Blazers: Best offseason of all Westen Conference lottery teams, should be 7th seed

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by KingSpeed, Jul 31, 2013.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Re: Blazers: Best offseason of all Westen Conference lottery teams, should be 7th see

Repped.

2. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Re: Blazers: Best offseason of all Westen Conference lottery teams, should be 7th see

Thats some good research and great stats.

3. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

...but trading LMA for lesser players and a draft pick, while still having Lillard/Batum/Wes, is going to insure the Blazers have one of the worst records in the NBA?

If you don't want to see playoffs for multiple seasons, let alone a 7th seed, then MM's approach is the way to go.

4. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

KingSpeed basically posted the same thing prior in this thread.

5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

If BNM post is correct, that means since 1998-2012, which is the last 15 years of draft picks, there has been ONE top 5 pick that won a title with the team that drafted him. One out of the last 75. That is barely over a 1% probability. That is stunning, possibly the best stats I've ever seen to confirm my feelings that tanking is in general a poor strategy. I thought tanking was better than that, maybe even I had been overvaluing its effectiveness.

6. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Yes, we are just as good as they are

7. Mediocre Man

I look at small market teams and see more times than not, if they are a serious contender it's because of the draft. Drafting higher increases your chance of getting a better player. whether that happens or not is a different story. Our own beloved frailblazers are a great example. Oden, Aldridge, Roy was a great core, and if healthy would probably be the second best team in the league...at worst.

8. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

The Blazers can make the play-offs if everything goes right. When was the last time that happened?

Good teams don't have to rely on good luck and/or opponents' bad luck.

9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant

They do if they play in the NBA Western Conference where there are about 12 teams that are good enough to get into the playoffs.

10. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Actually, I did the research and posted the results in another thread two months ago on May 31.

Even though I knew about Wade, he was the first one that came into my mind, I inadvertently neglected to include him in the tabulated results. Here are those results corrected to include Wade:

How many top 5 picks taken since 1997 (the year Duncan was drafted) have won championships (or better still, how many have been the best player on a championship team)?

Here's the top 5 draft picks over the last 15 years:

1st Pick:
    2012 Anthony Davis
    2011 Kyrie Irving
    2010 John Wall
    2009 Blake Griffin
    2008 Derrick Rose
    2007 Greg Oden
    2006 Andrea Bargnani
    2005 Andrew Bogut
    2004 Dwight Howard
    2003 Lebron James
    2002 Yao Ming
    2001 Kwame Brown
    2000 Kenyon Martin
    1999 Elton Brand
    1998 Michael Olowokandi

2nd Pick:
    2012 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    2011 Derrick Williams
    2010 Evan Turner
    2009 Hasheem Thabeet
    2008 Michael Beasley
    2007 Kevin Durant
    2006 LaMarcus Aldridge
    2005 Marvin Williams
    2004 Emeka Okafor
    2003 Darko Milicic
    2002 Jay Williams
    2001 Tyson Chandler
    2000 Stromile Swift
    1999 Steve Francis
    1998 Mike Bibby

3rd Pick:
    2012 Bradley Beal
    2011 Enes Kanter
    2010 Derrick Favors
    2009 James Harden
    2008 O.J. Mayo
    2007 Al Horford
    2006 Adam Morrison
    2005 Deron Williams
    2004 Ben Gordon
    2003 Carmelo Anthony
    2002 Mike Dunleavy
    2001 Pau Gasol
    2000 Darius Miles
    1999 Baron Davis
    1998 Raef LaFrentz

4th Pick:
    2012 Dion Waiters
    2011 Tristan Thompson
    2010 Wesley Johnson
    2009 Tyreke Evans
    2008 Russell Westbrook
    2007 Mike Conley
    2006 Tyrus Thomas
    2005 Chris Paul
    2004 Shaun Livingston
    2003 Chris Bosh
    2002 Drew Gooden
    2001 Eddy Curry
    2000 Marcus Fizer
    1999 Lamar Odom
    1998 Antawn Jamison

5th Pick:
    2012 Thomas Robinson
    2011 Jonas Valanciunas
    2010 DeMarcus Cousins
    2009 Ricky Rubio
    2008 Kevin Love
    2007 Jeff Green
    2006 Shelden Williams
    2005 Raymond Felton
    2004 Devin Harris
    2003 Dwyane Wade
    2002 Nickoloz Tskitishvili
    2001 Jason Richardson
    2000 Mike Miller
    1999 Jonathan Bender
    1998 Vince Carter

That's really quite shocking. In the last 15 drafts, one No. 1 pick, one No. 2 pick, two No. 3 picks, two No. 4 picks and two No. 5 picks have won an NBA championship, and of those, only LeBron and Wade (the first time) were the best players on their championship teams. In fact, Wade is the only player drafted top 5 in the last 15 years has won a championship for the team that drafted him. And, of the 8 total top five picks that have won rings, 4 of them (LeBron, Wade, Bosh and Mike Miller) had to combine forces to get their rings. Still think years of suckage and high lottery picks is the best way to win an NBA title?

