Blazers have 10 wins in 13 games!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by swish3, Nov 13, 2018.

1. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

The Blazers have achieved 10 wins in 13 games, which is a win percentage of 76.9. That is a 63 win season projection if we can stay with it. The combination of better offense and energetic defense are notable in recent games, with assists and communication on defense that is importantly improved.

Being a fan of Meyers, I note that this is the same percentage which Meyers achieved in swish3 shooting in intense playoff games that earned him the 76.9% shooting percentage record for all NBA players. This is better than Dame, CJ, Steph Curry, Klay, Kyle Korver, or in fact any NBA player! What I imagine is possible is to continue with the multiple threat 3 point scoring with Dame, CJ, Chief, Jake, Nik, and Zach, but to increase the role of Meyers as the NBA leading shooter by adding plays with passes to Meyers beyond the arc to shoot at least 6 (more if he has the hot hand) to capitalize on that talent for 20-30 points per game. With the combination of swish3s, slam dunks, and excellent free throw shooting (now 13 of 13), Meyers can be a major offensive power that the Blazers should rely on. Nurk and Meyers alternating at center can produce winning margins as recent games have shown.

The new offensive strategy with Meyers making a handoff assist/screen combination has given open shots and increased scoring for Dame, CJ, Nik, Evan, Zach, and Jake. Meyers is moving actively and well without the ball, and often is open in the corners or beyond the line, and his shooting is better from swish3 range than from mid range. Meyers is doing excellent screening, altering opponent's shots, and taking charges. His foul rate is decreased, especially when the refs call them according to the rules. With his improved rebounding and defense, Meyers is contributing to the Blazers winning bench. The Blazers can excel when Meyers and all teammates are contributing the best talent of each.

This season can continue with the championship level of wins if the Blazers can continue to get the best play from Nurk, Meyers, Zach, Dame, CJ, Chief, Evan, Jake, Nik, and Seth giving a consistent game flow with starters and bench. I imagine an increased role for Meyers that his potential for league leading scoring can mean in accomplishing a championship season this year. I think this is the year!

dviss1, Labinot41, BlazerBeav and 3 others like this.
  2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Question: How many minutes a game do you think he should play?

3. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

Meyers is currently at about 18 min per game, which is enough time for making 6 swish3 attempts at the rate that most Blazers are shooting them. If he makes 3 or more of the 6, increasing to 22 or more min would make for potent scoring. Meyers min will also be dependent on how well Nurk is playing. I think Nurk does best when he plays about 24-28 min.

4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Hahahahahahahahahaha. It's so good.

5. BonesJones

Okay, now explain to me how you expect Meyers (Slow, set shooter that needs a pass to shoot, and is scared to shoot with anyone within 10ft of him) to shoot Swish3 attempts at a higher rate THAN Steph Curry (Best shooter ever, lightning quick release, can shoot any shot off the dribble or catch, from out to 30ft).

I'm curious.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Strenuus likes this.
  6. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    7 foot vs 6 foot 3...?

BlazerBeav and tlongII like this.
  7. BonesJones

Lol.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  8. BonesJones

By the time the ball reaches Meyers shooting pocket, Currys is already halfway to the rim.

9. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I hope he responds to this.

10. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Is this counting the eternity where Meyers wonders to himself if he should shoot it or not?

stampedehero and Strenuus like this.
  11. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Meyers has played “better” this year which isnt saying much. You can tell he puts in the work so Ill give him credit.
    I just think at 7 years in the fact were happy he’s only a liability sometimes is a little scary. I dont want to dogpile even more on ML, but were talking like this is his best year and he’s averaging 4.8 points and 4 boards.
    I am glad he’s doing better this year and the bench is good!

12. BonesJones

No, if we counted that, Currys ball would already be inbounded by the other team.

13. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

i see Meyers open at about 3 min intervals which is enough. He doesn't need more than open shot because of his outstanding accuracy. Yes his shot is slower than Steph's, but in those intense playoff games and many since he needed only a few feet of separation and a good look at the basket for a swish3 score.

The issue is not the time it is the demonstrated capability for 76.9% swish3 shooting. This is a deliberate shot that Meyers knows when to shoot. Instead of questioning the confidence or thought process of Meyers, the Blazers should be encouraging him to be looking to 20+ point scoring and continued winning.

14. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Seriously... The whole freaking team like begs him to shoot and he still stands there like a stone troll wondering what he should do with the orange orb that landed in his hands. I cheer for ML, he’s a Blazer and I want him to be successful but come on...

BonesJones and Strenuus like this.
  15. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Hey @swish3 will you come next time we get tickets to a game?

SlyPokerDog and Strenuus like this.
  16. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

Just feed Meyers the ball when he gets open, which is often with his high energy off ball movement, and enjoy the swish3s scoring power. And feed him the swish2 dunks. And enjoy the accurate FT shooting. Meyers appears to be doing more high quality effective screens than anyone else. The Blazers are playing well with him in the game which shows in his +/- ratings.

stampedehero and SlyPokerDog like this.
  17. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

The term is already coined dunk2s not swish2 dunks.
    You coined it previously.

18. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

OK. Swish2 dunks is carried over from a BNM comment, but thanks for reminding me about dunk2s. They are high power scoring weapons that work well to complement swish3s.

Boob-No-More and SlyPokerDog like this.
  19. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

If only he could get to the line more and display his swish1 prowess.

stampedehero likes this.
  20. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

Yes, but that is happening, and Meyers is 13 of 13 for the season. Now that he is getting some foul calls, more swish1s can be expected.

3RA1N1AC likes this.