Notice Blazers Pick Shaedon Sharpe With #7 Pick

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

Can one of you explain the enthusiasm, please? We had a plan and this is most definitely not the plan.

Tince likes this.
  2. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

And what was the plan you thought we had?

Did you see the excitement of Billups & the others when we got Sharpe? That, to me says volumes about their plan.

High upside but some bust potential. I’m in.

Rather that than Zach Collins who had decent potential but also had bust potential.

Would you rather have traded for OG who has missed a ton of games the past two years?

Yes, we may strike out but I’m excited that we may have a future star as compared to trading for another solid role-player.

Idog1976, Quatro44, Tince and 6 others like this.
  3. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

GTFO outta here with your positivity, FAMS!

:NOTMARIS:

Natebishop3 and Fairly-Hard like this.
  4. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

The plan, as Cronin said, was to build around Dame and be competitive. Explain how this does that. Anyone, please.

And I didn’t say anything about OG, but obviously that would have been amazing. And look into why he missed games instead of just reading the numbers.

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Dame followed Sharpe on IG lmao get fucked Danny Marangutan

AmirIcon, Natebishop3 and GoBlazersGo like this.
  6. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Taking, who a lot of “experts”, think is the most talented player with the highest ceiling in the draft could be a great thing

7. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Give it time. It's the one thing we all have. Watch this kid just explode! It's time for Portland to get another great player. Lets hope this is the one.

Idog1976, Natebishop3 and blazerkor like this.
  8. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I get it, I was excited in a different way about OG. That being said, this is the person in this draft with Paolo, Chet, Ivey, Jabari etc. who has the highest ceiling. He was and has been the number one ranked prospect for next year's draft class until he reclassified and went to Kentucky in January. So we're getting the closest thing anyone has had in a while to a guy straight out of high school except he got to be coached by Calipari for a few months. I'm really excited to see him play in summer league where he'll either dominate and make me think he'll contribute right away or I think he'll at least show flashes of brilliance that will make me think he's an exciting developmental player.

I'm not ruling out the chance that he takes over the starting SF spot from Nas by the end of the season, if a different player isn't acquired for that role. He's definitely a shot maker and a threat at the rim (both getting there himself and cutting), so he might hang in the super sixth man/instant offense role for a season or two. Mostly, if we're going to stick with Dame for the rest of his career (which I think is the only plan any of us can point to Cronin having publicly stated) this might be the beginning of the end for Ant here. I think we will see Ant signed to a reasonable contract and that announced Thursday afternoon. I think he'll be featured heavily early in the season and if Shaedon is picking things up quickly, especially defensively, I think we could see Ant moved as soon as the trade deadline this upcoming season or next summer. I think it all depends on if Shaedon is a force on defense. If he is, he's just a much better fit next to Dame than Dame has ever had.

Propagandist and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  9. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

It happens. It’s rare…but it happens.

I’d expect him to contribute equal to that of his peers selected near him. Perhaps better.

Never know, with significant minutes on a decent team, he could be ROY.

Time will tell

10. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

No risk no reward, glad we took the chance/risk on Sharpe, other trade for players like OG did not work out and glad we did not overpay and Dame is apparently fully onboard with this pick, works for me

11. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    Ny is blowing it up. Sign and trade Ant for Randle?

Dame
    Hart
    Grant
    Randle
    Nurk

Nas
    Sharpe
    Winslow
    Watford
    Ingles

Use the EBEC to bring in a back up big.
    I would consider that a homerun offseason aNd put Joe up for GM of the year.

12. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company

Beginning of the end for Ant???? Slow down first off Ant is probably going to end up being a PG, 2nd Ant showed signs of being a star (while playing in the NBA) where as Sharpe hasn’t even played one college game or G league game in a year. I hope they both work out to be stars and as Dame ages these two guys lead us into the next 10-12 years. The guy who’s spot he could take would be Hart and I would love for that to happen not because I don’t like Hart but that would mean Sharpe us better than Hart

13. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Sharpe has the most upside of any player in the draft. He was better than anyone else we could have drafted there and better than anyone we could have gotten in a trade. With great ability comes wins. This is how that does that.

Idog1976, SharpesTriumph and BBert like this.
  14. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

New Orleans taking a shot at our guy

15. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

He's just salty that Shaedon wouldn't work out for them after the Portland workout.

16. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I think some people are missing a few things.

1. Dame's getting older. His career probably isn't ending after this season or after next. He's got several years of high level play left in him, in all likelihood.

2. Trading for an established player might make the Blazers slightly better in the short run, but none of those linked with the Blazers were going to make them a real contender in 2022-23. Some people are getting so worried about the upcoming season when we might actually have taken a big, practical step to being a true contender in 2-3 years.

I think one has to ask themselves if you'd rather have three decent seasons or two seasons with maybe 5 fewer wins and then a deep playoff run with a chance at a title in the third year. The latter puts us closer to the goal than the former, and we're still a competitive team in either case.

17. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    While it's true SS could be a bust, it seems petty at this point.

Taking a shot at other players doesn't say anything positive about your pick, but it definitely seems telling.

18. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    At the moment I'm really wishing we'd taken Daniels. He's a better fit with Dame and Ant, he's a better defender and a better passer. The Athletic draft guide has him ranked higher and says he "outperformed Josh Giddey at lower levels in Australia". He grew from 6'6" to 6'8" this year. And he's a point guard!

Meanwhile the same guide compares Sharpe to Terrence Ross.

Here's hoping they're wrong...

oldmangrouch likes this.
  19. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    A depressingly large number of players still have great "upside" even as they fall out of the NBA into obscurity.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  20. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Trading for OG wasn't a horrible idea, but at right price.

But trading the 7th pick seems to just be perpetual kicking the can down the road.

Honestly, not sure if OG (at the cost of the pick) puts them in a significantly better place than the potential ceiling of Shaedon.

OG to me has a oladipo vibe to me, in that we should let someone else make that trade and over pay for him.

Quatro44 and Natebishop3 like this.