Blazers need more 3 point scoring

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by swish3, Feb 25, 2018.

1. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

I think that not adding the 9-15 points from swish3s that Meyers can score is one of several reasons that the Blazers have lost games. Making substitutions at key times to find the hot hand and keep defensive intensity up to the determined effectiveness level, winning the swish3 contest, getting more assists, minimizing turnovers, and getting open shots each have a role.

Scoring at 1 point per minute by any Blazer will be a major improvement that can lead to a win.

In the game today, I imagine improved execution of plays with better selection of who is shooting and using Blazer talent more optimally for the win.

2. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

So you think that Meyers would score 9-15 points per game if he was allowed on the court for a few minutes per game. Basically Meyers is an All-Star level talent then, only not recognized by any coaches in the NBA.

Nobody is going to score 1 point per minute. Maybe Anthony Davis at his best. Then again you probably think Meyers is better than him.

I hope Meyers is completely skipped tonight to be honest. It was weird enough to see him attempting a layup2 when we were down by three the other night.

BonesJones and Lanny like this.
  3. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

The Blazers lost Playoff game 2 scoring 12 of 32 (37.5%) compared with the Pelicans 12 of 24 swish3s, and thus lost the swish3 contest. Mo made 1 of 1 and Chief made 4 of 6 as the hot hands. Mo made all 5 of his FG and got 5 rebounds. But Dame was 1 of 7, CJ was 3 of 8, Zach was 2 of 7, and Pat was 1 of 3. Jusuf (15 pts) played only 13 min, and Evan made 0 points in 20 min.

This game was a terrible disappointment in not adjusting to Pelicans defense and not using Blazer talent. In that unsatisfactory 3rd quarter, the Blazers did not substitute to find better scoring. I would have put Meyers in for several reasons. First swish3 scoring where he could have added 12 points. And he is the best screener for Dame, who did not get effective screens with a swish3 scorer to feed on the Pick and Roll. Several posters have noted that the Blazers are not running a PnR that gets Dame free against the Pelicans, and I think Meyers is the most effective option. Meyers also would add rebounds and fresh energy to provide more effective defense against AD and Mirotic. I would even play Meyers instead of Evan because Meyers can score and Evan was a blank tonight.

Elaborating on my statements above, Meyers scored 30 swish3 points in 31 min in the 2015 Playoffs, which is practically 1 point per min and deserves recognition.

It is most regrettable that the Blazers did not make adjustments in this game. I imagine that winning over the Pelicans is possible if the Blazers will make the substitutions that bring available talent.

4. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Have you ever thought about doing stand-up? You're hilarious.

BonesJones likes this.
  5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Meyers would provide effective defense against AD?!?!

LMAO.

Is Meyers having an affair with this dude?

6. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

Strenuus, don't you agree that Dame needs a high percentage swish3 shooter who can set effective screens for him to improve Blazer offense against the Pelicans.

7. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Thats not what the funny part is, nor the answer.

I still am giggling at the irony you bring to this board, though. Don't change. <3

BonesJones likes this.
  8. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

No he couldn't have. The idea that Meyers is a 50 points per game player is... I don't have the words.

9. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

My point is that in 13-16 min, Meyers could have added 4 swish3 scores, more than enough to win. And Dame would have 8 instead of 4 assists.

10. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

No, he could not have and he would not have. If Meyers was the type of player who would score 8-12 "swish3s" per 36 he would be playing every single night for a contender and getting a maximum contract.

11. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

I think that Meyers scoring 3-5 swish3s is realistic, and a better choice than Evan scoring 0. The Blazers need scoring at 26-29 points per quarter to win these games, and are losing with weak 19 point or less quarters. It is essential for Playoff wins to find the hot hand, and that is what I think is possible.

Even if only playing 2 6-8 min stretches, Meyers could contribute those additional swish3 points for the win.

12. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

The Blazers again lost the swish3 contest in Playoff game 3, shooting only 29% (9 of 31) versus the Pelicans 11 of 27. In my view, this game was lost because of the refusal to substitute Blazer shooting talent in the 1st quarter, instead of the 4th quarter. When the starters are missing shots and making devastating turnovers, there have to be substitutions for a chance to win.

This was a good game for Chief, who scored 3 of 8 swish3s, 8 of 15 FG, 2 of 2 FT, had 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, and 1 block in his 30 min. Dame was 3 of 9, CJ was 2 of 5, Mo was 1 of 5, while Zach, Shabazz, Caleb, and Pat were each 0 for 1 swish3s. Caleb is a less than 20% swish3 shooter who should not take any swish3 attempts!

This was another weak game for Jusuf, who scored only 5 points in 20 min and for Mo who also scored only 5 points in 26 min. Ed did not score in 16 min of play, and thus 8 of the 13 points from the Center position came from Meyers. For the chance to win against the Pelicans, the Blazers need to play Meyers, and do so early, when there is an indication that Jusuf and Ed are not providing scoring.

What I would like to see is the large lineup against the Pelicans, with Jusuf, Chief, and Meyers to provide high percentage shooting, and Ed, Zach, and Mo as alternatives to find the hot hand and up Blazer scoring to the 26-29 point per quarter scoring needed for wins in the Playoffs.

The Blazers must play better ball with fewer turnovers, 24 of which tonight came from Dame 8, CJ 4, Chief 2, Jusuf 2, Shabazz 3, Ed 2, Caleb 1, Wade 1, and Pat 1. And assists need to be at least 22 (rather than 19).

As Terry said, this was a bad game for the Blazers, but it was a demonstration that if you let a run get out of hand early, by not making substitutions to get the offense and defense running, the opportunity is lost.

I imagine that the Blazers can decide to win game 4 by using available talent early on to more optimally score and play consistent determined defense to beat the Pelicans on their home floor on Saturday.

13. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

Although the Blazers won the swish3 contest scoring 10 of 27 versus 9 of 25 by the Pelicans, but lost Playoff game 4 with a 19 FT point advantage given to the Pelicans by the refs. The defense was not consistent or effective, with AD plus Holiday scoring 88 points. CJ scored 38 points. Substitutions were lacking, as only 9 Blazers played and the 3 off the bench contributed only a total of 6 points.

There was good swish3 shooting by Chief 5 for 11, CJ 2 for 3, and Wade 1 for 1. Dame was 1 for 5 and Evan was 1 for 3, with Zach and Pat each going 0 for 2. There was not enough defense against AD and Holiday.

Although the turnovers were much improved at 6, there were not enough points scored from FT missing due to many blatant nocalls. AD plays strong defense, but how much is it artificially ref assisted? Their series against the Warriors should be informative.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018