Blazers need more 3 point scoring

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by swish3, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Bingo! You made a post without saying 'Swish3'. I'm proud of you.

RickyJoe likes this.
  2. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I think your actual argument is that Meyers is a fresh body, not an actual good player. And for that I completely agree.

3. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    The Cleveland Cavaliers will never again win a championship because they lack swish3 scoring from
    the center position. However, for swish3 draft picks we will give them an immense swish3 center
    with a positive attitude.

RickyJoe, Orion Bailey and BonesJones like this.
  4. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

If he's such a good 3pt shooter, as you say, why wouldn't teams run him off the arc? It's not hard to do. He has such a slow shot that defenders can often get there in times causing him to pump fake. If it makes so much for him to shoot a lot, why wouldn't other teams stop him from shooting a lot?

Double? Why would anyone double Meyers? He can't do anything with the ball other than kind of shoot it. All teams have to do is defend him tightly with one defender and cover everyone else, and our offense bogs down.

5. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

By player movement, Meyers and all Blazers can be free for an open shot. And I don't agree that only Meyers can be "run off the arc." Rather, anyone can be defended at the arc, but may not be defended with the right movement patterns and passing to get the man open.

As Terry and many fans have commented, the Blazers need hot swish3 shooting. Several Blazers have been struggling in these recent losses. I think that the Celtics and Grizzlies losses should have been wins.

What has been effective in reaching the career scoring of 1803 points can continue. I do not see Meyers as being more easily defended than Chief or Evan or Mo. The Blazers can keep winning. Playing a rested accurate shooting Meyers late in the games can mean more wins. The Blazers can avoid losses like the Celtics and Grizzlies games.

6. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

The Blazers (8 of 30) beat the Clippers (4 of 13) in the swish3 contest while shooting a terrible 26.7% of FT3s. The two best shooters of the night were Shabazz (1 of 2) and Pat (2 of 4). There is also the problem of only scoring 18 points in the 4th quarter. But relying on an excellent 38 point 2nd quarter and good play throughout the earlier part of the game, the Blazers win and stay on the path to the Championship.

For the playoffs, the Blazers will need better percentage swish3 shooting and 4th quarter play that the coaches can experiment to find in the upcoming games. I imagine that they will use these opportunities to improve.

7. Strenuus

Wait, in 6 years he's averaged 300.5 points and he's our answer?

A team scores more points than him in 3 games...

8. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

The 1803 points are limited by playing time and expressed per year are not impressive, I agree. But the ranking of 4th among active Blazers, ahead of Mo and Evan, (Current All-Time Standings) are notable exactly because in this season he has only 204 min playing time. That means efficient scoring, which is valuable.

9. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

But he has shot 47% from the three points this season, you need to maximize the talent and use the best players available to ensure that the swish3 strategy yields results.

swish3 likes this.
  10. Strenuus

That's not how that works. It only looks efficient because of the lack of time.

BonesJones likes this.
  11. BonesJones

Or we could do what built us that Clipped lead and get buckets inside.

12. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Leonard's numbers per minute are alright. But he's mechanical (i.e. uncreative...looking to the sideline for orders...not a natural athlete) on defense. Tonight's game thread compares him to Marjanovic:

13. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Speaking of the game thread, here's my reason for our lack of 3-point shots.

14. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

This is still just stating the criticisms from last season instead of acknowledging the improved performance this year. Meyers this year is deliberate and accurate, and has improved on defense. He can help win games, and should be recognized for achievements, rather than negatively commented on in comparison to bad players.

15. BonesJones

Meyers is on pace to have a career low amount of defensive win shares, and in 204 minutes, he hasn't blocked a single shot.. not ONE! (For reference, Shabazz gets a block every 100 minutes) So how can you say he's improved defensively?

Orion Bailey likes this.
  16. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

Yes, Meyers needs to develop shot blocking, and based on what Jusuf is doing he can also concentrate on this. I think that he has improved defensively because of his better positioning, movement that anticipates opponents, getting hands high to force changes in opponent's show trajectory, and decreased fouling. He has played defense well against Cousins, Gasol, McGee, and Adams, among others.

17. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Jake layman got burn before meyers. Lol. Baldwin and swanny got burn before meyers. Lol.

Ill trust the coach before your backwards view of meyers’ games

BonesJones likes this.
  18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Short term memory?

He scored how many in memphis?

19. BonesJones

So you think the guy with 0 blocks in 204 minutes is deterring guys from attacking the rim?

Decreased fouling? Last year he fouled 5.1 times Per 36 minutes. This year, has fouling 4.9 times Per 36 minutes. Both are horrible.

Played defense well against Cousins? Last year Cousins dropped 50something on him.

So the dude is 7'1 with no blocks in 204 minutes, is still fouling at an insane clip, and you think he's improved defensively? C'mon dude. You're not objective.

20. LameR

LameR Ha Seung-Jin Approved!

Soccer Coach
    This thread is such a weird mix of actual dialogue and tongue-in-cheek comments. I lovehate it.

RickyJoe, Orion Bailey and Strenuus like this.