Blazers don't need another "star"

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Feb 9, 2016.

1. 0-Our!

0-Our! Noob-ish

I mostly agree:wink: I believe you need both to win a title.

W/ Steph (+ that Klay guy & others) w/o Green, a very good team that makes the playoffs.

W/ Green (+ that Klay guy & others) w/o Steph, a very good team that makes the playoffs that wins a few more games.

W/ both (+ that Klay guy & others)... a practically unstoppable juggernaut that destroys just about everything in it's path:smiley-violence:

ps Green's existence helps Steph in getting his stats/lets Steph b Steph & a bit vise versa

2. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    It should be noted that Golden State went from being knocked out in the first round to champs in one year without adding a star. Their roster was basically the same. Maybe we can grow from within like they did.

Chris Craig likes this.
  3. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

They were good enough to win a playoff round that first year; had an injury to Bogut and Ezeli; Draymond wasn't in the rotation yet. Yeah they had internal improvement; but they also had better health; and a much better coach. I don't think a coaching change will help as much with us because Stotts is much better than Mark Jackson. We have been very healthy this year on average we will have worse health.

We aren't playing near as well as that Golden State team that lost in the first round. But we might have more room to improve from within with a younger roster than they had. We have more salary flexibility to add a piece. I like our position but of course its so unlikely to follow the historical improvements a once in a decade team was able to make.

4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

If Dame becomes an MVP-caliber player like Curry did, then sure.

5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I think Steph helps Green more than Green helps Steph. Green is so lethal creating offense with the ball because the defense is loading up on Steph. We kind of run similar stuff with Plumlee at the top of the key creating when Dame gets trapped. Its much easier to create offense when its basically 4 on 3. They are also constantly running Curry off baseline screens and the whole defense is watching him taking their eyes off Green. Green would still be productive but nothing like we see now. He'd be a fine player.

Steph is accomplishing feats we've never seen in the history of basketball. Green is unique but we have seen other unique versatile players such as Boris Diaw and Shawn Marion have similar beneficial impacts to title winning teams. Green is better than them; but a somewhat similar role. LeBron is much better than Green and can do everything Green can do on offense, defense, with the ball and without it. You can't find a player to say that about with Steph.

0-Our! likes this.
  6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the top half of the lottery is that much better seeing that all the top players tend to be home run potential picks. (i.e D'Angelo Russell, Embiid) Most are based on potential and one year of college.

Lets look at the top 5 picks of the last 6 drafts. That is 30 top players. I count about 8 who could be allstars. Not bad, but zero of those 30 are elite enough that it guarantees a bad team to be a contender. Again I get that you need to build through the draft, but it sure does not convince me we would be better off tanking for multiple years, because the only way to assure you are at the top of the draft for numerous years is if you move your best players. (i.e Dame) I think Vonleh has about the same chance of being a potential all star than the top 5 in the last 6 drafts. Which is not really saying much.

Towns,
    Russell
    Okafor
    Porzingis
    Hezanja

1. Andrew Wiggins, Kansas Cleveland
    2. Jabari Parker, Duke Milwaukee
    3. Joel Embiid#, Kansas Philadelphia
    4. Aaron Gordon, Arizona Orlando
    5. Dante Exum

Bennett, Oladipo, Porter, Zeller, Len

1 NOH Anthony Davis University of Kentucky
    2 CHA Michael Kidd-Gilchrist University of Kentucky
    3 WAS Bradley Beal University of Florida
    4 CLE Dion Waiters Syracuse University
    5 SAC Thomas Robinson University of Kansas

1 CLE Kyrie Irving Duke
    2 MIN Derrick Williams Arizona
    3 UTA Enes Kanter Turkey
    4 CLE Tristan Thompson Texas
    5 TOR Jonas Valanciunas Lithuania

1 WAS John Wall Kentucky
    2 PHI Evan Turner Ohio State
    3 NJN Derrick Favors Georgia Tech
    4 MIN Wesley Johnson Syracuse
    5 SAC DeMarcus Cousins Kentucky

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

No we dont

8. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

To win a championship? Yes we do.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    To win a championship, the Blazers need a front court All-Star. If Vonleh can become that player, then I'd agree that the Blazers are set. He's certainly made strides this year, and his defense was great last night, but he's still got a lot of growing to do.

10. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Tim Duncan to the phone. Phone call for Tim Duncan.

Strenuus likes this.