Blazer Position Rankings

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by cmeese47, Jun 16, 2014.

1. cmeese47

cmeese47 Well-Known Member

I am not sure about that, LA is clearly one of the leagues best at PF and while there are probably several Centers with more talent than Rolo his selfless style made those around him better. Sure someone like Gasol or Noah would be an upgrade and both have the same selfless style but neither will be available.

It seems C options would be to swing a deal for Hibbert or sign someone like Gortat otherwise you could maybe add someone like Chris Anderson as a back up or hope someone like Hawes would take the MLE. I don't see Gortat fitting in any better than Rolo did. Hibbert could be an upgrade but he would need return to the form that made him an all star and not the shell we saw late in the year.

Not many options at PF maybe they could take a flier on Blatche but then what do you do with TROB. If we dealt him only someone like ZBO, Monroe or Gasol would not be a significant downgrade. There are options but not exactly great.

2. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

No bench!

3. cmeese47

What do you need a bench 4 with that much talent in your starters I mean shit the finals games were like 3 days apart. Plenty of time to rest.

4. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Apparently it doesn't include Wesley's leadership over the past couple of seasons. That man is the heart of the team.

:sigh:

5. cmeese47

That is certainly something to consider.

6. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Lillard: 2nd
    Aldridge: 1st
    Matthews: 4th
    Batum: 7th (3rd for his type: The Triple-Double Threat)
    Lopez: 4th

7. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

All of our players really improved their trade value this past season.

8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Lillard - 5 (6) if Irving was ever healthy
    Aldridge - 4
    Batum - 7
    Matthews - 7
    Lopez - 7
    Bench - 30

9. cmeese47

I would really like to see why people voted the way they did.

10. cmeese47

Lillard is 4th on my list behind CP3 Westbrook and S. Curry. CP3 is a much better passer and defender than Lillard, in addition to that he has the ability to score at will. Westbrook might take a few too many bad shots but the dude is an animal he was essentially 22 PPG 7 ast and 6 REB per game during the season and those numbers went up in the playoffs 26 8 and 7. Curry is a better passer and a slightly better shooter with equally bad defense. So he gets a slight nod. Lillards beats out Rose injuries, Parker Age, Irving injuries and team success, Dragic just on personal preference, Lowry on scoring ability and Wall also on personal choice.

11. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Lillard beats out parker for age? Parker is still the more talented player. Is this dynasty rankings?

12. cmeese47

I have Aldridge at 3rd he is not as good defensively as the brow. He is not as efficient as Griffin or the brow. I have him above Love just because he has been a lot healthier. Monroe has not improved enough to be considered on LA's level, Millsap is great but does not have the same ability to take over a game that LA possesses, West is great but age is a concern.

13. cmeese47

I don't see Parker being able to lead a team like the Blazers the same as Lillard. He just does not seem physically capable of playing 36 minutes a night.

He works great for the Spurs because he does not have to do it all.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  14. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

He led his team to a championship. Lillard led his team to a trouncing by Parker's Spurs

15. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

So you're saying Lillard is as good as LeBron and Durant? :ghoti:

16. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

And that Parker is better than Lebron and Durant.

17. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Come on be fair . . . the correct analogy is Parker is better than Westbrook.

18. cmeese47

It certainly did not help that LA struggled against the Spurs, the bench did not exist, and Matthews 3 point shot failed him.

19. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Will only go to top 5 per position... Otherwise it becomes a book.

Point Guard.
    Top Tier:

# 1 - Chris Paul - CP3 is the winner by a landslide at this position. He is just so much better than any other PG in the league in terms of leadership, Competitiveness, and taking the other PG scoring on him personally. Even missing games every year he is still by far the best PG in the league.

Middle Tier:

# 2 - Westbrook - A healthy Westbrook in body and mind has shown he can be on CP3's level. But because he plays with the best shooter in the game it's hard for him. However Westbrook has shown that Durant needs him in the playoffs to be successful. Regular season Durant can carry the Thunder because of his shooting. But the playoffs Westbrook is needed and expected to produce. And he does. Health plays a role into putting him into this Tier. If he can show he can be healthy for 82 games and perform in the playoffs. he can get back to CP3's level. But must show Health.

# 3 John Wall - This man has shown he improves year in and year out. His jumper is coming he shot a career high 35% from three this year. John Wall is coming. If Westbrook and CP3 slide at all in ability. This guy would take their spots. He has all the tools.

# 4 Tony Parker - This guy could average 25+ ppg if the spurs needed him to. He doesn't have the crossover Iverson did, nor is he the head case.. But he is on that level as far as quickness. I don't think he could keep it up for 82+ games due to his age because Small guards who challenge bigs typically take a beating. But Tony Parker is a scary guy.

