Blazers at Kings

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trail_Blazer76, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]

<font color="Red">Blazers: 16-23 (Lost 5)</font> <font color="Purple">Kings: 29-9 (Won 5)</font>

<u><font color="Red">By Trail_Blazer 76</font></u>

When: Tuesday, January 20th
    Where: Arco Arena
    Time: 10:00pm ET

Probable Starters

[​IMG][​IMG] Damon Stoudamire/Mike Bibby
    [​IMG][​IMG] Jeff Mcinnis/Doug Christie
    [​IMG][​IMG] Rasheed Wallace/Predrag Stojakovic
    [​IMG][​IMG] Zach Randolph/Brad Miller
    [​IMG][​IMG] Dale Davis/Vlade Divac

Key Matchup
    Rasheed Wallace vs Predrag Stojakovic
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sheed and Peja are two forwards that play completely different styles of the game. Although they are virtually the same size (1lb and 1 inch is the difference between the two), Sheed has the defensive advantage. Peja is his team's leading scorer, and isn't usually forced to work that hard on the defensive end. If Sheed decides to be a scorer in this game, Peja will be forced to defend him, and be more tired offensively.

For Peja, outside shooting is his forte. Consequently, Sheed will be forced to guard Peja on the arc, freeing up the inside for cutters, and posting. Peja's inability to create is his main disadvantage in this match up, because he is a catch-and-shoot player. Rasheed will need to read the passes and put a hand up before they are actually caught, because Peja's release is very quick.

X-factors
    <u>Ruben Patterson & Bobby Jackson</u>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Ruben Patterson is usually only put in the game for three reasons: 1. to give a more important player a rest, 2. to serve as a defensive stopper, or 3. to get a crucial rebound. However, recently Patterson has been having stellar performances (probably due to trade rumors), scoring in the upper-teens low twenties. If Patterson reaches double digits in addition to bringing his defense, the Blazers have a good shot at stealing this one.

Bobby Jackson would start on most every other NBA team, and is always a candidate for the 6th man award. His clutch shooting nearly always puts the nail in the coffin, and decrease his opponents confidence so that the Kings can take over more easily. The more points he scores in a short time period, the better. He will need to lead any runs that the Kings have.

[​IMG]<font color="Red"> The Trail to Victory</font>

The Blazers' recent struggles have left Mo with tears running down his Cheeks [​IMG] (literally: Story ). The Blazers will need a miracle to win this one, but they'll have to settle for good defense. They are averaging nearly 15 less ppg than the Kings, so it is highly unlikely that they will outscore them. Force outside shots, and contest everything, follow the basics. Praying couldn't hurt either.

[​IMG] ]<font color="Purple">Taking the Crown</font>

Frankly, this should be a clinic for Sacramento. They just need to do what the always do. The point guard match up isn't as much of a mismatch as it normally is, but I still doubt that Mouse can Stay with Bibby. Peja needs to shoot from deep to force Sheed out of the lane. Brad Miller will need to do the same with Randolph, and somehow manage to contain him on the other end.

<font color="Red">***Trail_Blazer76's Prediction***</font>

Earlier this year the Blazers overcame a 24 point deficit in the second half to beat Sac-Town at the Rose Garden. However, that was at the Rose Garden. If you can't win on the road, you most certainly aren't going to win at Arco.

Kings by 11.

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Nice preview...I agree and say the Kings by double digits

3. Accord

Accord JBB JustBBall Member

I predict the Kings will win 108-101 in a thriller down to the last minute. The Kings are very hot right now and i'm sure the Blazers just might consider this one of their most important games of the season. They have the opportunity to beat the best team in the league and end their 3 game losing streak so you can expect to see them playing harder this game than any other game this season.

4. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    The Blazers are going to try their hardest to beat the Kings. They have dropped out of playoff contention and are probably going to give all they got in order to prove that they are playoff material against the best team in the league. However, I expect them to tank in the 4th quarter and eventually lose by 5.

5. jump

jump JBB JustBBall Member

Top preview. I expect to see the Kings take this by double digits.

6. Ice

Ice JBB Member

The Kings are playing amazing basketball right now. They are at home for this one, so I don't see the Blazers taking this one.

Kings by double digits

7. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ice Breaker:</div><div class="quote_post">The Kings are playing amazing basketball right now. They are at home for this one, so I don't see the Blazers taking this one.

Kings by double digits</div>

Definitely, especially the fact that they're home court. My friend Franchise3 describes them as veteran talent with the best team chemistry. I'd have to agree there, plus it doesn't look like the Blazers have enough size or strength to contend them with. Not that Wallace wouldn't make short work of Peja. Kings by 11.

8. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

Portland has the talent to win a whole lot of games, but they haven't been doing it this year, and I doubt they can beat the Kings at Arco, where very few teams have.

Kings by 8.

9. DirtySouth

DirtySouth JBB JustBBall Member

Great Preview, I say kings by 7.

10. MVPlaya

MVPlaya JBB Banned Member

Kings have been playin great basketball.

Take them by 12

11. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

Portland just seem not to be getting it together this season. Sac is very hot w/o Webber. I predict the MVP Canidate Peja to have the upper hand on Sheed tonight. Peja will be at the perimiter most of the time, leaving Sheed in the blocks and it will lead to open jumpers all night for Pej. Im giving it a whirl and saying Kings by 7. Blazers are still talented and can produce the win if they play good perimeter defense.

12. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Accord:</div><div class="quote_post"> They have the opportunity to beat the best team in the league and end their 3 game losing streak</div>

Actually it is a 5-game losing streak [​IMG] . The Blazers have a tendency (over the past couple seasons) to beat the elite and lose to the lottery teams. If this game was in Portland I would have chosen the Blazers, but it is VERY difficult to win at Arco. The have very loyal (and loud) fans.

13. AllBoutDaPacers

AllBoutDaPacers JBB JustBBall Member

Just to avoid being like everyone else, I predict the blazers will win by 3. They are due for a win, and wins come easier when the other team doesn't expect much. Sloppiness will do the Kings in. And just for the record, I don't believe a word that I have written. [​IMG]

14. cArMeLo15

cArMeLo15 JBB JustBBall Member

Kings by 13.

15. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

Nice preview. With great ball movement i'd say Kings win by 13+

16. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

Great preview, Kings by 11. They have too much depth.

17. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

Fantastic preview TB.

I'd say that the Kings are really rolling now, and will win this one in the first quarter. Depending on how they play the rest, they'll win by between 15 and 23 points. Blazers might wake up in the third quarter, but Sacto's calm down the stretch should give them the advan in the 4th.

18. Trail_Blazer76

Partway through the third quarter and the Blazers are up by 7!! That's nothing against the Kings, but it looks hopeful. Everyone is contributed. Sheed and Randolph both in double figures, and DA has 9.

Update: Up 12 with 4:30 in the third!!

19. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

who won? is the game over yet?

20. nikebasketball

nikebasketball JBB JustBBall Member

Mo Cheeks said it best ...
    [​IMG]
    Sheed finished with a double double 26points 15rebounds.

[​IMG] Blazers 109

[​IMG] Kings 104

OVERTIME WIN!!

The Blazers blew a 10 point lead in the 4th!