Game Thread Blazers Vs Spurs Summer League Playoffs GM3

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PDXFonz, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Still not convinced he is a PF. Against some teams I suppose he and Nurk will fit well together, but against others...... no way. Just like I don't think Ed Davis would fit well next to Nurk. Noah seems a little better suited to cover the diverse PF's in the NBA. But I do think Swanigan can give us back up minutes at both the 4-5 positions depending on the matchups.

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

For the record, last year's 10th pick was also (allegedly) a 19-year old 7-footer - Thon Maker and he averaged 9.9 MPG.

Of the 8 rookies that averaged > 20 MPG last season, only two played on winning teams, neither were 19, and one was 24-year old ROY Malcom Brogdon.

BNM

Scalma likes this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Miami plays in the east and still missed the playoffs. As for our record, it would've looked different as well if we had Nurkic the whole season. What we did before we got him is insignificant. He's a gamechanger that changed the entire team and also made everyone around him better. Miami is not a 50+ win team even with Waiters and Winslow. Portland should be. As for Boston. Whose minutes is Tatum taking?

SIeepwalker likes this.
  4. Boob-No-More

So, Gordon Hayward is only going to play 28 MPG? Seems like a lot of money to pay a guy who will average fewer MPG than Allen Crabbe.

BNM

5. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Aldridge was 1000x better of a prospect than Collins and he put up solid numbers for backing up an all-star level PF for most his rookie season (something Collins won't be doing) so that comparison doesn't make sense unless you're trying to say Collins is gonna end up the best big man of 2017? Which I do not see happening whatsoever.

CJ is a different story completely too, he was buried in the lineup and got hurt. To be fair I didn't have much faith in CJ until he balled out against Memphis but I think most Blazer fans were worried that CJ wasn't gonna be able to produce, especially when Barton was playing over him.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  6. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

Tatum will get Brown's rookie minutes since he is gonna be their starting 2 in all likelihood. From there he will probably get some minutes at shooting guard and power forward when they want to go big or small. Tatum has a big chance at ROY, and hell maybe even 6MOY

7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

To be fair no one thought Thon was going top 10 and this past draft was one of the worst classes EVER

8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Even if that happens, Boston is a special case. An exception. Teams as good as them usually don't have a top 3 pick.

9. Boob-No-More

I didn't say Collins would be the best big from his draft. My point was that Aldridge, an older, more experienced 2nd pick barely played 20 MPG as a rookie and was not a ROY candidate. Therefore, expecting a younger 10th pick to be those things is simply not realistic.

And did you not learn anything from that? You're giving up on Collins WAY sooner than you gave up on C.J. C.J. proved you wrong. Here's hoping Collins does too.

BNM

10. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

Do teams as "good" as us usually get top 10 picks? Look, I want this all to workout but I don't get what the point in drafting Collins was unless he is to be the guy we hand the franchise to when Dame and CJ age.

11. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

But Aldridge played behind Z-Bo, Collins is behind Vonleh. If Aldridge had started the whole season he'd have been a ROY candidate WITH Brandon.

I get you're gonna defend Collins no matter what so this is pointless, I just expected a little more from the kid we traded assets for and who said "why can't I be rookie of the year" from the get go. I was not expecting a slow, not in basketball shape, weak big man. People hyped me on him too much so I guess it's natural to be let down when he can't back down a small forward.

12. Boob-No-More

You've seen him play in two summer league games and you've already given up on him, Don't you think that's a little premature?

Karl Antony Townes, the first pick in the 2015 draft and future ROY shot 8-25, committed 18 fouls and 9 turnovers in his first two summer league games. And again, that's a first overall pick. Did you write him off after those two games, too?

And no, I'm not defending Collins no matter what. I am defending reason and logic. You have jumped to some conclusions after two summer league games and are already making assumptions about his rookie year, and beyond.

BNM

13. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

I haven't given up on him but I'm disappointed in the fact he is a long haul player at best. I mean in three years he may be a solid rotational piece, but in 3 years Dame will be 30 and nearing the end of his contract. Just feels like we as a team are gonna be stuck in the mud for the foreseeable unless we magically pull another all-star or two (probably will have to be two in today's NBA lol) to be truly competitive in the west.

14. Boob-No-More

Maybe the point is to expand the window to coincide with the latter part of Dame and C.J.'s prime, when GSW and CLE will no longer hold a duopoly on the NBA finals. They've both got at least 5 more years of playing at their peak levels. At that time, Nurk will be 27, Swanigan 25 and Collins 24.

Or did you really think anyone we picked at 1oth in this draft was going to help get us past the Warriors in the next 3 years?

BNM

TBpup likes this.
  15. Boob-No-More

And he will still have at least 2 or 3 years of peak performance left.

Again did you really think anyone we took at 10th would help get us past the Warriors in the next three years? Maybe the goal is to get past the Warriors 4 and 5 years from now when we actually have a chance to beat a healthy GSW team in a playoff series.

BNM

16. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

Honestly, I hoped so. This was a great draft with a lot of nba ready players.

17. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Collins didn't even look that bad. His defense will put him in the mix as a rookie. He's got a couple months to get stronger. I'm not worried about his offense. I know he can shoot. He's got attitude. He's a good athlete. He's got footwork. He can move laterally. Don't count him out as a rookie contributor just yet.

Pridan likes this.
  19. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

In case anyone missed the game, here's the highlights:

Sorry if they've already been posted. I haven't read this thread at all, and I didn't see the game.

Blazer4ever likes this.
  20. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I actually agree with a lot of what you said. But after a couple of games where our lottery pick, we moved up to get, looked poor on offense, there is nothing wrong with wishing for more. Instead I got "summer league doesn't matter".

I know in the grand scheme of things that it isn't important. I also, as a fan, want my guys to look good.

So I get frustrated when people post how great Swanigan looks, and those same people don't say the same thing to those posts.

To take it a step further, in the NBA, the regular season doesn't really matter a lot either