# 5a/b Steph Curry & Damian Lillard - These two guys have shown they can shoot the lights out. Can get to the rim, are dominate offensive players... However Neither play much defense... or even try at times on defense... Steph Curry gets the 5a because he's been in the league longer. But Steph Curry has had injury issues with his ankles. Can they continue to hold up? if they don't Curry will fall off this list entirely, because Lillard in two years has shown he's durable. We'll see how he feels during/after year 3.

Shooting Guard.

Top Tier

# 1 James Harden - Even though he basically can't guard a kitten he is still heads and tails above the next guy. He's Durable... He's great at drawing contact. He needs to improve his mental toughness and leadership ability. Can't have young players spouting off during a playoff series to the media. He needed to get @ chandler parsons. Terrible leader at the moment... However he is still the best two in the league.

# 2 Paul George - Great two way player. Has all the ability to be a superstar. Needs to improve with leadership skills. Needs to improve his passing. I'm not sure if he is in the right position(team wise) to overtake James Harden.. But he has the Talent and physical tools to do it. But is he that type of player? Don't know.

Middle Tier

# 3 Lance Stephenson - Good two way player. Can make the spectacular play.. But also over dribbles and will make you rip your hair out. Young inexperienced player. I wonder if he put up stats this year because he was playing for a contract.

# 4 Bradley Beal - Might have the Talent and god given ability to be the best two in the league. I don't know if he'll ever get there playing with John Wall. Can shoot, has the tools to play defense.

# 5 - Manu Ginobili - Shown he's still a great player at his age. Not a lifetime achievement award. Manu is good and the Spurs don't win the title without him playing at a HIGH level.

Small Forward.

Top Tier.

# 1 Lebron - Nuff said.

# 2 Durant - no question.

Middle Tier.

# 3 Melo - Can shoot. Basically had no talent around him this year and still he carried the team to 33 wins. I mean Felton was his PG. Needs to try harder on the defensive end.

# 4 Batum - I've criticized Batum enough. He's #4 at his position. Credit where Credit is due.

# 5 Leonard - Shown he's going to be a superstar.

Power Forward.

Top Tier.

#1 Aldridge - Will start by giving credit. This guy can play. Any team would love to have him. Deserves MAX money. Has the leadership qualities/talent/ability/size you need at this position. Can play great low post defense and great defense on the perimeter. Sometimes lacks concentration on defense and gives up easy buckets. Can be a good shot blocker.
    Aldridge needs to improve his triple threat game and improve his ball handling skills, which will lead to more assists. I fully believe he'll be a better player next year. Has shown improvement every year. His Minutes need to come down.

#2 Blake Griffin - Blake has shown he can dominate a game on both ends of the floor with his hustle. Still needs to learn the fundamentals of the game, and improve his concentration. Has shown to be weak mentally. At 6"10 he flops way too much. His post skills are unpolished. Looks like a high school finesse player when trying to post up.

#3 Kevin Love - Although I believe he's not as good as everyone says, he still shouldn't be ranked lower than this. He still makes the top Tier at his position... But he won't next year if he can't get his team to the playoffs. Also he needs to play more defense and stop trying to put up numbers. Needs to be a better teammate. Needs to stay healthy. Can't be in the conversation as the best PF in the game if you don't make the playoffs, don't play defense, and don't stay on the court. Too many negatives. Stats aren't everything. Many players have put up amazing stats and never won a thing.

Middle Tier

#4 Anthony Davis - Needs to stay healthy. Has the ability to be a great two way player... But can't stay healthy. Don't know about his leadership skills because his team is sooo young. Needs to improve the Pelicans winning % to at least .500 next year. To do that he needs to stay on the court. He needs to put more meat on his frame or he'll never stay on the court.

#5 Tim Duncan - He wants to be a Power forward so this is where he'll be listed on my list. Don't need to say much about Timmy.

Center.

Top tier

#1 Howard - Dominate, Healthy, Good footwork. Needs to throttle Parsons next time he runs his mouth.

#2 Marc Gasol - Great defensively, Great offensively, Makes everyone on his team better. without him the Grizz are a lotto team. Amazing how good this guy is.

Middle Tier

Everyone else.

illmatic99 likes this.
  20. cmeese47

First thing I want to say is repped for the explanation.

Next LA is a dreadful perimeter defender he gets destroyed on pick and roll and rarely challenges people on the perimeter which is why people like Ryan Anderson do well against him. He is also a terrible team defender. He is a solid post defender though. I can see how you could rank him number 1 considering the injury history of Griffin, Davis and Love.