Game Thread Blazers vs OKC Tuesday July 28th, 3pm PST NBCSNW

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Eastoff, Jul 28, 2020.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I am too, but these exhibition games are no indication of the quality of our defense.

2. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Really liked Zach's first half minus the last few minutes.

Locked in and active. Thought he was a little out of sorts on both ends vs Toronto so nice to see him bounce back. Nice to see him hit a couple 3s. Really has tightened up his mechanics and you can tell it's coming off his hand nicely right now. Loved that right* hand whip pass to Simons off the O-Board. His decision making is still spotty but I like that he's more assertive with the decisions he's making.

Got a little frustrated with himself in the 2nd half though. Has gotten better at having a next play mentality but looked like rookie Collins out there at times late.

Thought the defense looked solid with Zach and Nurk out there. Flood gates from 3 didn't really open up until we went to 2nd unit. Need to do a better job closing to a touch though. Once OKC found their rhythm, we didn't do much to disrupt it.

Hassan looked out of it most of the game. Also played with some units that he hasn't played with and it showed. We saw that with a lot of units in general.

Couple good sequences for Nurk on both ends. That pump, drive and dunk was special. His positioning gets away from him at the end of these long first quarter stretches but overall, looks great.

Little too much Melo on offense for my liking. He's an awkward fit on both ends with that starting unit. He does allow us to switch a bit more along big frontlines like the lineup OKC had out there, bit I do like Gary quite a bit more with that group in most match ups. Also like what it does for Gary. Can focus on defending and playing off the advantages Dame creates. Think he plays a bit outside of himself at times when he's playing with the 2nd unit guys.

Nas shot looks noticeably smoother and a like how confident he is with it. Looked like a guy that hasn't played in a while otherwise. Step slow on both ends.

Nice to see Ant get it going. So much talent with the ball. Jumper hasn't fallen at times, has made some bad decisions with ball. Needs to learn to talk more on both ends. Has gotten a little stronger and been pretty good on the ball defensively. Still not sure if he'll ever be a high enough feel player on both ends or efficient enough on offense to be really valuable, but there's enough flashes to keep me pretty far away from giving up on him.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  3. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Hey now... Us old farts at the YMCA deserve some RESPECT!

GrandpaBlaze likes this.
  4. kjironman1

This was kind of what i was afraid of. No noticeable improvement from the team as a whole on Defense and no real improvement on Offense because the players we want to gel are not playing together.

But again there is a built in excuse. Certain players didn't play.

I'm not and do not profess to even be remotely qualified to coach at this level so please just take this as an opinion.

I would have liked to see this team take these games a bit more serious. I would have liked to see more fire and i would have liked to see them play with an intensity that could carry over into the 8 game stretch. I don't like the Stotts's playing it safe at every turn Philosophy to coaching but it wins him enough games to stay relevant i guess. I personally do not see this team making the playoffs if they continue to implement these same strategies. They just don't have that killer coach and history to turn on the intensity at will. They have softballed their way through this so far. What makes anyone think they can exert their will at any given time? Stotts is completely reactionary in his coaching at this point. Maybe by design???? I don't think so.

I will say this again- You will play in games the way you practice! The Blazers did not practice well at all. Lets hope they can catch fire because they sure have not up to this point.

Go Blazers!

jlprk, BonesJones, KSF-ERIC and 2 others like this.
  5. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

Closer to bottom 5. The sooner we lose Melo and Hezonja the sooner we can get on the long road to recovery from the summer-19 debacle.

AldoTrapani likes this.
  6. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

You're making it too complicated. Could you elaborate?

7. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

We used to have balance and chemistry. Dame & CJ could get out on the 3 and if (when) they got beat we had three good interior defenders to compensate. Vice versa on offense. Now we are all out of whack. We have sooooo many bad defenders. And we have two centers that are too good to play only 24 minutes each but who together can't defend the 3 point line and unbalance our offense as well.

8. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

Players with insufficient skill to be victorious playing notably more minutes than their skill level would otherwise dictate.

Better?

:)

RickyJoe and kjironman1 like this.
  9. bobf

bobf Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhh..... now I get it. Thx.

GrandpaBlaze likes this.
  10. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Eric Gordon hurts his ankle...... this is why Dame and CJ didn’t play today.

Eastoff likes this.
  11. kjironman1

Guess we need them in bubble wrap in the bubble.

THE HCP likes this.
  12. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

Excellent post!

13. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    • Wenyen continues to do good things every time he is on the floor. Very active and distruptive on defense and starting to make some shots on offense.
    • On the other side, Melo plays little defense and the offense comes to a stand still until he throws up a brick and people start chasing rebounds. So even if he starts making shots, he is such a minus on the other end.
    • Still giving up a ridiculous percentage from '3'. Same ole', same ole'.
    • 16-26 from Trent/Ant? Wow!

Eastoff, UKRAINEFAN and HailBlazers like this.
  14. KSF-ERIC

Well you are right but we haven't seen their actual practices and obviously Stotts has. They probably had different goals for the exhibition games. I have faith we'll be ready. Remember, last year, OKC swept us 4-0 in the regular season and CJ sat out the last 3 or 4 weeks of the season and then we came out and, boom, obliterated the Thunder on our way to the Western Conference Finals. These guys know what they're doing. I'm sure the primary goal was to get Zach and Nurk some time out on the court and the two of them have looked great. The fact is, with only 8 games left, Dame/CJ/Melo(GTJ)/Collins/Nurk will be playing upward of 40 minutes each I would guess (hope).

15. KSF-ERIC

16. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Considering his size/athleticism and offensive load, CJ is a fine defender.

Eastoff likes this.
  17. KSF-ERIC

Remember when he blocked Paul George and then hit a three on the other end in the playoffs this year? It was unbelievable. I can't find it on YouTube.

18. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

19. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Well said.

20. kjironman1

Different team altogether.