Blazers Give Sharpe a Promise?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Jun 21, 2022.

1. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I'd like to see how Chauncey manages expectations for young players when there are clearly better players in front of them.

2. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

You and I seem to have the same confidence in Chauncey. I think Sharpe could really thrive here under Chauncey and Dame.

He’s going to be able to get on the floor if he can be a defensive impact early or shoots the ball well. At best, he’s a Duncan Robinson kind of player that won’t ever see crunch time during his first year, at worst, he doesn’t play at all.

Billups should develop him into a point forward, encourage him to make plays for others right away. If he can shoot the ball at a decent clip and move the ball well, you have to get him 10-15mpg even if he’s terrible defensively. He’ll need enough court time to develop sooner.

Defensively, there are plenty of guys his size like Booker, Derozan, etc that he’ll be able to guard. I don’t have any concerns there, just hope we’re good enough for him to get some court time and learn from defensive mistakes.

Hoping to see plenty of lobs between Ant, Nas, and Sharpe if we draft Sharpe.

glazeduck likes this.
  3. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

I agree, and have never heard what the reasoning was for Sharpe being out. Has anyone?

4. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

How is "competitive drive" and "maniacal drive to work hard and improve" any different? You just used different words to reiterate what I was saying.

I wasn't aware that Sharpe only arrived at Kentucky in January. So, the question changes to, why did he join the team so late?

Here's another way of getting at the gist of my concern with him... Skal was considered to have similar upside going into college, but his stock plummeted when people saw firsthand how far he was from a finished product. He never came close to living up to those early expectations. In a sense, the one-and-done era came about to protect teams from making mistakes exactly like Sharpe is a 50/50 likelihood of.

5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

He graduated HS early after reclassifying. He was supposed to join UK this summer and be in next yr's draft.

Natebishop3, Eastoff and handiman like this.
  6. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    He knew.

HailBlazers likes this.
  7. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

He definitely knew it wouldn't be Indy.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  8. glazeduck

glazeduck Well-Known Member

It's funny to me that the ones who are afraid of this pick just completely ignore any and all logical points that those who are excited about it provide, yet I've not seen ONE single poster who's excited about Sharpe not willingly admit that he has the capacity within him to bust.

Literally NO ONE is saying he's not a risk. We get it, you're afraid we wasted a lottery pick, point taken. The unfortunate reality is that every prospect at 7 had some concerns... Daniels is a work in progress offensively, Sochan may never be an offensive weapon, Duren is raw and somewhat undersized for the position, Dieng is basically a rawer/PF-version of Sharpe, Davis and Agbaji have basically no upside, don't get me started on Williams and Griffin...

You know what the Sharpe pick is? It's a bet on Chauncey and staff's ability to develop and Dame's ability to lead and Ant's ability to mentor a kid whos in an almost identical situation. It's a bet on the foundation and culture that we have in place. Yes, given Cronin's less than perfect track record, and our iffy ownership situation, that feels a little scary. But if you trust Dame, and you buy that what we've seen from Chauncey so far is the real deal, Sharpe seems like better than 50/50 chance to develop nicely. And if he does, he could be a star.

9. illmatic99

he said in his post-draft interview that he had no clue.

10. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

He, or whoever handed him the hats knew it wouldn't be Indy.

11. illmatic99

i think they lost the indy hat during the photoshoot. none of the prospects held an indy hat

RR7 likes this.
  12. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Well lucky for Chauncey he coaches the Blazers where this isn't an issue.

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

See how he handled Trendon Watford and the progress that undrafted young man made from a 2 way contract to a roster spot...that's player development and I think coaches Rogers and Curry are really really good development coaches. Coach Eddie works with the rookies a lot and Rogers is a defensive drill sergeant .

ehizzy3 likes this.