Blazers need 3 point scoring

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by swish3, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Lmao. You my fine sir, win the internet today, AND tomorrow.....

Orion Bailey and Boob-No-More like this.
  2. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Yeah, but he hasn’t missed any attempts either.

3. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

Zach cloned himself!

One of him had a “great” performance while the other was just “notable”.

Perhaps “notable” Zach was hamstrung by foul problems.

4. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I look forward to seeing how he does against Miami's bigs as they have a few of them.

5. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    So, let me get this straight. You're saying that if a team shoots and makes a lot of "swish3s" in a game, that's a good thing? And that teams should try to make a lot of "swish3s", at a high percentage, because making a lot of "swish3s" can help a team win more games?

Shhhh. I hope nobody lets the rest of the league in on your brilliant secret.

Let's just keep this to ourselves, okay?

Remember: Mum's the word, mate.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  6. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Meyers has been completely focused on setting screens, passing within the offense, boxing out around the basket, and attempting to focus on defense. He's even stopped posing. I like it.

7. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Yeah, I'm fine with it. I know Meyers is overpaid and hasn't lived up to being a lottery pick, but he's a 3rd string center (just like he was last year). So, I think all the Meyer's angst and hate are way overblown. With Meyers, I'm find taking the Hippocratic approach: First do no harm.

He's only playing 7 minutes a game and making good decisions when he's on the floor. It may not be worth $10.5 million, but that is sunk cost. Nothing can be done about it.

At some point, we will play a team with a center that refuses to come out of the paint (like in the SAC preseason game), and Meyers will knock down some open 3s, and I'm fine with that, because even then, Meyers is making the right decisions. He has a glacially slow release, but he ONLY shoots when he is wide open, and when he is wide open and can take his time to get the shot off, he shoots a very high percentage. When a player does close out hard on him, it creates an open lane and he does the right thing and passes off to a teammate more capable of exploiting that lane.

Just keep playing like he's playing and I see no reason to hate on the guy.

BNM

Orion Bailey, tlongII and BBert like this.
  8. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

Accuracy and shot selection are the most important, and Meyers is doing that. As he has demonstrated, scoring 17 points, rebounding, and defending deserve notice.

I would count on Meyers for scoring alternating with Jusuf to increase scoring and avoid tired play, especially in the 2nd and 4th quarters. When coached to shoot like the Oct 12 SAC game, Meyers adds scoring that can bring the Blazers to the 130+ points per game that will be a winner. With Meyers as alternate center and Zach and Nik, there is an opportunity for 15 swish3s scoring every game.

High percentage swish3 shooting will be more important this year. The Blasers can and should lead with it.

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

You are killing me with these blasphemous, traitorous posts!

10. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

Yes. This is the problem. After 4 games Mayers has not shot any swish3 attempts. In the game today he should have the Oct 12 assignment to shoot and score. With his demonstrated swish3 percentage, he should be shooting at least 6 swish3s per game, and if he makes 3 or more of them continuing 3 point scoring.

The ideal time for this scoring is to give Nurk a rest in the 2nd and 4th quarters,which has the double advantages of adding 12+ points of scoring and keeping Nurk fresher in these faster paced 2018 games.

The Blazers should anticipate the game in which both Meyers and Zach each score 17 points. With the shooting talent available, both the center and the PF positions should each be contributing 24-30 points per game.

11. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Good post, but stopped posing? You must mean during games....
    [​IMG]

12. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Last Season: Made 10.3/28.1 3s/game at a .366 clip.

This Season: Made 11.8/31.8 3s/game at a .370 clip.

So, we're taking 2.7 more 3s/game and hitting at about the same percentage (would be higher if not for Aminu, who hasn't found the range "yet": 5 for 18, the team sans Aminu is shooting 38.5%).

13. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

The Blazers should be better than 40% in swish3s, by assigning the highest percentage shooters to shoot based on who has the hot hand.

14. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

The Blazers lost to MIA Heat scoring 36 points (12 of 33) versus 45 (15 of 39). The 9 point deficit was exactly the margin of loss. In the 2018 season, the Blazers need 15+ swish3s for a high probability of winning.

Dame again led with 5 of 11 (and led scoring with 42 points), CJ 3 of 7, Zach, Seth, and Jake each 1 of 2, and Meyers 1 of 4. Swish3s by Meyers and Zach in sequence allowed the Blazer catchup and brought momentum to take the lead. But instead of continuing the potent swish3 offense, the Blazers reverted to lower scoring and good swish3 shooting by the Heat, and lost. The Blazers might have won if the multi barrel swish3 offense would have continued.

Scoring by the Blazers in the first half was only 44 points, with a deficit as large as 19 points. This scoring deficit should have been prevented by substitutions as soon as the run bu the Heat was evident, getting hot shooters in to keep the scoring pace up to 65+ points per half that are the aim. Winning teams this season are shooting about 37-45 swish3 attempts per game. The Blazers should do this.

15. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    ah right, we just need nick n meyers shooting 50%+ from 3.

makes sense.

16. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

The Blazers won the swish3 game with only 10 of 26 versus 6 of 19 for the Pacers on Oct 29. Zach had an excellent game with 17 points that included another 1 of 2 swish3s shooting. Nik scored 2 of 3 swish3s, Evan was 1 of 1, Nurk and Seth were each 1 of 2, Chief was 1 of 3, CJ was 1 of 5, and Dame was 2 of 7.

Although enough swish3s to win this game, tonight the Warriors scored 24 swsh3s in their win setting an NBA record. Klay had 14 of them, including 9 in the 3rd quarter. To challenge the leaders, swish3 scoring will need to ramp up. An objective of 15 swish3s per game seems too low in this context.

The Rockets also like to rely on swish3s. In this next game the Blazers should aim for attempting 40-44 swish3s from the hottest Blazer hands for the win.

17. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

If Leonard isn't going to shoot the open 3, there is no reason to play him. It's that simple

18. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

We should play Meyers 48 minutes a night and have him beat that Klay record.

19. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

Yes, Meyers needs to be shooting 6 swish3s per game, and continuing with more attempts if he makes 3+ of them. I would play Meyers, Zach, and Nik together for a multi-swish3 scoring threat that can beat the Rockets!

20. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

I agree that we should play Meyers at least 18 min to allow for attempting the first 6 swish3s. Based on his swish3 % of 42.3 for last season, he may need only about 9 attempts to score 12 points via swish3s.