Blazers ranked 3rd worst future of NBA teams ahead of only Wizards and Kings

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SharpesTriumph, Apr 3, 2022.

1. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

ESPN put out their NBA franchises future power rankings. https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/in...wer-rankings-predicting-best-worst-franchises

The Blazers dropped from no 18 last year to now no 28. This is how they ranked in the five components;
    Players 27
    Management 29
    Money 7
    Market T17
    Draft 3

Here is their explanation;
    Only teams worse were the Wizards at 29 and Kings at 30.

2. SharpesTriumph

Painful to see this, and more painful that I totally agree with it.

The franchise trusted the most critical aspect of a rebuild to an interim GM that has shown and explained how he is in way over his head. Plus whatever stupid middling cost cutting moves from ownership. The problem is now even if the franchise gets an amazing GM, its too late. It will be a long time to improve this shit roster to be even a handful of moves away from contending.

Kind of surprising that our market is actually ranked in the middle of the league. Goes against Olshey's excuse of how he could never get free agents or players here.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  3. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

IIRC there was already a thread on this a week or so ago. I remember saying 'fuck espn' in it

4. SharpesTriumph

Well someone can merge if they want. I don't follow the team or board like I used to. I can handle the team losing or rebuilding. Heck rebuilding is often more exciting than rooting for a flawed playoff team.

But what we are seeing now is far more disappointing; with the incompetence, lack of vision, sabotaging of long term future, prioritizing dollars ahead of talent, rumors of offering lottery assets for overrated players, and inexcusable poor management decisions that have all gotten much worse since Olshey left.

Now I primarily blame Cronin... but its hard for me to know exactly how much of that blame should be focused on Jody/Vulcan.

Although many league experts actually say managing an owner is a critical part of being a great GM. Thus perhaps Jody and Vulcans faults are the faults of Cronin.

BBert likes this.
  5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I'm not going to spend much time defending Cronin. But it's clear to me his mandate was based upon a decade of Olshey mismanagement and the foundation of that mandate was to dismantle olshey's roster and dig out of olshey's salary-cap hole

personally, I think the Blazers are in a much better place right now than they were when Olshey was fired. Portland was going nowhere, stuck on a treadmill at the end of a dead end street in purgatory. Getting out of that predicament was not going to be damage-free or pain-free

and again: FUCK espn and that idiotic ranking. Portland's talent is not 27th in the league

Idog1976, TBpup and blazerfan11 like this.
  6. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

We're in a better place

Moving on.

PCmor7 and 1 Eye Jack like this.
  7. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    Totally agree, we can debate about the returns we got in each of the major trades that were completed. But lack of vision is something I strong disagree with. Cronin didn’t have years to rebuild and is having to make a splash to keep his new title, other GMs know this and are going to use that for leverage in any negotiation he enters into right now. I think he’s done a pretty decent job considering the hand he’s been dealt.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  8. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    ESPN is worried about whats shiny this week.

The team still (potentially) has a core of Dame, Simons, Little, Nurk and 2 potential lotto picks + Hart and a decent amount of cap space.

Throw in any potential trades and who knows. Not saying the team is a title contender next year, but the team as it is now is not what will be the team next year. To think otherwise is lazy.

9. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I totally agree that what we're seeing now has nothing to do with the future of the team... I can't imagine more than one or two of these guys will have a spot next year, and it's not like our team next year is a world-beater.

And that's the problem. We have Dame (amazing), Nurk (quality starter), Hart (starting-level guy who's on a friendly contract), Simons (lots of potential, but also going to be paid a lot, undercutting the value that many rookie deals provide) and... hope. Little? So little track record that while I'm glad he's a Blazer it's not like he's proven that he's a difference-maker. The lottery pick(s)? Until we know where we're drafting, I'm unconvinced we'll get a starting-level guy in the first couple of years with him. Salary cap space? Which free agent is going to come to this team without being overpaid to do so?

In other words: this roster is lousy, even when everyone's healthy. If we went down, team by team as ESPN did, I think it's entirely reasonable to say we're in one of the worst conditions in the NBA, even if any team we're running out should not lose by 20 points a night like this one is.

