Blockbuster Trade!

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by mike18946, Jul 22, 2003.

1. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">i think it's a great trade for the 76ers. when stackhouse played for the 76ers him and iverson both wanted to lead the team and be the 1st option. also iverson has become a much better playmaker and tries to get his teammates involved. he now has a player who he can feel confident dishing the ball, too, because big dog can drop 22 to 25 points every night. also big dog knows this team belongs to iverson.</div>

But Big Dog has caused problems everywhere he's been. The team they had in Milwaukee was a great team if you looked at it, but they had to trade him because he kept gcausing problems.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

big dog definately has character issues, but the 76ers have done a great job in dealing with these type of players. the best example is derrick coleman. he was a headcase and a troublemaker where ever he went, but in philly he finally shedded the image and became a solid player again. of course larry brown was the main reason, but randy ayers has plenty of credibility and has learned a lot from larry. hopefully a change of environment will help big dog out. i'm sure iverson will welcome him with open arms and is estatic to see kvh gone.

3. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

they certainly look tough on paper but dont forget spree has the ability to make a team worse as much as he makes it better. That said the knicks should be nearly a lock for last place in the eastern conferance. the hawks have made themselves slightly worse. i no longer think that theyll get the 8th playoff spot although terry and shareef could possibly lead them to a better season than people expect. the sixer get better but not by very much at all.

4. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

hawks get screwed, and same with knicks. so this isn't official yet? i think it is just a huge rumor that is getting very close to getting finished, but don't be upset if this doesn't happen.

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

It's on ESPN..ibut t won't be offical til tomorrow

rumours are are few players need to be added to make it work..marc jackson is set to be in the trade and will go to philly

6. olskoolfunktitude

do u think g rob will make philly better or worse

7. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

so just van horn to NY? i want jackson [​IMG]

8. knicks235

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting olskoolFunktitude:</div><div class="quote_post">do u think g rob will make philly better or worse</div>

better in the sence of scoring worse in the off court issues, cancer to his team

9. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

seems the deal has changed

Philly gets Brandon and Marc Jackson,

NY get KVH,

Minny gets Spree.

glenn robinson will not be in the trade....

10. knicks235

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">seems the deal has changed

Philly gets Brandon and Marc Jackson,

NY get KVH,

Minny gets Spree.

glenn robinson will not be in the trade....</div>

so knicks get no one? damn that sucks i want t-mc eventhough he wont play,likley to retire or salmons

11. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

knicks get KVH...

12. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

I want Big Dog, this really sucks that it has changed!

13. twolvefan11

twolvefan11 JBB Banned Member

I didn't want the Timberwolves to give up Jackson, now they will have to play Ervin Johnson, ouch.

14. Shapecity

^^they still have kandi man to play the majority of the minutes at center

15. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">knicks get KVH...</div>
    like he said "knicks get no one." :mrgreen:

i still think kvh will do better in new york, than in philly. he will be the 3rd option and the knicks defense is good enough to make up for his lack of intensity.

16. Ice

Ice JBB Member

Just image if the mavs were in the trade and got KVH [​IMG] that would be terrible for the team

17. olskoolfunktitude

KVH is nothing

18. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Hmmm.....Minnesota obviously helped themselves out, but it seems like they could've gotten a bit more for Brandon's contract. Expensive and aging talent isn't exactly a premium commodity these days and the Knicks have been trying to pawn off Spree forever. However, I do like Sprewell in Minnesota, his experience will help them come playoff time. This trade makes them a much more serious threat in the West. However, it is important to remember that losing one starter and adding 3 is a very big risk. This will be an adjustment for the old T-wolves as well as the new ones...not to mention the coaching staff. It will be an exercise in chemistry and patience in trying to get 3 new starters to learn and effectively use the offensive and defensive systems. Also, the new player will need to adjust to a new climate, city, media, arena, teammates, coaches and everything else you could possibly imagine. As good as the T-wolves look on paper, adding 3 starters in one off-season is a HUGE and risky adjustment for any team to make.

I think the Sixers also did very well for themselves in this deal. Glenn Robinson is flat out a better basketball player than Keith Van Horn. He has a great mid-range game and is a much better passer. Unlike Jerry Stackhouse and Larry Hughes, scorers who didn't mesh well with AI, Glenn Robinson doesn't need the ball in his hands constantly to score- So I think he'll be alright in Philly. Also don't forget that if playing for a contender for the Eastern Conference title rejuvanates Robinson's career, it won't be the first time a middle-aged and talented, but sluggish player starts playing for real again. I believe the Sixers will be better offwith Robinson than Van Horn

Atlanta also did nicely for themselves. They just earned a ton of cap room, Glenn Robinson wasn't going to help them win many ball games anyhow and now they have the ability to try Boris Diaw at the '3' and it could open up minutes for Travis Hansen as well. They will have all season to evaluate their young talent and try to build around Rahim, Terry and the two rookies. If they can add a max-contract worthy free-agent with the extra cap space, they'll be in good shape for '04. Having a lottery pick next June won't hurt either.

New York- I don't think New York will be hurt by this move, but they certainly aren't going to be helped by it either. They will win 30 something games again. What they should do is play their young players as much as possible, hope Mcdyess is healthy and gets off to a good start so they can trade him for some younger talent. Dangle Kurt Thomas and Othella Harrington as well, see what teams are willing to give up. Keep playing the young guys and wait patiently for Alan Houston, Shandon Anderson and KVH's contracts to expire to complete the cycle. Also, fire Scott Layden- when was the last time he did something that helped the team?

I can't wait for the season to start. I have November 12th in the 'Van Horn and Houston collide and end up with matching concussions as they drift aimlessly around the perimeter' office pool.

19. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

Now Philly will be really bad, even though Keith contributed a little he still contributed. Damn that Billy King, we want Croce, we want Croce!

20. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Love it Live- What would make you think Glenn Robinson won't contribute?

Remember, he's only 30, he is still young enough to have a career year playing on a team with a dominant scorer like AI- but not one crowded with similar players on offense like he was in Milwaukee.

I think a re-location, plus playing for a team in the thick of a Division title race, plus playing with a player of AI's caliber could be a real blessing for Glenn Robinson.