows unit...just me.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  19. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I haven't ever had much issues with VB’s. I tend to have pretty over powered hardware though. It really does come down to preference.

I understand why people like Mac’s, just never been my thing.

yankeesince59 likes this.
  20. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

I’m not buying any electronics this holiday season. Really just trying to lay off them altogether, aside from work necessity. Our gifts this year are going to be geared toward being more active outside.

I’ve already got a phone in my pocket most of the time. I don’t need one on my wrist or in my glasses or up my ass or whatever they come up with next. Don’t need any “security” cameras that point the wrong way into my home and don’t need any microphones on my shelf.

Your data is on Google’s wish list this year.