BBert and SharpesTriumph like this.
  10. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    oh, totally agree. But I think the difference is, Little and Simons (and imho, Simons might be more likely to be a very solid starter for the team) is a decent starting point.

I would put the team at 35th if they didn't have Dame + Simons and Nurk.

Next years team *should* be better than this years team even if it was healthy all year. BUT that depends on where they land in the lotto, if they get 2 of them, if they *keep* both of them, and if they make a trade or two.

One lucky bounce of the lotto balls could change things a lot though, but I'm thinking they'll probably be picking around 6-9 and whatever the Pelicans pick might be.

11. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

I guess the Blazers will be a surprise to rest of the league next season. Or maybe just to those idiots.

Idog1976, HailBlazers and SlyPokerDog like this.
  12. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    just remember the same morons had the lakers and nets as the top teams last september. power rankings are click bait and mean shit.

13. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I don't think our future is bleak. I actually think if our goal is to build a contender around Dame, that can be accomplished this off season with the right moves and/or picks. That being said we are not going to have any cap space. Right now if we opt out on Bledsoe and opt in on Hart which seems like the right thing to do, we will have ~78M in salary. Then you add in ~40M so we do still have Ant and Nurk and that puts us at ~118M then if our picks stay about where they're supposed to that's another ~6M and at least one second rounder that costs ~1M. That's ~125M when the cap is going to be ~122. That's also 13 roster spots taken up. If we want to keep the option of going way over the tax so we can use our TPEs then we would only be able to use the TPMLE for that last roster spot or we can sign Ingles to any amount we want. A lot of different moves could be made besides just standing pat with what we have and adding two lotto picks (if we get that second one) but almost every likely scenario in which we are trying to build a contender around Dame leaves us with no cap space.

I did start the thread that this is a duplicate of and I don't know if I just delivered the info or gave an opinion but I think our future is bright. If Dame and Ant can be more than the sum of their parts on offense and not be a huge liability on D then we are in a really great place and if they're not a fit let's just hope whoever is running the team is smart enough not to have this team making the same mistake two times in a row and we move one of them for the considerable value they should have. We have a lot of good talent Dame, Ant, Hart and Keon are a really fucking good back court, Nas, Justise, Trendon and Greg are pretty good forwards and Nurk is one of the best space eating bigs in the game. Then we have our pick which will land somewhere in the early to mid lotto... so that should be another really good player. We have the possibility that I still see as highly probable of having a late lotto pick too. We have an early second rounder and one of the last second rounders. We have an almost 21M and a 6M TPE. We have the opportunity to take the protections off of our pick we owe Chicago for a small thing like cash or a second rounder, thus giving us access to our future picks starting in 2025 to move. We do also have the opportunity until some time in July when we'll either have to guarantee it or opt out to use Bledsoe's salary to combine with others if we're trying to land a player in a trade with a bigger salary than we can fit into the TPE.

We'll know better who is for sure running the team and what exactly we have on May 17th but the future looks bright. Go Blazers!

Idog1976 likes this.
  14. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

But we’re tanking! That’s the ticket to future success, or haven’t you heard?

15. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

You believed in an ESPN article about teams future. First mistake. Lmao.

16. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
  17. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

When your team is being described in the same sentence with the Kings and Wizards it should give you some pause.
    Not going to pay to read the rest but I'm betting numbers 25-27 are not really great examples of teams we want to mimic.

Bingo Bango likes this.
  18. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    How can the Lakers not be the worst, aging brittle superstars and no draft picks

PtldPlatypus and Idog1976 like this.
  19. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

They will move off of Davis this off season is my guess. Russ too if they can find a taker?

20. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    After the trades, the Blazers beat the Bucks and the Grizz on the road. It was obvious that they would not get a good Draft pick with those players and the new coaching emphasis, so nagging, little injuries that players might play through, became cause to sit out.

Bring those players back (Nurk, Ant, Hart, Winslow) and add Dame who was out before the trades with his injury. Add in a Lottery pick (fingers crossed for a Top-3) and then the possible asset from a 2nd Lottery pick, and the Blazers will be well above #27 barring injuries.

If you could find win totals for next year that were made based on the ESPN projection being so low, I would make a wager.