Blazers’ G leaguers

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
  2. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I'm BACK. I just CANNOT stay away from the G-League. Apologies to everyone I have ever offended.

I should have just said politely, "Aw, shut the fuck up."

BonesJones, riverman and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Baldwin tonight: 30 points (9-13 shooting, 4-6 from three) 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal, only 2 turnovers, and his typical suffocating defense. He’s also back playing PG since the other one they were experimenting with got injured at the showcase.

I’m ready to see him in Portland.

dviss1, TBpup, PtldPlatypus and 2 others like this.
  4. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Thanks. I needed to hear something positive.

rotary111 likes this.
  5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

dviss1 and rotary111 like this.
  6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Suffocating D? Is that true? How athletic is he? I see he has a 6'11" wing....that can't hurt

dviss1 and TBpup like this.
  7. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Revenge game against the MEM G League affiliate.

I know Baldwin shot like ass last year, but it's surprising MEM gave up on him so quickly after drafting him with the 17th pick. That's only three spots removed from the lottery. Teams don't usually give up on players taken that high so quickly.

BNM

dviss1, BonesJones and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I’ve watched every game he’s played this year, and I’m pretty sure he’s been a positive defensively in every single one of them. And the g league isn’t exactly known for defense. He’s long and uses his feet well. Almost never reaches. Think Napier’s mentality but with an ideal physical profile. I want to see what Vanterpool could do with him.

9. Boob-No-More

Do you view him as a possible Shabazz replacement? We probably can't afford to keep Shabazz and he certainly has significant trade value based on the way he's played. If we do trade him, do you think Baldwin can effectively fill his role as backup PG/third guard?

Or, thinking out of the box, could he possibly be a C.J. replacement? Not a direct replacement, but if we trade C.J. for some mythical stud 3 & D SF, can we run with a Lillard/Baldwin starting backcourt. The idea being Lillard plays off the ball more on offense (hopefully increasing his shooting percentages as he'd have more high percentage catch and shoot opportunities) and Baldwin guards that other teams' SG. Baldwin has the length to guard most SG's, but does he have the strength.

Remember Dame's rookie year, when POR acquired Eric Maynor at the traded deadline? Neil raved about how well Dame shot the ball after the trade because it allowed him to play off the ball more. Well he did shoot .467 3FG% in March of that year, but that's a very limited sample size (42 - 90). Of course, after the season, we let Maynor walk for nothing, so Neil must not have been too enamored with him. I wondering if he's grooming Baldwin to play next to Lillard in case he gets an offer he can't refuse for C.J.

Although similar in height, Baldwin has a 9" wingspan advantage and a 3" standing reach advantage over Maynor. Clearly he has the potential to be a much better defender than Maynor (or C.J.), but what about his offense? He shot the ball horribly last year in MEM (.313 FG%, .136 3FG%). He seems to have no trouble scoring in the G League, but as you mentioned, nobody really plays defense.

Can Baldwin be enough of a scoring threat to be a starting PG in the NBA? If not, his ceiling will be a poor man's (VERY poor) Ricky Rubio. A pass first PG who plays solid defense, but can't hit a shot if his life depended on it. In today's NBA, you need to make the defense respect the guy with the ball in his hands.

Would Baldwin/Lillard/Stud (or near stud) SF be better than Lillard/McCollum/Turner?

BNM

TBpup likes this.
  10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah I think he could replace Napier. I’m not saying he’s as good, at least not as a shooter, but he’s more than capable imo. Most backup points aren’t as good as Napier anyway.

As far as starting or playing heavy minutes next to Dame/CJ; I guess it depends on his jumper. I don’t think he’s like Rubio where it’s an area he’s just always going to be poor at. If you look at his college numbers, it suggested a guy that could shoot. I like his pull up midrange game. His outside shooting has not been there since coming into the league, but I’ve noticed most of his struggles are off the dribble. That’s probably something that can be coached up.

11. Boob-No-More

He shot the 3 well in college. So, there is hope. Most rookies take a while to adjust to the longer/quicker defenders and greater 3-point distance in the NBA. Which, again, makes me surprised MEM gave up on him so quickly.

BNM

Scalma and rotary111 like this.
  12. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

He was an odd fit for Memphis to begin with. Theyve been one of the slowest paced teams in the league, even last year under Fizdale, while Baldwin fits a more up tempo offense. Portland has been more middle of the pack, but I think if Terry had it his way, they’d be higher on that list.

rotary111 likes this.
  13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Swanigan today: 18 points (7-9 shooting) 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover. I didn’t watch the game but that’s an encouraging line. He also started his third straight game at center.

Highlights:

dviss1, HailBlazers and Wizard Mentor like this.
  14. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I am quite sure that this is a confidence issue. Once he gets comfortable, he'll be fine. Besides, it's not like I don't see a lot of open 3s taken by both the Blazer's opponents and the Blazers themselves.

15. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I have been tracking this thread from the beginning, and the net result is that I am excited by both Swanigan and Baldwin, and can easily see them as rotation players for us.

16. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Yes, I'm convinced that Biggie can play in this league. He'll have some trouble getting shots off, but the guy has a great motor. He just needs an opportunity.

17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Swanigan tonight: 13 points (5-10 shooting) 13 rebounds in 25 minutes and won the game with a buzzer beater that was all hustle.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    HailBlazers and SlyPokerDog like this.
  18. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

19. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I like B4's confidence and clutch factor hitting shots at the end of two quarters. Also really like his length and passing ability. Throw in some D to go with that length.....and he'll never play for Stotts.

20. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

It looks like IV had a good game again tonight.
    Biggie's was only so-so.

I would really like Portland to take a look at Christian Woods though. I think he can play....