Blazers Have To Get Physical

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">TUALATIN -- Don't expect the Trail Blazers to join the NBA trend of pushing the tempo and spreading the floor this season. Instead, Blazers coach Nate McMillan said fans should prepare to watch a big, bruising Blazers team that will concentrate on halfcourt execution.

"We are a totally different team than we were last year," McMillan said. "And the style of play I wanted to play last year, I think we have to change it somewhat this year."

Last season, McMillan wanted to create a system in which pressure defense could help create turnovers and, thus, fast-break opportunities. The fullcourt pressure rarely materialized, preventing many fast-break opportunities.

Now, with a drastically different roster -- with only seven returners -- McMillan said becoming a pressure-oriented and/or an uptempo team is unrealistic.

"I don't know if we are going to be capable of running like I would like to," McMillan said. "I think if you have the bigs we have currently, then we have to be a team that will pound you and be good in halfcourt execution. And defensively, I think we should be a physical team."

That style of play goes against the league's growing trend of offenses that spread the floor and shoot quickly, such as the Phoenix Suns and Dallas Mavericks featured in the Western Conference finals last season.

In recent years, the NBA's Eastern Conference has featured more physical, halfcourt-oriented teams, such as Detroit, Miami and Chicago, and McMillan acknowledged that the Blazers could be a rare team in the West.

"Most teams in the West are up and down," McMillan said. "We will be somewhat different in the sense that we will have to use the fact we are big."

Roy at the point: McMillan said he will look to use rookie Brandon Roy some at point guard this season, primarily because the position is dangerously thin in both experience and health.

McMillan said Jarrett Jack, in his second season, will be the starter, but McMillan is unsure what he has in rookie Sergio Rodriguez and newly acquired Dan Dickau, who is coming off a major Achilles' heel injury. </div>

Source