Zombie Blazers Interested in Amare Stoudemire

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fawzi83, Feb 7, 2009.

1. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    I doubt it'd take much convincing, if Raef is involved.

2. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now

It probably wouldn't happen over the course of a whole season (up until the deadline), let alone in just under two weeks, but here's what I think the Suns should do:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  3. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

at this point jefferson would be a downgrade from outlaw

4. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Care to explain why?

5. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

The trouble is, Travis is basically a power forward at this point, Jefferson is clearly a small forward. We should be asking ourselves if he'd be more productive than Batum and Martell in the short run (the next couple of years) and is he movable after that if Batum matures into the starter I think he'll be. For me the answer is unequivocally yes, but if we are trading for Jefferson, I want Sessions included in the deal to pull the trigger.

Sessions/Bayless (with Jay-bay as our super sub, sixth man or maybe eventually the starter)
    Roy/Rudy
    Jefferson/Batum/Webster(?)
    Aldridge/(?)
    Oden/Przy

Championship contender in a couple of years? Maybe, maybe not :dunno:

6. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

he's having a bad year and appears to be seriously declining.

7. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

i would like to see what martell can do at SF before settling for someone who might not improve us at all.

also as i said in the other thread sessions is not better than blake.

8. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Well, if he was having an up year, we wouldn't be able to get him on the cheap.

He's not really having a bad year though, if you look at his numbers: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jefferi01.html, he's always been around the 18 ppg range anyways, perfect as the second or third option guy, and except for this year, he's been shooting consistently around 45%, better than Outlaw. Plus, he's a decent three point shooter as well, like Outlaw. The biggest difference is his slashing skills and ability to draw fouls and convert free throws, something Travis is pretty bad at. In RJ, I see the third option behind Roy and LMA, and the guy that holds the starting position warm for Batum or Webster.

Oh, and at 28, I highly doubt he's declining. Especially since extreme athleticism isn't what he's built his game around. He's just having a down year on a messed up team. Lots of players have down years, doesn't mean they are any worse than they were before. (Mostly)

9. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I'd much rather have Jefferson over Stoudemire.

I think if Stoudemire is involved in a trade, and it includes the Blazers, it's only as the 3rd team in the scenario.

Maybe the Suns want some expiring contracts, or picks? Throw them Raef, Outlaw and Sergio and maybe include a pick or two. Then we get whatever the 3rd team is offering up in the trade scenario (probably to Portland, or at least, partly to Portland) and they get Amare.

10. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Blake is having a career year in which he's about average for a starter. Sessions' PER (both this year and last) is still higher than Blake's this year, and Sessions is only 22 so may improve significantly. Right this moment, Sessions is probably only a little bit better than Blake, but he's definitely the significantly more valuable asset going forward.

I don't know about Sessions' defense, but Blake's defense is quite poor, so I doubt Sessions is hurt, in this comparison, by defense.

11. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

their game's are completely different. Sessions is actually able to get into the lane, whereas Blake has pretty much settled into a Steve Kerr (hit the open three on kickouts) role playing alongside Brandon. I don't really feel like arguing over it, I guess I'll just have to say I respectfully disagree.

12. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

for him he obviously is. yes it might an aberration rather than decline, but i think the risk isn't worth giving up our cap space and giving up on webster.

13. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I follow Sessions a lot, and his defense is really nothing to write home about. He's probably as good as Blake, and better than Sergio. Nothing special, but as a 22 year old, he has room to grow.

What I REALLY like about him though, is that he has amazing court vision. He finds people you wouldn't expect him to find. I wouldn't say he's Paul good (yet :devilwink:), but I liken him to Sergio in that regard. However, he has a better jump shot than Sergio and is a better finisher, although he too can take a few bad shots at times. He drives the lane and gets free throws, so he's kind of like a combo between Sergio/Bayless....which is strange to think about.

14. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Well, if you'd chose to look at his stats you'd see that they're barely down. Is he having a worse year? Definately, but you also have to consider the circumstances that he's been put in, in Milwaukee. He's asked to be the first option because Michael Redd was injured for most of the first half, and is now out for the season, and he's clearly uncomfortable in that role. He'd be the third option in Portland.

He's not declining, he's 28. Get a grip. We're buying low because that team is screwed for the season.

Oh and Milwaukee fans seem content on letting him go for just RLEC and a pick, so you don't have to trade Webster.

15. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

we already have a PG with potential who can get into the lane but is shaky from range, and he's only 20. right now the blazers needs outside shooting more than penetration.

which is fine if we are stockpiling assets for later trades, but otherwise i don't see the point.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  16. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

prior to this year he was career .475 shooter, for the year .422. also current PER 13.9 which is pretty dismal, and has a career low TS%. it's a little more than barely.

he is. your hypothesis is it's only due to lack of interest/effort, but you don't know that for a fact and that's a chance you're taking trading for him.

which should tell you something about the value of his contributions this year.

but you do have to cut webster's minutes significantly (and batum's completely).

17. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

He's in a screwed up Milwaukee team that's trying to make him the first option.

Of course, but that's why it's a risk. Earlier in the year, would you have said trading for Iguodala would be a bad idea because he was having a significantly down season? (He's picked it up now)

It's more that he's being paid a lot and the Bucks aren't going to make the offseason anymore because of all the injuries.

He's here for two more years. Like I said, he's keeping the starting position warm.

Plus you could trade Webster/Batum for something else if you felt the need.

18. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

I'd give up anyone on our roster except Roy for Amare... but probably wouldnt have to give up Greg or Aldridge to get him due to the importance of Raef's contract.

Sergio or Outlaw, draft pick, Raef for Amare? probably not enough.

19. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Amare does not come across as a good team guy and Roy and Aldridge are developing a solid chemistry between the two . . . it would be a msitake to break those two up. But if the Suns are looking to trim salary, Blazers have their answer . . . three way deal?

I would think Calderon, but the one thing the raptors don't need is a PF. Rondo with Amare going to the Celtics . . . how scary would that be?

20. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

:confused: