Blazers 21-22 Schedule released

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by santeesioux, Aug 20, 2021.

1. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

We were 9-8 on back to backs last season and six of the nine wins were at the end of three games in four days. So, I also don't think there's such thing as a schedule loss.

Yeah you've got this a little mixed up without having a back to back to back, you can't possibly have 5 games in 6 nights. In the situation that you're talking about we'll have days off on the 11th and 13th and will end up playing 5 games in 7 nights. That is still brutal but there's no reason we can't win that last game... I'm not saying we will because I think that if the Raptors are healthy and we haven't made any moves they probably should beat us but we'll have to wait and see. Regardless, a "schedule loss" is a fallacy. Of course harder times in the schedule like the stretch we're discussing decrease a teams likelihood to win but it in no way guarantees a loss.

BonesJones likes this.
  2. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

The thing is @BonesJones is saying all teams have them and there is no such thing as a "Schedule Loss". He is correct all teams have them. Brutal sections of the schedule happen. Blazers will be the benefactor for a few I'm sure. But that run if you want to call it 7 days or in 6 nights ( count from the 9th to the 15th) makes a tough first game back after a tough trip. Clippers, Suns, Houston, Denver then home.
    This is the first road game of a 6 game trip for the Raptors. They will be in Portland when the Blazers are playing the Nuggets.
    From my experience watching the Blazers, this game will be very tough to win.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

i agree except with an asterisk. Sometimes coaches take these game and make them a scheduled loss by just sitting players in a game they know will be tough. Popovich would consider it a scheduled loss and a day of rest for his stars.

blazerkor likes this.
  4. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I don't want to get caught up in minutia but the first game is on the 9th and the last is on the 15th... so we'll do what you said to. 9th 1, 10th 2, 11th 3, 12th 4, 13th 5, 14th 6, 15th 7. It's a brutal 7 night stretch but we won games last season at the end of similar stretches (see NOLA on February 17th, we won all 5 games in that stretch). So there are scheduling difficulties that will make certain games harder but no schedule losses. It's not even an agree to disagree thing... they just don't exist.

5. Fairly-Hard

Yeah to me this is an "agree to disagree" thing.

Here is a story on the fatigue factor. The league even has an actual "Schedule Alert" score called the "Mah Score" after Dr. Cheri Mah who did a rather eye opening study on the fact that yes the schedule does in fact effect the outcome of games played regularly in the NBA. Backed up by Vegas and odds involved.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25117649/nba-schedule-alert-games-your-team-lose-2018-19

Here is a site that addresses "rest days" so obviously the NBA and the training staffs are taking these issues into account.
    https://www.nbastuffer.com/rest-days-stats/

In 2016 a story was released that had a 5 year study on it and this story has numerous quotes by notable players and coaches that all agree "schedule alert" games obviously lead to "Schedule Losses".
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17790282/the-nba-grueling-schedule-cause-loss

A 2017 story on the Golden State Warriors about "Schedule Losses" that includes flight miles and overall fatigue factor is also. This story has actual percentages and numbers of makes and misses from free throws to 3 point shooting.
    https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2...oston-celtics-the-anatomy-of-a-scheduled-loss

You don't have to agree with it. But you do have to agree that many people tend to agree with me here that there are schedule losses.
    Ask any player in the league. My bet is they agree with me as well.

6. Fairly-Hard

As far as all that is concerned. I guess you have never taken a trip that was 4 days 3 nights long. You counted the 9th as a full day.
    That's fine. 7 days works for me. The 15th will be a very tough game. Lets hope they pull off the victory.

7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

ugh. First 20 games could affect our standing with Dame.

https://www.nba.com/news/how-rest-road-trips-and-other-factors-played-out-in-2021-22-schedule

Tough start for Portland
    With those numbers in mind, the Blazers could be under the microscope more than they already are. As the Blazers struggle to build a serious Western Conference contender around Damian Lillard, the point guard’s happiness in Portland will continue to be a story line, even though he’s under contract for at least two more years.

After a second straight season in the bottom five in defensive efficiency and a second straight first-round exit, the only major change made around Lillard was on the bench, where first-time head coach Chauncey Billups replaces Terry Stotts. And to add to the pressure, Billups and the Blazers will have to deal with the league’s toughest first 20 games.

The Blazers will play those 20 games against opponents that had a cumulative winning percentage of 0.542 last season, the highest mark for any team’s first 20. Portland’s first 20 games include three against the Clippers, and two each against the Nuggets, Sixers and Phoenix Suns. They also have games against the Grizzlies, Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Lakers.

In addition to having the toughest first 20 games in regard to cumulative opponent winning percentage from last season, the Blazers are also tied (with New Orleans) for the most back-to-backs (5) in the first 20 games. They have 14 back-to-backs for the season, and six of the 14 are in a 31-day stretch from Oct. 31 to Nov. 30.

The Blazers’ chance at recovery could come in December. Beginning with the second game of that sixth back-to-back (Nov. 30), they’ll play 15 of 19 at home.

Here are the five toughest schedules over the first 20 games, when you take opponent strength (using average point differential per 100 possessions from last season), location and rest into account…

8. Fairly-Hard

Look at those numbers for the Lakers. Gravy train compared to the rest of the league.

9. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

So we have the hardest start and the Fakers the easiest?! For the love of Dame we need a miracle.

Orion Bailey and Freshtown like this.
  10. Fairly-Hard

Going to put on my Homer Glasses and say it's a good thing because it will be the part of the season they are not injured yet.

HailBlazers likes this.
  11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

They probably got that schedule because they are so old huh?

12. THE HCP

Start of the season will be very important for US.

blazerkor likes this.
  13. Fairly-Hard

I really would not know. What i do know is they get to play two away games at home. They have the easiest first 20 games compared to every other team in the league by quite a long way. They have three of the best players in the league starting for them and they are on national television almost nightly. The pressure on them to perform will be very high and they need to stay healthy or their season could unravel quickly.
    The Lakers are now considered one of the teams to beat in the western conference. If the Blazers beat them i will be happy as usual.

THE HCP likes this.
  14. THE HCP

Well that means they will have the TOUGHEST end of season schedule right? And as far as having a great roster, you wouldn’t get that feeling reading posts on here.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  15. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I think this Lakers roster is more talented now, than when they won the title in '19. But chemistry is something that is hard to come by. It's not bought, it's made. Health, and chemistry will be key. The same for any contender. But i'm not sold on either for this Laker team.

Fairly-Hard and THE HCP like this.
  16. THE HCP

#QPF

Quality Post FAMS!

17. Fairly-Hard

I sure hope you are right but I'm not sure? Their last 20 games have the Suns twice and the Warriors twice. All four games are away so that would be tough, though the travel is a simple hop for both. The also play the Nuggets, Jazz and Mavs all on the road. 7 pretty tough games for sure in the last 20. They do have a few one game home and back on the road stuff.

Looking at it the last 20 for them look tough. I'm sure i could complain if it was the Blazers.

18. Fairly-Hard

Then of course the Blazers want to avoid the play-in at all costs. Seriously Nobody needs to play two extra games to get into the playoffs.
    I also noticed the last game is again "TBD" as far as time goes. They will play 5 or six games all at once again.
    Time to sit at a sports book and watch them all.

19. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member