Blazers sign Chris Kaman

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Re: Kaman a Blazer

I call him that because of this.
    [​IMG]

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This signing means Kaman was a stop gap because Hawes and McRobert and Monroe want more money than we pay Lopez. We got two centers for less money than Hawes is going to command. Logic dictates Neil is going to trade for talented guards as Mo is probably going to the Mavs. Interesting how it unfolds. TRob won't have to play Center any more. He'll back up LaMarcus at PF. Good news is Kaman hated being a Laker. Can't hold that against him

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  3. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

That doesn't really improve our team. We won 54 games by using only two starting lineups all season long and needed heroics from Lillard in Game 6 and Aldridge in Games 1 & 2 to advance out of the 1st Round. I just don't see any of these moves making us better over the course of a 82-game season.

4. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

and if Freeland stays he is center #3 and plays some backup PF as well - if he or Trob stays that is

5. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

It does improve our team because it adds quality depth. Our starters log way too many minutes and have to pace themselves way too much. In the playoffs our stars will be fresher.

6. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Love the signing, great work by olshey. I wanted kaman last season during FA. Just the kind of guy who can give you a solid 10-15, but don't expect anything else. He's a backup robin lopez, going to come in and do all the things you want him to.

Kaman really is a less talented robin lopez, doesn't defend as well. Kamans offensive game isn't anything to laugh at either. You gotta think more is coming otherwise it's a strike out kinda offseason.

Looking for olshey to strengthen the 1 or 3

Bench:
    FA/CJ
    FA/CJ/Crabbe/Barton
    FA/Barton? (We could use some height/length at this position coming off the bench.)
    Trob/Leonard? (Lot of talk here about Leonard playing out of position, maybe FO realized it)
    Kaman/freeland?/Leonard? (Agree with the masses here, don't see need for 4 centers.

7. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

So does the Kaman signing make you want a more offense or defensive oriented player with our other roster spot? Assuming we don't get back Mo

8. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

Defensive. I want thrill to be our offensive spark plug for the bench. Id love to see him chuck that ball and drive as much as he wants to. Thrill could end up being a 6th man of the year for the new era of players.

9. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    I think Blake and a defensive wing would be nice

10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I'd hoped for more but most of the other guys being talked about would have required a S&T. Can't force another team to make a trade.

11. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I disagree. The biggest problem with the team was that when the starters were out there was no one (besides Mo) who could actually score on a semi regular basis.

Robinson was inconsistent, CJ was unproven, Leonard was busy checking out his pecs in the reflection of the backboard, and Freeland was busy growing his hipster beard.

I think Kaman (albeit, somewhat of a let-down inasmuch as a free agent signing) provides some punch off the bench where they don't lose as much offensively. Guy averaged almost 20-11 per 36. Not saying he'd average that IF given 36 minutes, but by comparison, Joel averaged 8 and 10 and Meyers 9-11. Robinson was 14-13.

Not saying he's the difference between 54 and 60 wins, but he COULD help the team keep leads or at least play smarter when he's in.

I'd love to be able to keep the starters on the bench longer, by having a bench that at least is competent.

12. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

oh, you mean former all star chris kaman?

13. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

14. SlyPokerDog

15. SlyPokerDog

Joe Freeman ‏@BlazerFreeman Kaman: "I want to be back in playoffs and help the team get back to wining the title. I think the Trail #Blazers are right at that level."

16. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Jamaal Magloire was an all star too! and he could dunk with his eyes shut and his hand over his face!

17. SlyPokerDog

[​IMG]

Starting center Robin Lopez appears to be excited when asked about the new addition in our hometown of Fresno, Calif. "He's definitely going to help us. I think it was a great decision," Lopez told CSNNW.com while selling while helping a childhood friend sell fireworks. "I know he has a great relationship with Coach [Kim] Hughes from his days as a Clipper and he's tough to guard. I'm excited for us. We should be much more improved."

http://www.csnnw.com/blazers/chris-kaman-headed-portland

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

At least when Lopez is on the bench and TRob is on the court, we have a big who can score from all over the court. He's an upgrade from the Jared Jeffries days by a long shot and brings scoring we weren't getting from Freeland and Robinson. At 4.5 mil, this is a short term investment. More expensive bigs want more years and a whole lot more money. Leonard might be a center when Kaman is done here.

19. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I've always called Kaman "white Dale Davis."

On a serious note, the deal seems fine. Nothing exciting, but it doesn't seem terrible either. He's a decent defender who shouldn't be counted on for much on the offensive end except some rebounds.

20. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I'm telling you guys right now. Lightning stuck twice and 6 months from now we will be talking about how much he holds the second unit together.

Also after bouncing around I expect him to work back to his better years thanks to stability and understanding his role(was a mess in LA last season, thought he was going to play a whole different style)