P.S. What's really scary is Adam Morrison is the last top 5 pick to win a championship - as a seldom used scrub for a team that didn't draft him.

BTW, even if you go back 20 or 25 years, it only gets marginally better with guys like Shaq (not with the team that drafted him) and David Robinson that won rings. You really need to go back to the late 70s and early 80s before you see a significant number of top 5 draft picks (Hakeem, Jordan, Magic, Worthy, etc.) that won rings with the teams that drafted them. Of course, player movement as MUCH less common back then. The top players tended to play all, or at least most, of their careers with the team that drafted them.

Based on this historical data, I think the notion that the best way a small market team can win a ring is to deliberately suck and hope to build through high lottery picks is incorrect. The data just does not support that hypotheses.

BNM

HailBlazers likes this.
  11. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Interesting data, but not all that surprising. I mean, when you take into account that only - what, 8? - teams have won championships in the past 30 years it really kinda takes the wind out of those sails. Also, when you consider that some teams have been poorly run for decades on end it should come as no surprise that, despite having high draft picks, they aren't able to turn their fortunes around - some of the best young talent goes to teams that are incapable of fielding a competitive team (from Owner down through the Bench).
    So I think it's a bit disingenuous to use this data to refute the idea that a team can build through the draft. As long as you have a competent front office, higher draft picks (not necessarily the #1) will go further in helping you build a competitive team - especially when the team is in a small market and can't rely on landing top tier free agents. Maybe those draft picks won't directly lead you to a championship, but they give you more value to make better moves down the road.

12. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

You can build through the draft. The point seems to me to be that getting high lottery picks doesn't guarantee success, and looking at teams like Indy and San Antonio, that drafting the right players, regardless of where you pick, is more important. Sure, Duncan was a #1 pick, but Parker was late first-round, and Ginobli was 2nd-round and didn't come over right away to the NBA.

Trading All-Stars for scrubs and draft picks doesn't guarantee anything other than you need to immediately replace an All-Star.

13. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I agree with PapaG on this one. We already have two, really, really good players that were acquired with high lottery picks. One is a multiple time all star in his prime (just turned 28) and the other just won rookie of the year. What's the point of trading your best player for more lottery picks in the hope that you may get someone who will turn out as good several years down the road? Giving away your best player for scrubs and future lottery picks seems like several steps backwards with the hope that after 3 or 4 more years of losing you may get back to where you are now. I know the goal is to get better - long term, but there is no guarantee and the data shows the opposite is more likely true, for a variety of reasons (poor drafting, bad luck, injuries, etc.). So, if we capitulate and trade Aldridge, go into total tank mode for the next 3 or 4 years, at that point Lillard will probably grow tired of the losing and we'll be looking at once again losing our best player and starting over.

I think the whole losing deliberately to get better strategy is a complete fallacy. History shows it rarely, if ever works.

I really believe we have what it takes to make the playoffs this year. Last year, in spite of no interior defense and the worst bench in the entire history of the NBA, we were 3 games under .500 and still in the running for the 8th seed with a month to go in the season. Our GM has addressed our biggest weaknesses, we now have a legitimate 7' NBA starting center who will vastly improve our interior defense and our bench will be WAY better. Our GM did a good job of infusing our bench with a combination of veterans (Wright and Watson) and young talent (Robinson, McCollum). Plus, 6 of the guys (Lillard, Leonard, Freeland, Claver, Barton and Robinson) who will likely be in our top 10 in minutes were rookies last season. They are bound to show some improvement.

At the very least, we need to let this team play half a season together to see where they are at and what we are missing. To me, it makes ZERO sense to trade Aldridge now. He's under contract for two more full seasons. I think if we are winning more games than we are losing, and make the playoffs, that will be enough forward progress to keep him from demanding a trade for at least another year. The goal should be to get better, year by year. Winning and getting better is enough to keep most players happy.

BNM

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  14. Mediocre Man

Question for you. which team has a better chance of winning

Aldridge, Parker and Ginobili

or

Duncan, Lillard, Batum

Star players win in this league, and the chances of getting one in the top 5 is much greater than getting in the bottom 5

It's not 100%, as teams like Indiana, and the Kings have demonstrated, but it's close.

of the list, that was provided, most of those players made their teams a lot better. It's not their fault that management couldn't complete the build, or they were injured.

15. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

BNM, S2 won't let me rep you again. But I love data. I'm a data geek. Thanks for posting.

16. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor

I've been saying this for the last couple years. The only top 3 pick (meaning you won the lottery) since Duncan (drafted in 1997) to win a title with the team that drafted him is Darko Milicic. That is it. So glad that people are finally paying attention to this.

17. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor

You forgot Darko.

18. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case

Duncan has won titles with the spurs.

19. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor

Everyone knows that. The point is that SINCE DUNCAN, who was drafted 16 years ago, only 1 top 3 pick has won a title for the team that drafted him. Darko Milicic. That is it. 1 out of 48. And he was just a bench warmer.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  20. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case

The crappy teams tend to get those picks, while the teams with Shaq, Duncan, and Kobe have hogged a lot of the titles.