Notice Blazers, Kings Should Avoid Jusuf Nurkic

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, May 11, 2018.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The article is a Blazers edge plant to lower his value.......sign Nurk...why they are concerned about the Kings is a bit baffling

Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I love the logic that says Nurkic gets played off the floor by more mobile centers, but Collins gets eaten alive by physical centers. Why can't the mobile Collins play slower-footed centers off the floor, or Nurkic eat less physical centers alive? Is it just assumed that neither Nurkic nor Collins are capable of improving their offensive abilities to the point where they can create mismatch problems for opponents?

3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Replace "bold" with "stupid". And then delete "toes the line".

4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Weren't you the one who said Crabbe was untradeable without throwing in a 1st?

Like I alluded to in the other post, if Paul likes Nurk then Paul will match to keep Nurk, just like he has done in the past for players that were not even as important as Nurk. He has no history of ever losing a starting player because of money. Never say never, but I highly doubt it will happen with Nurk.

5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I agree, if we don't sign Nurkic we should avoid him. He is very big and will be very angry.

His father too.

e_blazer likes this.
  6. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
  7. AFully22

AFully22 Well-Known Member

Nurk couldn’t create mismatch problems for smaller centers because he is way too inefficient in the post, which you’re saying he will improve on I get it. But Nurkic will have to get a whole lot better in the post for it to be worth keeping him on the floor against smaller centers because just dumping it in to him against a smaller center doesn’t have the same affect on an offense as a mobile center being able to dribble drive past Nurk or make him tightly guard around the perimeter. The mobile 5 opens up more for the offense and unless Nurk demands double teams in the post and he can find the open teammates then you’re just taking away the two best players on the team in favor of Nurk post ups, which opposing teams would love.

Teams having been going small, especially in the playoffs, for years there’s a reason why teams haven’t had huge success staying big. It doesn’t have the same cumulative affect. Collins on the other hand I see no reason why he can’t play the 4 and 5 like AD, and I’m not saying he’s AD, his strength and weight can just get to that level pretty easy.

UKRAINEFAN and BBert like this.
  8. 1eyejack

1eyejack Active Member

I think we have to attach this years pick to Leonard and ship him off.

9. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Nope, wasn't me. I just said that Olshey should have let him go when he got the giant offer from New Joisey, just like Boston never considered counteroffering us about Evan Turner.

Nowadays, some on this board have too-fond memories of Crabbe. He was an average 2nd-round pick. Stotts' system inflates certain stats, like guards' shots (and thus forwards' rebounds).

BBert likes this.
  10. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    The silver lining of Nurk's playoffs performance.

11. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

OK my bad I am getting you confused with someone else. But the point remains PA does not like to let his FA's be stolen away. Crabbe is a great example, as you say an average 2nd round pick.......yet he still matched. You think he won't for Nurk?

BonesJones likes this.
  12. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I don't doubt that Olshey will spend every penny to overpay everyone. What I doubt is that he will spend wisely, without painting himself into an even smaller corner than he already has.

He has no talent at 1) negotiating money, 2) negotiating trades, or 3) evaluating free agents. He has some (average for an NBA GM) talent at evaluating draft picks and coaches.

He hides his mediocrity by doing nothing, year after year, staying invisible (except for emerging from the woodwork to talk a good game to reporters).

Gronk Brady likes this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

when you work for Paul Allen, you never need to negotiate money...when that starts happening, Paul will have fired him....Paul is the alpha dog here...who knows? Maybe Paul needed to lose money for a stretch anyway for a tax write off

BonesJones likes this.
  14. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I swear people who make comments about Nurk being taken out of the Pelicans series didn't watch the 4th quarter of game 4. Nurk absolutely dominated and forced a double team. NoLa had absolutely no answer for him. It was a small glimpse of what he could become.

riverman, tykendo, BonesJones and 2 others like this.
  15. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

This is one of the main reasons I want Terry fired... he doesn’t know how to use Nurk... another example of Terry trying to match what opponent doing instead of forcing the opponent to matchup with us... no one on Pelicans had the size to guard Nurk

tykendo likes this.
  16. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Nurk should have been played until he couldn't stand anymore, but instead, was used sporadically in the Pels series. Leaving me dumbfounded by Stotts coaching in the series. That being said ,I hope Terry has seen the failure of his lack of use of Nurkic, and gets every minute out of him going forward. If not, Stotts is not long for his job IMO. Based on Jusaf being re-signed of course, which is absolutely a must for this team to continue in the right direction.

17. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

He did get Nurkic in a trade, so he's not always a stiff. But he does need to improve going forward as do most in the organization.