Blake to return to practice

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by The Professional Fan, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Let's be fair. Training camp has been under way for just about a week, you can't make a determination (positive or negative) about a rookie player with that small of a sample size ... granted you can see trends possibly emerging, or be slightly encouraged (in the case of Batum for instance) or discouraged, but we can't presume to know what Jerryd is thinking.

Here's what we know about Jerryd. He's able to apply pressure the full length of the court on defense, he can get into the lane almost at will, he's intense, he's got great athleticism and a phenomenal frame for a point guard, and like almost all rookies he's struggling out of the gate -- especially rookie point guards.

2. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    It's Blake's job to lose.

I doubt he'll lose it. He's an almost ideal starter alongside Roy, and I can't wait to see whether he and Rudy can develop any chemistry.

3. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I look at Blake as more of a bottle of Miracle Whip!

4. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Decent point, and I'm trying to be fair. But I'm going off of his body of work at Arizona, his summer league performance, FanFest and 2 games I saw (and reports from the other two); and I'm looking at "trends". I'm NOT saying that he can't ever grow into any particular capability, whether it's 3pt shooting, passing, defense, etc.

What I am trying to say is that Nate and KP have things that they've been trying to get into Jerryd's head, trying to get him to work integrated into the team system. I realize at Arizona maybe he was told to carry the team on his back, and perhaps also in summer league. But I know that October 4th KP said he and Nate had already been working with Jerryd to get him to realize there were other great players on the team, and I haven't seen any change in his game so far to "slightly encourage" me that he's starting to get it. It's not like there are up and downs (which I agree...I'd expect that to be happening)...there are just downs. And my point was that Bayless was anointed to be the future starter at PG based specifically on his ability to work in the team concept and feed our 3 all-star-esque players. I have seen nothing yet (in an admittedly small sample size) to show me he's learning, which is why I think his minutes won't grow very much yet.

5. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

What you say is right on the money as far as offense - but I still wonder if Roy and Rudy playing the 1 and 2 positions can really be effective on defense. If they can - this will be a magnificent combo - maybe the best back-court combo in the league in a couple of years - and the team will be a defensive monster - but if they can not do it on defense - we will only see this line-up occasionally and will still need someone that can really hang with the fast points of the league.

6. ebott

ebott Active Member

All this better suited for blah blah blah talk is utter BS. The simple truth right now is that Blake > Sergio > Bayless. Anybody that says different is trying to make themselves feel better about the player they like.

7. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

I disagree. Blake may not have a role as a starter in such a case, but I view Blake as the ideal backup PG. Solid, dependable, runs the team well, doesn't make a lot of mistakes (which would be a great steadying influence on a second squad).

I'd think I'd rather keep Blake around for backup PG as compared to Bayless or Sergio.

Gramps...

8. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I agree, Blake would make a nice backup point guard, just as Przybilla makes a nice backup center. They're not great players, but they make excellent options off the bench to provide steady, expected contributions.

If both Bayless and Rodriguez blossom, that'll be a nice dilemma. But having Blake means the Blazers can deal one of them, at a premium, with confidence.

9. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

Totally agree.

10. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Blake has never shown any ability to consistently feed Oden the ball in a position where he is an offensive asset either, so I am astounded that you make this assertion.

11. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Not true, I saw Oden fed by Blake plenty of times as he dunked over Frye this summer.

12. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Bayless just needs to make an "Adjustment" to be a play-maker?

I guess I just need to make an "Adjustment " to be a world class surfer, a Nasa test pilot, and a heart surgeon.

Effective floor generals are extremely rare beings and Bayless would have to become a totally opposite person from the one he has been all his life. He sees the game as a match of himself against his opponent. He views his teammates as obstacles to dribble around on his way to score. He is a SG first, last, and always.

13. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    :biglaugh:

14. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    The simple truth right now is that Sergio > Blake > Bayless. Anybody that says different is trying to make themselves feel better about the player they like.

15. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Maris, it's this kind of post that makes people stop taking you seriously. C'mon, let's get real, Sergio is looking improved, but he's still been sloppy with the ball (unforced turnovers) and hasn't been able to feed Greg the ball quickly enough on the low block -- although he's definitely shown he's worthy of the backup spot. And I while I no longer cringe every time he's running the show, the guy still has a LOOOOOONNNGGGG ways to go before I'd annoint him the starting PG. There's more to being an NBA starting caliber point guard than court vision and passing (though those are both a good place to start).

16. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    I think he'll eventually be the starter, but first he has to adjust to the game and then re-adjust as other teams adjust to him. That process should take most of the year.

17. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

And how do you know that? Did you watch the summer games where they played together? It is true they haven't played together in pre-season (obviously) so the only thing we can go on are the games they played in practice together which were largely closed to the public.

However, I think the fact that it Blake was first team and Nate has commented about how things will likely run better with Blake back says a lot for how he works with the rest of the guys. Perhaps Sergio will get there at some point but he is not yet the match of Blake. Sergio may be more exciting and occasionally post astounding numbers but I don't believe he is ready to lead yet (although he is more so than Bayless).

Gramps...

18. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

I agree.

Agree.

Blake Starting with Sergio backing him up, I think, gives us the best chance to win. And I think that is the line-up we should go with. Bayless will have chances to earn his time throughout the year. He will be fine. This will make him even better.

I'm really happy for Sergio though. And I cannot WAIT for Blake to get back. This guy compliments our line-up perfectly.

Throughout the summer, the talk was about how well Blake was working with Oden.

19. azsun67

azsun67 Blazer fan in the Sun

I think for Bayless to come in and naturally be able to feed the ball to Oden in the post is a dream. I am pretty sure Bayless has always been the best player on his team so the plays were designed to get Bayless the ball where he wanted it, not dumping it into a big man who couldn't score if he wanted to. I fell Bayless will learn what he has to do. Remember that learning the PG position in the NBA is the hardest position to learn. I am sure it makes it harder since he truely isnt a PG, but a combo guard.

20. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

I am just really happy that Sergio came ready to play this year. I had completely written him off after last year, but am more than happy to be wrong about it!

If you look at last year, and Jack playing, (Don't get me wrong, Jack played really hard for the Blazers, and I will give him a good ovation when he plays in Portland with his new team this year), but he was just one of those players that would lose you a game, or 10.

Now the Blazers will have 2 legitimate PG and the Multifaceted Roy to handle the ball, and I figure that will give the Blazers a few more marks in the W column.