Notice Blazers draft Greg Brown!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Jul 29, 2021.

1. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

I think Brown would fit well in the current starting unit taking Elleby's spot. Eubanks isn't a scorer or the rebounder that Nurkic was (by a long shot) and Brown can help make up for some of what we lost.

2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

yeah few people have mentioned that idea.

I say give Elleby 5 more starts before making a permanent switch. Right now it feels like Elleby and Hughes are fighting for one spot next season (btw both would be eligible for a two way next season) so I think Hughes should be next for a more extended look. Brown can continue getting more and more minutes even if he’s not technically starting.

3. blazerfan11

If you can, add the clip where he stopped Jordan Poole from scoring on a fast break with 3:12 left in the first quarter. That was impressive to be able to contest that shot without fouling. Brown is already as good as anyone at contesting such a shot because of his speed, hops, and length.

RR7 likes this.
  4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

blazerfan11 and RR7 like this.
  5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

The other nice defensive play was the one that led to his dunk. He gets so high to challenge this shot, maybe even got a piece of it. But he’s an athletic freak.

blazerfan11, TBpup and HailBlazers like this.
  6. blazerfan11

At 0:55 in this "all possessions" video, Brown hits a catch-and-shoot mid-range 2-pointer. Nice form showing he isn't limited to dunks and 3-point attempts.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

In his last four games Jerami Grant has 7 rebounds TOTAL while averaging 30+ minutes. On the season he’s averaging 4 boards per game, 1 block, and 1 steal. He’s averaging 19 points but is only shooting 41% from the field and 33% from three.

Brown averages over 8 boards/36. Grant has never averaged more than 7 per/36.

Some other /36 splits on Grant for his career:

SPG:
    0.9 (Brown is at 1.5)
    BPG:
    1.5 (Brown is at 1.8)

The only advantage I see is shooting, but he’s still average at best (career 34% 3PT) in that department. This is starting to sound like Myles/Nurk debate just not as obvious since Brown is still raw.

I was pro Grant, but was always against giving up a lotto pick for him. Now I’m not sure I’d give up any first rounder for him. I know Dame wants to play with him but honestly, who gives a shit anymore lol. Him leaving isn’t the threat it was last summer, or even earlier in the season. Hope Cronin is smarter than some other executives that allow players to act as de facto GMs.

Would love to see Brown get 20+ minutes the rest of the season and see where he ends up.

blazerfan11, AmirIcon and GoBlazersGo like this.
  8. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Brown reminds me of both Outlaws: physically he's like both; he has Travis's sunny disposition; he has Bo's offensive ineptitude. He'll be solid if he ever learns how to play.

(What IS "Hedgehog Fam" BTW?)

9. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

He has more high-flying sports center highlights in that one game than most players have in one season.

Scalma likes this.
  10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

We really need brown (and watford to a lesser degree) to stay relatively healthy the rest of the season, not only for developmental reasons, but evaluation for next season. For example I would feel pretty comfortable with Winslow as the starting four if I knew one, or both, of these two show to be ready for rotational minutes. Never thought Brown would be in the discussion for at least two years, but he really is showing improvement seemingly on a game by game basis. When you mix work ethic with the natural ability he has, good things usually happen.

TBpup likes this.