Blazer fans are too fickle?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by 1 Eye Jack, Dec 10, 2008.

1. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    With every loss, it's like the end of the world. I'm really surprised with all the losing we've experienced over the last 5 years you would think we'd handle it better. Unfortunately it seems like fans are ready to slit their wrist over every loss and looking to lynch a player for any mistake. We need to sit back and enjoy the ride. It's early on the ride and we are going to see lots of ups and downs with this very young inexperienced team. These kids are playing their hearts out every single game and have already given us some amazing basketball this year. For me the best part of the ride is seeing everything being built from the ground up and slowly seeing it all come together.

1. Roy- is exceeding every one's expectations quickly becoming a superstar
    2. LMA- is meeting expectations which is giving us a great 1-2 punch
    3. Oden- shows signs (althought inconsistent) he is going to be a difference maker for us
    4. Rudy- is the real deal
    5. We are on top of our division and unlike last year we look like we'll stay there.

My point is take a step back and enjoy teams built like Boston don't get to enjoy this building process. Personally I'm enjoying every second even in the losses it's great to see how much these guys care.

2. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Re: Blazer fans are to fickled?

Yeah, I agree. That loss was a real bummer - but look at this year's play compared to last year. They whooped our rear twice last year - we just could not contend with them. We won one against them year and lost one on a last second tough shot by Turk. What's not to love?

3. BatumKaboom

BatumKaboom Suspended

We are getting better. Some of us are realizing that we just lose sometimes. It happens in an 82 game season.

4. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer

I, as well as many others I suppose, analyze games and how we are playing and find a lot of pleasure in this. Sometimes that means that negatives will come out, which is most likely to happen after losses since the Blazers only lose when they don't play their best ball. This is not to say that I am not loving this season or that I didn't enjoy the game last night. I love our players and have been throughly impressed with all our young guys. But this does not mean that from a particular game, I can't point out that Oden looked timid, Outlaw played sloppy or Batum seems less impressive than in the recent past.

To tell you the truth, the posts that get on my nerves are the ones that try and tell people how the should react, act or post.

5. 1 Eye Jack

Honestly I don't have a problem with fans dissecting the game. It's the over the edge posting that drives me crazy. Comments like "Roy is suppose to be a superstar he should make his free throws" (sorry he's human going to have off nights), Oden has a good game and the next night he's in foul trouble and people are calling him a bust. More than anything I'm just shocked at the extremes fans are at with the losses. It's almost as though some fans expect to win every game and to me that seems unrealistic.

6. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer

It has been scientifically shown that male fans show a 20%-30% drop of testosterone after their team loses. My point is that people really feel the losses at their core. And the physiological changes combine with psychological yoyoing during the game lead many fans to be somewhat fatalistic at games' end. This visceral reaction plays out in different ways for different people. Some, like myself, tend to be more reserved and introspective, others lean on the positives so their fandom framework does not crumble, while others lay fault on who they deem responsible for the loss. None of these reactions are "right" or "wrong", just different ways to absorb a hard blow.

Usually, the tenner is somewhat muted the following day, as people have had a chance for sleep and sobriety to creep into their disheveled heads and allow for a more balanced and pragmatic view to come forth. This is not the case for everyone, as some feel they are bound to continue to defend their stances for the sake of the internet, and others are simply lacking on the ability to be analytical and continue to have their views determined by the plight of the previous night.

Anyway you look at it, people have differing opinions and I love the debates here, no matter which side I fall on, because they are typically being battled out by emotions by some and strict sober analysis by others. The clash of these distinct viewpoints provide me with food for thought as well as quite a few laughs.

7. 1 Eye Jack

Wow that was deep ;) I enjoy most of it too.

8. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I actually woke up feeling OK about the team's effort last night. Sure they dropped a close one on a lucky shot, and yes they could have executed better down the stretch, but a lot of credit has to be given to Orlando's shooters, they were smoking hot from downtown last night. The encouraging signs were LMA absolutely carving up Howard and Lewis, and the fact that the team got back to really moving the ball and played incredible interior defense even with Oden stinking it up for the night.

I have a feeling this team is going to really give Utah a run for their money tomorrow night with revenge on their minds.

9. andalusian

I have a good feeling about it too. Remember what we did to Chicago after the 1 point win over Sacramento when Nate got into them.

I do not think a Boozer-less Utah and a somewhat hobbling Deron are as good as they usually are in the Radium Stadium - should have a good chance of winning that one.

10. Drink Your Milkshake

Drink Your Milkshake Suspended

It's "fickle" and no we're not!

11. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Or "pickled". And it's a question of to be pickled or not to be pickled.

That is the question.

Ed O.

12. Rodolfo

Rodolfo Double Stamp>Triple Stamp

great commentary but now I'm craving pickles. damn!

13. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

...and its "too" not "to"!!! The grammar Nazi frowns upon you! :tsktsk:

14. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

While they/we are too fickled, I think (pretty much) every fan base does the same thing. You just need to find a forum were a bunch of them are on it... (That Toronto forum earlier, ClubLakers, etc...)

So its all good. It gets EXTREMELY annoying, but meh... its their right to do w/e they want. Sometimes the overreacting is funny as shit to watch though (Mixum, KingSpeed).

15. andalusian

I like Kosher fickles. (and turtles too).

Oh - and say NO to half-sour fickles.

16. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

he said "to blathe...", which everyone knows means "to bluff". He's a gambler.

17. bodyman5001

bodyman5001 Genius

auto collision technician

Who the fick are you calling fuckled? What?

I just want a new coach sooner than later. I would even settle for having him take an IQ test and keeping his job if he scored over 100.

18. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports

The people who are over the top get on my nerves a lot, but I think if you go around to other teams' forums likes ours, you'll see much of the same. Even Laker fans were piling on Kobe and wanting to trade their players after their loss last night. Not sayin' it's cool, but we're not the only ones.

19. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

Who and where did you see this stupidity?

20. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter

Impatient, fickle and quick to anoint and demote.