Exclusive Blazers 14 Coaches: Worst to Best

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

LA wants a new coach too. Maybe Jason Kidd would be a good fit as he was such great coach in Brew Town & New York.
    So many great coaches that are unemployed just waiting to bring a team a championship!

2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Uh.....no

3. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Oh McMillan, because he has the fifth best playoff record and the 2nd (almost third now) longest tenure as coach. He had more success as coach then those below him. Where do you think he should be on the list?

4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Lebron wants someone who can pretend to be coach like Lue

Hoopguru likes this.
  5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Mr. Sonic should have never been on the list

6. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Not sure what Jason kidd has to do with anything. Ive said multiple times coaches Id like them to go after. Jason Kidd actually proves that sometimes NBA coaches just arent good at it...

Hoopguru likes this.
  7. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Also for what its worth Im cheering for Stotts to be successful this year and get out of the 1st round or further and if he does then I’ll be ok with them sticking to him.

Chris Craig likes this.
  8. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I just know that I did not enjoy McMillans teams. Felt so conservative. He’s like the football coach who punts on 4th and inches. He won 50 games twice, don’t think he had overly talented teams but not worse than this roster. I’d take Stotts all day.

42N8Bounce and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  9. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Its so weird to watch the Pacers, to his credit McMillan has adapted!

To Stotts credit this year I think he’s tried some things, like playing through Nurkic at the top of the key and using him as a facilitator.
    I dont really understand the infatuation with starting Aminu and Harkless. Even if they lose on the 1st round, just play a competitive series and my feelings will be better!

10. Hoopguru

In the NBA I think to much is made of Coaches, Ive even heard players and other coaches say it's a players league.
    Im convinced and Walton proved it you could put Stotts on the Warriors and he'd win championships.
    Gus like POP, Jackson & Riley no way they win without them multi super stars. When you step back and look at a coaches that have been able to get a lot from lessor talent thtas when, imo you can say this guys a decent coach but its still the players.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The fans were just excited about Luke Babbit getting them a Chalupa that season...pretty much the highlight...Canales I'll always remember for his use of the phrase...."bring your hard hat to work". Stotts was by far the better choice....Stotts also lost a contending core to injuries and the LA leaving thing...considering how long it took the Wolves or Sixers to get in the playoffs...he's achieved what I consider to be a remarkable feat....beating the best with bench players and a star while rebuilding a roster around Dame and developing draft picks...Layman is proof of that...also that I think Stotts has absolutely built the best team culture of any coach ever in Portland...just quality guys to represent the city

42N8Bounce and Chris Craig like this.
  12. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

McMillan's offense is still pretty vanilla. I think where you can give him credit is having that team prepared and ready to compete defensively every night.

Their depth has really helped them as well. Two deep at every position.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  13. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I think the pace they play at it is much better than he ever got the Blazers to play.

14. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Coaches are going to say its a players league because they need the Players to play well in order to keep their jobs. :)
    I think at times too much is made of coaching as well, but I think coaching is important in the playoffs when talent is much closer, and you’re game planning for a team much more than normal.
    Thats really what bothers me about Stotts, against the Pelicans they seemed completely out coached, like they had never seen a trap before, some of the nit picky stuff, yes its on the players to execute and we dont know how often a bad turnover or a “mistake” is on bad coaching or how much is just players making bad choices. I think a new coach would bring new ideas, not neccesarily better ideas just a new perspective.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  15. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I think that's more about adjusting to different personnel. Collision, Oladipo and Young are all better utilized in an uptempo style.

Brandon and LaMarcus were both naturally more suited for a half court game where they could get to their spots and utilize their skill level or run PNR.

16. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Yes, but isnt adjusting to your personel part of good coaching? One thing I found annoying about Nate was it felt like every year he and his staff would talk about playing faster and they never did. I think we agree though.

JDC likes this.
  17. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Adelman fired after 6 years and 2 trips to the finals. Stotts at 7 years and looking bullet-proof.

Has the league changed that much, or have the Blazers just given up? For those of you willing to jump on a grenade for Stotts, did you react that way when Adelman or Dr Jack were fired? I'm honestly curious...outside of Terry seeming like a nice guy (so were Mo and Nate) what is the source of this extreme loyalty?

TBpup likes this.
  18. Hoopguru

I think Stotts knows well he fortunate to have a job this season and he knows if he doesn't take the next step in the playoffs he's gone.
    I think the answer to your question with re: to loyaly, its Dame. I believe he's Terry's most loyal supporter and he has some clout. He but he shouldn't.

oldmangrouch and TBpup like this.
  19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Compare rosters too then though.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  20. Hoopguru

yep....who had the best talent by a landslide!