Free Agent Blazers Sign Ben McLemore

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Unless you are in the middle of hitting 13 straight 3s.

ANT improved his overall game throughout the season. Let's see what Chauncey can do with him.

2. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

You said he was garbage for most the season until he found his shot. Yet he started the season shooting well. He didn't need to find a shot that wasn't missing. Now you're changing your argument it seems.

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

He would disappear for stretches. Being a good shooter isn’t just about percentage. Just like the series against Denver. He was great in the first game and then he disappeared. A lot of that in on stotts. Look at his attempts from month to month. The guy is a wall flower. He has insane athleticism but never attacks the rim. He has a great outside shot but never demands the ball. Imagine if he has GTJs confidence.

Attached Files:

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

The series against Denver is a microcosm of his struggles as a player. Look at his three point attempts in game one and then the rest or the series

Attached Files:

5. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

Don't hate the signing - but wouldn't George Hill (a real pg) have made more sense?

PtldPlatypus and perkinsfor3 like this.
  6. perkinsfor3

perkinsfor3 Well-Known Member

Crazy. I've always had a soft spot for Ben McLemore. His shooting form is probably one of the most perfect ones I've seen over the past 20 years in the NBA. He is athletic, he's quick and strong. He just totally missed out on the mental part. Soft, not intrinsic motivation, mentally checks out and rather just floats around in games.

7. Paine Tablet

Paine Tablet Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to believe he replicates a lot of what Trent gave Portland and much cheaper and less in need of extensive playing time.

8. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I’ve always thought he should have been better than what he’s been. God gifted talent, man made brain

9. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

He's a solid defender at the 2 and the 3. Norm, Zeller and McLemore with Rocco and Nurk hopefully Lillte with Billups coaching will all help Dame and CJ
    Lose Melo and Kanter and this team will play solid defense. Everyone except a few always negative posters on this board agree the Blazers have significantly improved on defense.

riverman likes this.
  10. Paine Tablet

Paine Tablet Well-Known Member

Maybe that is something that sets them apart, but he can do what Trent does. I just watched his highlights from this past season and he's like a spitting image of Trent. You might have a point that he's not assertive, but as well it's not necessarily a requirement for his role. Is he the sixth man? If he is then that type of consistency might be expected, but for a guy who projects further down the bench if you can get some hot nights that's what you take - and he's certainly capable of that.

11. perkinsfor3

perkinsfor3 Well-Known Member

Trent is the anti-Ben. Where Ben just had all the tools and talent but just couldnt motivate himself enough to take that next step, Trent has had a chip on his shoulder and improved so much by being gritty and relentless.

12. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    The All 6'4" and under all-star team.

Dame
    CJ
    Ant
    Powell
    McLemore

One of these has to go, right? With only one of those that plays PG, it doesn't make sense unless one of them is being moved.

13. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Why

mclemore is a bench warmer.

14. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me that both CJ and Ant are gone via trade, for wing, come fall camp.

15. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

CJ isn’t getting traded, lol

16. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Because Norm already proved that he isn't effective defending true small forwards... so we take a really good defender at guard and play him as a below average defender at forward. It makes no sense. What makes sense is the guy you're calling a bench warmer played 17 minutes per game last season for the Lakers shooting 39% from three in the 21 games he played for them... so he's still giving productive playing time in the league. To me, when considering his size and his redundancy on redundancy on redundancy it adds to the already huge mountain of indicators that a CJ for PF should be imminent.

Obviously I still don't trust Neil because as beautiful as the Norm deal was yesterday... it wasn't a big move in any sense of the term. It was a re-signing. We need Neil for the first time in 9 years to take a big swing and send CJ and whatever draft capital and/or non core player(s) (Nas, Ant, DJJ) out and land Simmons or Siakam.

TBpup and Hoopguru like this.
  17. DDolla

DDolla Well-Known Member

We can only sign cheap players lol.

18. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see a trade coming for a decent wing 6'7-69" coming but it may not be for one talked about. We do have assets to make a move, just hope it fits where we need help.

19. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

McLemore is only 6'3"? I always though he was 6'5" or so... Maybe that's why he hasn't lived "up" to expectations.

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

George Hill is going to cost you more than 2 mil and change and need minutes...McLemore is affordable...we're not spending more than that on a guard when we need a PF ...we've already committed a huge chunk of cap to two guards